DVDVR Message Board

J.T.

“Creswick” by Natalie Erika James.

When she got a studio to back her up and received a decent production budget, this short became the feature length film, Relic.

Edited by J.T.

While the final season of her hit series Ozark is set to premiere later this month on Netflix, Emmy winner Julia Garner looks to be already setting up her next big project. Sources tell Deadline that she has signed on to star in Paramount Players’ Apartment 7A. John Krasinski and Allyson Seeger are producing via Sunday Night along with Michael Bay, Andrew Form and Brad Fuller via their Platinum Dunes.  

Natalie Erika James is attached to direct and co-wrote the latest script with Christian White based off a draft by Skylar James. Alexa Ginsburg is overseeing the project for Sunday Night. Alex Ginno is overseeing for Platinum Dunes. Plot details are being kept under wraps, but it is being described as a psychological thriller.  

julia-garner-at-ozark-season-2-special-s

Odds are that this movie will end up being:

Spoiler

somehow related to Rosemary's Baby since Garner in her pixie cut could probably pull off Mia Farrow / Rosemary Woodhouse.

rosemarys-baby-2.jpg

As you can see from a couple posts above this one, this movie is in good hands if Natalie Erika James is in the director's chair.

Edited by J.T.

"Psychological thriller". Good to see obfuscating studio lingo hasn't changed since the late '90s. 

EDIT: Make that the early '90s, since the term was born with The Silence of the Lambs. "It's not a horror film" my pale white ass...

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Salem's Lot remake has been delayed until April 21, 2023

It was scheduled for Sept 9

Warner Brothers also removed The Last Train to New York (The English language version of Train to Busan) from the schedule

I am sorta hoping that The Last Train to New York will end up in dev hell.  If it is released, it had better be awesome.  It has big shoes to fill.

Eventually they will remake every Stephen King book-to-film project all over again.   We've had IT!, Firestarter, and now 'Salem's Lot gets a reboot not too far removed from being a miniseries on TNT.

Edited by J.T.

15 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

And what is funny is you already forgot about Pet Sematary

The Pet Sematary reboot did not have the courage to pull the trigger on Zombie Gage.  Boo, I say.  Boo.

The mean-spirited ending with the Zombie Creed family trying to reunite the family in undeath by going to murder the baby redeemed the movie ever so slightly.

The only part of the movie really worth watching is the end credits.  The Starcrawler cover of Pet Sematary by The Ramones was pretty awesome.

I did not think that anything in the new Firestarter would be worse than wooden Drew Barrymore in the original, but there is Zac Efron right there mailing it in for the paycheck.

Edited by J.T.

My daughter loved the trailer.  It was attached to The Black Phone (which she also loved).  I think we've also got Barbarian and Nope (obviously) in our sights.

This might be the first summer that I can recall when the majority of films that are high on our father / daughter movie outings radar are horror films.

Edited by J.T.

It is clear that Satan's hate for me is personal.

Finn Wolfhard rocketed to fame on the soon-ending Stranger Things, and now he’s making sure he will have a wide portfolio of work when the show concludes. The 19-year-old actor is branching out into starring in, co-directing, and co-writing a new horror-comedy production. The plot is currently under wraps.

Edited by J.T.

The prequel you did not know you needed until now.

Orphan:  First Kill

Directed by William Brent Bell

Starring: Isabelle Fuhrman, Rossif Sutherland, Julia Stiles

In theaters on August 19th! 

Bodies Bodies Bodies, The Invitation, Barbarian, and now Orphan:  First Kill.   August is shaping up to be quite the stacked month for horror joints.  The Summer of Scare kicked off with The Black Phone and rolls on when Nope comes out on the 22nd..

Yeah.  Isabelle mother fucking Fuhrman is reprising her role as Esther.  No CGI or digital effects to alter her height or make her look younger.  Just great camera work, lighting, and Fuhrman pouring herself into the role.

Edited by J.T.

She Will 

Directed by Charlotte Colbert.

Presented by Dario mother fucking Argento!

Starring: Malcolm McDowell, Alice Krige, Rupert Everett, Kota Eberhardt

In theaters and VOD starting tomorrow!

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Good Madam

Directed by Jenna Cato Bass.

Starring: Chumisa Cosa, Nosipho Mtebe, Kamvalethu Jonas Raziya, Sanda Shandu, Khanyiso Kenqa, Sizwe Ginger Lubengu, Siya Sikawuti, Peggy Tunyiswa and Chris Gxalaba.

Written by Jenna Cato Bass, Chumisa Cosa, Nosipho Mtebe, Kamvalethu Jonas Raziya, Sanda Shandu, Khanyiso Kenqa, Sizwe Ginger Lubengu, Siya Sikawuti, Peggy Tunyiswa, Chris Gxalaba and Babalwa Baartman. 

That's not a typo.  The entire cast shares writing credit with the director.

Debuts on Shudder this weekend..

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, Good Madam is a real punch in the stomach.  The social evils of apartheid turned into a horror movie with complex characters and a plot that will really stick in your brain for a long time.

Spoiler

The elderly white woman that the main character's mother takes care of is a fucking witch!   She has been using an incantation from Egyptian burial rites in order to trap the souls of the black servants of her family so that they will be her slaves after death!

Edited by J.T.

Dunno if anyone has checked out the Resident Evil series on Netflix but it's actually pretty good. Lance Reddick is predictably awesome and while there are some winks and nods to the games it is pretty much its own separate entity. I've watched 6 of the 8 episodes so far and while it isn't perfect it is enjoyable. I don't wanna say too much until I finish the series but its worth checking out if for no other reason than Reddick. He carries the show on his back.

• Like 2

Prey for the Devil

Directed by Daniel Stamm (The Last Exorcism, Them S1E4)

Starring Jacqueline Byers, Colin Salmon, Virginia Madsen, Ben Cross.

In theaters on October 28th!  Possibly could be one of your 31 Days of Halloween joints.

Edited by J.T.

Brianne Tju is making her rounds.  She's featured in the thriller, Gone in the Night, with Winona Rydar and also:

Unhuman

Directed by Marcus Dunstan 

Also starring Benjamin Wadsworth and Uriah Shelton

Somehow this slipped past my radar.  It was released digitally and on VoD this past June.

Edited by J.T.

Wicked Ones

Sequel to The Wicked One (if anyone every watched that)

I can't stop laughing at the still with the dude wearing the skull and cross bones tank