DVDVR Message Board

DESTINY 2: Lightfall

RIPPA

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Did some Festival on Tuesday but then I started getting hit with the parade of Currant errors so I haven't gone back

Apparently that was an issue early in after the update. It was fine by nighttime. 

I am trying to pick up the random bits and bobs I haven't done yet while earning candy and pages

So like - I grabbed all the opaque cards I haven't gotten from the Spire yet and I started running Nightfalls to unlock the last Major card I have

I also need to do a better job of checking the Legendary Haunted Lost Sectors rotator so I can run the couple that I have missed so far

Just caught that. It makes me so damn happy. Its annoying having to load into a public space just to access my vault.

Looks like we are getting some economy changes as well which is nice if only because it will finally give me something to do with enhancement prisms. Its not even like I don't use them, but it feels like I have to delete a good 50 or more every season just to make room to take new ones from vendor rewards. Even with increased space I still had to delete a good 10-20 so far this season. Spending it on shards and alloys will be nice. 

We are also supposed to be getting more exotic changes though they haven't released full details on all. I just want a PvE buff for Dead Man's Tale.

Datto had a fun stream day yesterday

First he did a vault cleaning with dmg and then he did a Game Show around Destiny Shaders that included Joe Blackburn

In that - Joe revealed that starting in Final Shape, they are reworking the Shader icon to show all 6 colors

• Like 1

On 10/26/2023 at 4:13 PM, RIPPA said:

Datto had a fun stream day yesterday

First he did a vault cleaning with dmg and then he did a Game Show around Destiny Shaders that included Joe Blackburn

In that - Joe revealed that starting in Final Shape, they are reworking the Shader icon to show all 6 colors

Datto put out the game show on its own today. Joe is far more normal than you would think given his position. Kind of want to see him and others tortured though with lore game show from Byf and Myelin. Datto vs. Cross vs. Joe would be fun to see.

Hoo Boy

So apparently there are rumors (in conjunction with the layoffs today) that The Final Shape was delayed until June

I have only seen Datto mention it not actual confirmation of the delay

Fuck, just saw Cross's video on it. That sucks so damn much. Feel sorry for all the people laid off. Guessing Bungie had little idea it was coming until the last week or so.

Figured Marathon wasn't really coming until 2025. The Final Shape's delay worries the shit out of me. That might kill the game more than anything else even if the last season beforehand somehow manages to be the best season ever. 6-7 months makes it even longer than Season of the Lost, and there will be nothing there at the halfway point to keep people interested come March like there was with the 30th Anniversary. With the devs released this time around its even more worrying. 

Sounds like around 100 or so people were fired. Also looks like they missed their projected revenue by 45% hence the firings.

I see people wanting to blame Sony or Bungie purely, but it sounds like a bit of both situation based on Bungie's bad management from high level execs and Sony having layoffs in multiple companies likely due to restructuring with Jim Ryan's retiring. 

This stuff is always so frustrating to read since the people most responsible in execs rarely ever get canned. How many jobs likely could have been saved by firing just one or two of the assholes making dumb decisions at the top?

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

No TWID this week (unsurprisingly)

They put out a statement basically saying they know they have lost everyone's trust and they have to get it back

They didn't officially announce a delay of The Final Shape but if you read between the lines - it is there

52 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

No TWID this week (unsurprisingly)

They put out a statement basically saying they know they have lost everyone's trust and they have to get it back

They didn't officially announce a delay of The Final Shape but if you read between the lines - it is there

I didn't expect anything to really be announced. Not sure why other people were, but we are still in the middle of a major shift. I doubt they themselves are fully sure of what is going on yet as they probably have to restructure teams based around who is left. With fans cancelling pre-orders over this there also the ever slimmest possibility we see some bloodletting at the top though that still feels doubtful.

I assume they announce the delay officially when they can finally take stock and assess the damage from the layoffs. Earliest we hear something is next week.

It is interesting hearing the amount of people actually working on the game (650). That is a little over half the studio. Makes me curious how many fired were working on Destiny vs. Marathon. Also makes me curious on how big the team sizes are for other games they have in development.

