DVDVR Message Board

2023 HORROR THREAD

RIPPA

15 hours ago, J.T. said:

I posted Trailer 1 and the short a few pages back.

Oops, my bad. Honestly, not a very interesting or inspiring short and I'm a bit surprised that it made it as a proof of concept for a feature. I've worked on enough shorts to recognise good production design and lighting/camera work, but nothing else about this suggested that anyone needs to see more than four minutes of it.

• Thanks 1

Finally went to see Thanksgiving -- and yes, it actually had some people in the crowd (unfortunately haha). I think if I had to count there were two, maybe three couples, and there were about four teenagers in front of me in the front row, but they were respectful. Hell, nobody even laughed during the film, I thought it was a little too quiet almost. A couple things. 

Spoiler

- This was one hell of a scathing rebuke against society's obsession with cell phones. If they don't make you ill seeing one after seeing ALL of the ones in this film, I dunno what to tell you. 

- Rick Hoffman just seems so skeezy in anything and the G. Gordon Liddy mustache didn't help. 

- The mask looked just like Adam Driver. I thought it was funny. Especially since there was a trailer for Ferrari before the movie.

- Kills were really mean as expected, and I dug how he managed to sneak in stuff from the fake trailer as serious parts of the film. The oven scene was handled... about as well as you could do that without getting into (literal) overkill. 

- The kids were still annoying and I hated them. But really, you couldn't make them completely sympathetic with what he was going for, or couldn't until the end of the picture which they will be for THE SEQUEL~! Which of course, is already in production.

- Normally I'd be hype with hearing "When Eagles Dare" at the end but it just brought up memories I didn't want to think about, like the people I would have watched the picture with if I hadn't had to ghost them. So, bittersweet, and I didn't enjoy the drive home. But I'm back now. 

So to overview, it was good, felt a little long, but wasn't. It'll be fun to catch on TV. And really... Eli Roth made that? Really? That's... pretty fucking conventional of him.

• Like 1

Checked out Takashi Shimizu's latest J-Horror joint, SANA, while working night duty.

The trailer may look creepy, but I was thoroughly disappointed with the feature length movie.  It's a tired rehash of nearly every J-Horror trope you can imagine.

Shimizu's other project, Immersion, came out this past summer and snuck past me.

I've heard that Immersion is more laurel resting on past success, but I'd rather watch it and judge for myself.

Edited by J.T.

Siksa Neraka

Directed by Anggy Unbara (Suicide Village)

Starring:  Rizky Fachrel, Kiesha Alvaro, Ratu Sofya, Nayla Purnama

Releases in Indonesia on 14 December.  Hopefully will have a limited release in the US.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Lord of Misrule

Directed by William Brent Bell (Stay Alive, Wer, The Boy I and II, Orphan:  First Kill)

Starring:  Starring Tuppence Middleton, Ralph Ineson

In theaters starting 8 December.

Baghead

Directed by Alfred Corredor (based on his short film of the same name)

Starring:  Freya Allen, Saffron Burrows, Peter Mullan

In theaters 28 December.

Edited by J.T.

51 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

So they shortened it further to two minutes?

I think the original short is two minutes or so.  The feature length joint is pushing two hours last time I checked, but it is in post-production so it might get shortened to ninety minutes and some change.

13 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Just a joke about the trailer being the whole movie

I've been on night duty for the past six days.  My sense of humor and alertness are at all time lows.

And yeah, they do their best to give the whole movie away in that trailer.

• Like 1

Handling the Undead (listed on IMDB as Håndtering av udøde)

It is based on the book by John Ajvide Lindqvist. Lindqvist is who wrote Let The Right One In

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

https://www.rogerebert.com/features/the-best-horror-films-of-2023

Well shit. I've seen exactly one of these.

Since obviously you just saw Thanksgiving - that means you haven't seen Talk to Me which I thought you would have by now (or Evil Dead Rise or Skinamarink for that matter)

It's absurd that I haven't seen Evil Dead Rise. It's just sitting there on my DVR staring at me and cursing, like the possessed chick in the basement in the first one. Talk to Me just sounded like another Monkey's Paw riff and Skinamarink, I don't remember anything about. The film's title reminding me of the song isn't pleasant. Really I should have seen either of the two Brandon Cronenberg films and haven't. Nor his old man's latest. I'm just real bad about catching new stuff I guess. If it gets flogged to death I don't watch it on principle and if I know I'll watch it it's always "I can get around to it later". I still have Sound of Violence, Organ Trail, In Fabric, and all of the new Creepshow episodes on the DVR to watch. Fuck, it's not like I have anything else to do... grrrrrr

• Like 1