DVDVR Message Board

IMPACT! WRESTLING - 2023

Put on Pluto and of course the Impact channel is on.

it’s the October 8th 2003 Weekly PPV which I was able to order when I was a kid. So I decided to watch it.

AMW Vs Kid Kash and Abyss was in progress. It was the tail end of the match, it seemed like a good match. Southern Territory tag match as it’d be referred to here. AMW kicked out of the finishers. Ref bump and Kash throws a steal chair in James Storms fucking face and Storm kicks out. AMW picks up the win. It’s Denim Vest abyss and Kash is wearing those AJ Styles bicycle short tights. I don’t remember him having a short tights phase but evidently thru he did. After the match Kash shoved Abyss why does Abyss’s partners also go to Abyss him. Abyss finally has enough and roughs Kash up a bit and the crowd is into it.

Don Callis cuts a promo and holy shit 20 years ago and he’s still cutting some of the best heel promos. The dude can talk.

Paid Message from Shane Douglas. He’s looking for the new Franchise or something.

Next up Is Sinn who I believe is Kizarny or The Karny whatever the fuck they called him or if you’re like me and you know him as “Fatty” from Edges book. Well Sinn is a member of the New Church who Raven is currently feuding with so of course Sinn is facing Raven. It’s a short match but both men bleed buckets for some reason. Raven id in control for most the match he wins then hangs Sinn over the ring ropes with a chain. Raven corners James Mitchell Slash runs out Raven makes quick work of him almost gets his hands on Mitchell then Vampiro runs out and Slash and Vamp end up hanging Raven with a chain from the balcony and piñata him. CM Punk and Julio Dinero make the save for Raven. A lot going on.

Mike Tenay and Don West announce the first 3 hour Sunday PPV set for November yeah that happens.

It’s Main Event time it’s AJ Styles defending his NWA World Heavyweight Championship against Dusty Rhodes. Before the match AJ Styles is backstage with Umaga Sonny Siaki and Trinity and tells them he’s gonna do it by himself tonight then a drunk Vince Russo shows up. It has never sat right with me that AJ’s first World Title reign was more about Vince Russo than it was AJ Styles. There’s a really good video package before the match explaining the build up to this match. AJ’s “You are, you are. I am, I am” theme may be his best theme. If and it’s a big if AJ ever leaves WWE and ends up in AEW I hope TK gets the rights to that theme for him. I remember when I saw this 20 years ago I was hyped for it and I remember being upset with the finish. I have not seen the match since I first saw it. The structure of this match is AJ is determined to beat the old timer prove he’s as good if not better than the legend. That means AJ is aggressive and determined to best Dusty but Dusty is a season vet and a little tougher than AJ anticipated. They make a point to let you know Vince Russo is drunk throughout. AJ and Dusty end up brawling in the crowd. Dusty gets cut open. There’s a spot I liked a lot, Dusty threw a chair in AJ’s face AJ takes one of his patented AJ bumps in a row of chairs and Dusty sits in a chair and takes a breather. They end up back in the ring AJ tries to get the upper hand but Dusty has some gas left in the tank. Dusty is able to pull off an Atomic Elbow which ago sold line getting shot out of a cannon. AJ gets a front face chin lock for an extended amount of time and the work Dusty does trying to fight out of it is marvelous I mean that he gets the crowd to chant for him he loses steam, AJ goes for a moonsault misses twerks his knee Dusty takes advantage of AJs hurt knee ties him up in the turnbuckle then puts in the figure four. AJ grabs the ref throws him out of the ring, then taps so Dusty gets up and celebrates like he just won. A bat is sneaked into the ring to AJ who hits Dusty in the knee with it. Both men are down. AJ gets up first limps to the turnbuckle but decides no he’s gonna put in the figure four. There’s a spot that made me chuckle where AJ grabs Russo for leverage and Vince falls backwards cuz he’s drunk. AJ uses the ropes as leverage to apply more pressure onto Dusty’s knees, Dusty’s shoulders on flat on the mat the ref doesn’t see AJ uses the ropes and counts 3. AJ Styles wins. I always remembered the match being a no contest with a bunch of run ins but all of that happens after the match. The match is good. It plays to Dusty’s strengths. George Foreman winning the Boxing World Championship in his 50’s a few times I’m surprised he was featured in a pre tape with Dusty. I’m not upset per say with how AJ won as he was so determined to beat Dusty he didn’t care how he did it. I wish there was more time for the victory to marinate before Russo took the mic and made it him and Dusty’s issues completely overshadowing AJ’s victory. I would have liked if they had done the ref sees AJ on the ropes on the two count breaks up the figure four maybe Dusty gets to his knees swings from his knees AJ does a Pele Kick screams like he did when he misses the moonsault, another both men are down spot AJ limps to the turnbuckle again this time goes up hits the moonsault 1-2-3 clean in the ring. They had time as there was all that Gaga at the end why not give the match more time. But that’s not what we got and the match that was presented to us was good for what it was. Impact has uploaded the match to YouTube I’ll post it so if you haven’t seen AJ Vs Dusty you can. 

Edited by WebConn89
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Matt D said:

This is kind of a crazy notion but I half wonder if society hasn’t moved on enough that most people under a certain age don’t even know what “T&A” is.

This reminds me of when it was explained to me how little the youngs care for or appreciate Looney Toons. Stuff that felt omnipresent when I was younger just disappearing from culture. I feel ancient.

• Like 3