Edited by Eivion

18 minutes ago, Eivion said:

It is interesting hearing the amount of people actually working on the game (650). That is a little over half the studio. Makes me curious how many fired were working on Destiny vs. Marathon. Also makes me curious on how big the team sizes are for other games they have in development.

It is completely anecdotal but sifting through tweets from now Ex-Bungie employees and content creators - a lot of the people were working on Marathon or they had "completed" their work on Final Shape

Side note - there is gonna be a podcast (I think it is tomorrow) that is gonna feature Datto, Cross and BYF talking about this shitshow of a week

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

It is completely anecdotal but sifting through tweets from now Ex-Bungie employees and content creators - a lot of the people were working on Marathon or they had "completed" their work on Final Shape

Side note - there is gonna be a podcast (I think it is tomorrow) that is gonna feature Datto, Cross and BYF talking about this shitshow of a week

That is interesting. I thought maybe it was rush job with the firings, but some of it might have been more strategic than just stopping the bleed money wise. Cross got word from people who tried Marathon that the players weren't super receptive of it. That is why it was pushed back into next 2025. I'm guessing if it was more positive the end of 2024 would have been the release.

Saw Datto mention doing a podcast with someone soon about the news. I did not realize it would be Cross and Byf. That should been interesting. They feel like the best balance of D2 content creators all together.

Edited by Eivion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1Zr7j5YYmc&pp=ygUJYXp0ZWNyb3Nz

Cross giving some clarifications and thoughts on things he heard about Marathon from an insider. He made some mistake with one of hs previous vids due to admitted bias. He also more or less got confirmation that the public faces of Bungie are not the higher ups to blame. Those are people we have never heard of or seen. Would have thought Parsons was at least among that group.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2023/11/03/new-revelations-about-destiny-2-declines-bungie-layoffs-and-final-shape-as-make-or-break/?sh=6918025b3947

More from Paul Tassi

• Execs took no pay cuts, and it likely will never be a thing. Most they did was no annual bonuses.
  • The new PvP Strike team got hit with the cuts a bit though the map pack is still on track for next year.  The Player security team on the other hand did get hit harder.
  • No one is blaming Sony internally as the purchase basically made sure a loss like this year's doesn't kill the company. 
  • The money from the purchase that was for employee retention is already gone, mostly going to buying out shares. The new building some people were mad about just doesn't match up time wise with money loss and wouldn't have made a difference had it not been made.
  • The Final Shape delay was supposedly known by a few as far as a couple of months ago. There isn't enough time for a 30th anniversary type of situation to help kill for time, but something will be there.
  • In game LFG was announced way too early to the point where the community knew it would be a thing before some devs. It will happen, but the road to it has not been easy.
  • As much as the community and devs bitch about microtransactions they apparently really do help out a good deal in keeping things afloat, including the highly maligned event cards.
Edited by Eivion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMsD4Mb1k0k

The first part after the long intro is the D2 section. They talk for a good hour. Its interesting hearing all 3 together. They make a good point about them waiting too long to do something to bring in and retain newer players. Its clear they need a new introductory story there, and whatever they have isn't cutting it. They also make a good point that whatever comes in Final Shape no matter how good we will see the core community change on some level as too many were ready to leave even before all of the issues from this past year. Datto expects at least a good 15-30% will jump off and he said that was him being conservative. 

Still every time I hear talk about trust needing to be regained I just can't see that happening until the upper execs either take pay cuts or someone like Parsons is switched out.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

I realized that I haven't played at all this week and I can't remember the last time that has happened outside of when I travel at Christmas time

The current situation had really dulled my motivation at the moment to keep playing and I know I am not the only who feels that way

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I realized that I haven't played at all this week and I can't remember the last time that has happened outside of when I travel at Christmas time

The current situation had really dulled my motivation at the moment to keep playing and I know I am not the only who feels that way

I've been same with this and even at times before Season of the Witch when the community was at its angriest. I play, but it noticeably goes down a good deal during these times. I was supposed to be finishing up Festival of Lost and try to get the ritual ornament for Gambit this week but barely played any of the past week until last night. I still enjoy the game, but its hard to hold enthusiasm/motivation when it feels like everything is on fire.

Will try to play more today though I'm not sure how much I will really do.

Edited by Eivion