DVDVR Message Board

Starfield Omnibus Thread

I see that Bethesda is back to its infamous risk / rewards standards for quest rewards.   You go through all that trouble in Friends Like These just so that you can earn your UC citizenship and have the privilege of being able to buy the shitty apartment in The Well. 

They should allow you to purchase that dump on the cheap as soon as you arrive on Jemison, especially since your starter digs at the Lodge are 10000000% better.

I will eventually have the creds to buy the Penthouse so that I can display my Constellation spacesuit after I have enough points in Security to unlock the Mark I.  I know how to do the glitch, but will wait until picking the lock goes towards my skill challenge.

If I could only stop optimizing my ships long enough to save up the creds.  This game has a shit ton of money sinks.  It is the Anti-Skyrim.

Edited by J.T.

I am almost ready to unlock Persuasion Level 3 after I convinced a tracker not to bring in a woman trucker hauling contraband. 

I have upgraded my ship but not done any ship building, since I am still spending prob too much on ammo. 

I did get a laser rifle when I went to do the intro mission for Andreja. Forgot how much I like sniping in these games.

My first mission as a Ryujin employee has netted me my first Katana.  The Syndicate Enforcer is an Epic-level (purple) weapon and has Lascerate and Berserker as its perks. 

I'd have preferred Cripping or Titanium over Berserker, but Dueling give you DR while wielding a malee weapon and Berserker does a ton of damage when I'm dressed in street clothes only.  That's some item / skill synergy for your ass.

Looks like I'm either going to be using my firearms more when I have my spacesuit on or find a back-up melee weapon for when I have my spacesuit on.

You can always buy the Wakizashi from Hatchet, the Ebbside Strikers merchant, after you do your initial job for them, but now you will have yet another quest line rabbit hole to follow and if you did the Ryujin mission first, the Wakizashi is a downgrade.

I need to find someplace where I can farm for a Legendary katana.  One with Crippling / Titanium / Lacerate would be super awesome.

Edited by J.T.

I got some kind of blue level knife that does +20% damage to robots. That’s going in the favorites list.

I was so encombered after the Andreja mission I was like 210/140 partially because I was mining stuff on the planet in the part where you go get the second artifact in the caves. I guess I should start making stuff with all these materials I have now. 

19 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I was so encombered after the Andreja mission I was like 210/140 partially because I was mining stuff on the planet in the part where you go get the second artifact in the caves. I guess I should start making stuff with all these materials I have now. 

I just store mats at the Lodge.  Walter has provided all the equipment you need in the basement. 

And yeah, If you have a ton of materials, make your your favorite load-out is modded up as much as it can be.

If you have extra materials you want to burn, mod your trade fodder items for the extra XP and then sell the crap to a vendor. 

Sometimes you will change the class of a weapon and improve its value by modding.  I had a blue Extended Mag Eon that I fitted with a Laser Scope, Reflex Scope, Tactical Mag, and Muzzle Break and it became a Scout's Eon.  Putting in about 100 creds worth of materials into it boosted the sale price by over 1500 creds.  If only I had Commerce so that I could get closer to fair market for my garbage..

Edited by J.T.

I’ve only dabbled in research stuff since I know it’s time consuming. Maybe I get longer to play over the weekend. I’ve made some food and some medicene and that’s about it. I think I stopped last night at the Lodge so I may look at that stuff tonight. 

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I’ve only dabbled in research stuff since I know it’s time consuming. Maybe I get longer to play over the weekend. I’ve made some food and some medicene and that’s about it. I think I stopped last night at the Lodge so I may look at that stuff tonight. 

You get XP every time you complete a research project and when you do, you will have access to better mods and buffs when you craft things.   If you are on a hub world, there is usually a vendor like UC Distribution or the Trade Authority close by if you need to buy materials that you don't already have.

Just make a shopping list and only get what you need from the vendor so you aren't 1000% encumbered when you're done.  I keep Post-Its nearby, but you are playing on PC so you can just create a text document and jot down the items missing from the recipes.

Of course, if you need to do the challenges for Fitness and Weight Lifting, then sprinting around overencumbered by all the materials you bought is a good way to do double duty.  Triple duty if are also doing the challenge for Wellness and using healies to recover the health you lost via CO2 buildup while sprinting while heavy laden.

I would recommend adding Ballistic Shielding to your spacesuit and helmet since you do not openly embrace the wisdom of putting a rock or a shipping container in between yourself and incoming bullets.

Edited by J.T.

I'm also beginning to suspect that you haven't talked with Walter Stroud, Mark.  Sure, he's crotchety but he does apologize for calling you a thieving rock breaker when you engage him in conversation.

Speaking with him after you're done with One Small Step and following the dialogue will give you an Activity to complete where you can earn a little XP for completing a Research Project and Modding / Crafting an Item.  It's like one of the first things you should do after you arrive at the Lodge.

So yeah, despite the temptation, don't work on any Research Projects while you are still on Kreet wrapping up One Small Step. Talk to Walter, get the Activities, and then go back to the Frontier and use the Research Console there to work on the Research Projects.  IIRC, you can use the surplus items in the cargo hold for research without them actually having to be in your personal inventory.

I think this only works while you are onboard your home ship.   If you want to use the crafting benches or the research console someplace else, it is required for you to have the materials on your person.

If you are an over-optimizing min/max guy loaded with OCD (like me), save one of the Lab Uniforms you will find at the Research Facility on Kreet for when you begin your Research Projects.  If you are brave and want to roll the dice with your first addiction, pop a Synapse Alpha before starting work on Research Projects.

Edited by J.T.

I think i have that research mission in my queue.

And I've been doing the overexertion deal since I think I have the level 1 fitness perk. I was running around new Atlantis doing side quests and running up my CO2 meter. I know I did the one for the guy who wants a gem and part 2 of the Kenton mission where you get the data from the bearded guy who wants a MAST promotion. Luckily, I persuaded him to help me so I didn't have to hack his records. Also taking to Kenton this time, I had a Medicene dialog option about the tree. 

• Like 1

You need to invest skill points for more advanced research projects (or upgrades) and I have more important things to spend those on

My problem with using The Lodge as home base for research is that your room storage isn't linked to your ship's cargo so you have to a) haul shit up and down the stairs and b) haul shit from your ship. I already waste enough time in this game

However - this has lead to my problem where I would say 99% of my ship's cargo hull is full of resource materials for eventual upgrades that I can't use right now.

But dammed if all my weapons aren't gotten laser sights - that I know how to do

I am continuing on the UC questline and I am at the point where I am about to speak to the council. It's a very interesting question of why the terrormorph is at the planet early. Can't wait to find out what the answer is. 

I think I am going to put one more point into commerce so I can get the Narwhal at around 350k. Then it's onto spacesuit engineering and special projects so I can finish modding out my gear. I want to let you guys know that explosive rounds on a rifle is almost like cheating it's so good.  I doubt very seriously that I'll get anywhere close to finishing this game before Spiderman 2 comes out. There's just so much you can do and I haven't even begun to touch ship building.

*Rippa you don't have to haul stuff up and down the stairs. You can use tiny storage box in front of the research machine. It still doesn't link like the ship does but it saves time running up and down stairs. Also there is a power called personal atmosphere I think that somewhat makes being over encumbered trivial.

Edited by Shadow
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

You need to invest skill points for more advanced research projects (or upgrades) and I have more important things to spend those on

But dammed if all my weapons aren't gotten laser sights - that I know how to do

You say that now until you begin waiting for RNG to bless you with a rifle upgrade that already has Semi-Automatic, a Rifle Scope, and a Flash Suppressor attached.

And yeah, I figured out that the advantage to having your own crib is that it is attached to your Cargo Hold.  Lugging around tons of crap from UC Distro to the Lodge is not fun.  There is also a bug that causes you to take Enviro Damage while in Fast Travel because you cross the path of something that causes ED while you are in the black-out screen.

They need to patch this in a future update since it is very annoying.

And what Shadow said, there is a storage box close to the Research Center in the Lodge that is linked to the console.  You can store your junk there with the caveat that it is only linked to the equipment in the Lodge.

Edited by J.T.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

I see that Bethesda is back to its infamous risk / rewards standards for quest rewards.   You go through all that trouble in Friends Like These just so that you can earn your UC citizenship and have the privilege of being able to buy the shitty apartment in The Well. 

They should allow you to purchase that dump on the cheap as soon as you arrive on Jemison, especially since your starter digs at the Lodge are 10000000% better.

I will eventually have the creds to buy the Penthouse so that I can display my Constellation spacesuit after I have enough points in Security to unlock the Mark I.  I know how to do the glitch, but will wait until picking the lock goes towards my skill challenge.

If I could only stop optimizing my ships long enough to save up the creds.  This game has a shit ton of money sinks.  It is the Anti-Skyrim.

I am not sure if you just got this or not but it is ironic because I got the offer last night as well.

I didn't do anything because I wanted to make sure grabbing the place in The Well wasn't gonna bone me from future things.

I have more than enough credits because I haven't started down the ship building path yet. All I really buy are ammo and med packs and now that I got scavenger Tier 2 unlock, I am swimming in ammo

7 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I think I've modded one weapon and that either either the barrel or magazine size.

Don't think I've done anything with a spacesuit. 

I did pick up a cool looking casual outfit off a spacer but don't remember the name. It was blue. 

Without any investment in Spacesuit Engineering, you can add Ballistic Shielding and EM Shielding to a helmet, Ballistic Shielding to your suit, and Oxygen Reserve to your pack, provided you have completed the easy peasy Research Projects.  

Further research requires adding Skill Points to Spacesuit Engineering, Weapon Engineering, Gastrology, Mixology, and other skills you probably won't ever develop until maybe later on.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am not sure if you just got this or not but it is ironic because I got the offer last night as well.

I didn't do anything because I wanted to make sure grabbing the place in The Well wasn't gonna bone me from future things.

I have more than enough credits because I haven't started down the ship building path yet. All I really buy are ammo and med packs and now that I got scavenger Tier 2 unlock, I am swimming in ammo

Yep, I got it last night.  The UC Vanguard rabbit hole is quite deep.

Ronin get Scavenger from jump and mine is Tier 3.  The pockets on my spacesuit are bursting with ammo.  I can keep it on me forever since it has zero mass and then I can sell off the surplus for tons of creds since I don't use lasers, shotguns, or EM weapons for the time being. 

Farming ammo is one of the easiest ways to make money in this game.  You can carry a metric fuckton of ammo and never add to your encumbrance.

Edited by J.T.

My one and only EM weapon remains the one that came via questline

Not sure if that is just because of the enemy types I am fighting or what.

I also freely admit that I haven't been looking for them in the stores

Holy shit. This Frontier Deputy questline is really long. I feel like I'm getting close to the end of it, but I've been playing the storyline for 6 or 7 hours or more.

I did run the Red Mile. There's no point to even giving anything level numbers on that thing since all of the creatures just eat a lot of the stuff you throw at them. I used all of my weapons that do more damage against aliens and they were taking just a lot of damage. 

As far as housing goes, I was given the Penthouse for free based on my work. I've been in there once. I have no idea how to decorate it. I had a random encounter with one of the ships that originally left Earth and it was probably the 2nd generation of people living on that ship. They wound up giving me a bunch of old Earth "artifacts" like hockey sticks framed in shadow boxes, autographed baseballs and basketballs, and other stuff. I tried seeing if the shadow boxes or pictures would just snap onto the walls and they wouldn't. They would just fall right to the ground. So now I have a penthouse littered with a bunch of shit.

10 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I have been collecting the ping pong paddles. Got a red and yellow one.

Is there more than 1 autographed baseball? I keep getting Boston 1978, so is that the Bucky F'in Dent ball? 

I am genuinely surprised that you don't have like a collection of darts of various colored flights in your inventory.