DVDVR Message Board

NXT on USA - 3/3/2021

Dolfan in NYC

As evil as Dakota as been since her turn, the continuity geek in me was so rooting her on against Shayna lol I dug the chicanery at the end too.

I'm not sure what's up with the poor Robert Stone brand. 

• Like 1

Robert Stone breaking out in hives over Shotzi and her tahnk continues to be the best story in NXT.

Tag title match was disappointing especially the finish. I hope this doesn't lead to a NXT women's tag titles but I'm guessing that's what happens.

Next week's episode is loaded with Cole/Balor and IO/Toni.

• Like 1

Ciampa/Thatcher vs. 1-2 was good stuff. Ciampa & Thatcher only seem to be getting better and better as a team and their styles meshes perfectly with Lorcan & Burch. I so hope we get this match again for the belt. The Imperium stuff was neat and also kind of interesting since they all but confirmed Imperium is Ringkampf backstage when talking about Thatcher's history with them.

Ember/Aliyah had some fun moments, but also seemed off. Not a great showing for either though I do continue to love Robert Stone and his feud with Shotzi.

Dakota/Raquel vs. Nia/Shayna did well playing off of Shayna & Dakota's history. Match was solid up until the finish which felt more main roster-esque. The way things played out it feels like we are getting a main roster or Raw vs. NXT thing happening with women. At least that was what I thought until Regal's segment backstage. 

11 minutes ago, Tim Evans said:

Tag title match was disappointing especially the finish. I hope this doesn't lead to a NXT women's tag titles but I'm guessing that's what happens.

I hope you're wrong as well. While NXT does have enough talent for it I just don't see a good reason for them to not have the regular tag belts there. If this is happening then I'm guessing Vince refuses to let the belts stay in NXT for a bit despite NXT having a stronger division to work with. He actually has given the belts more play and focus on the main roster than he has either men's tag titles for Smackdown & Raw so I can see that being the case.

Just throwing this out there, but I love how much Wade loves and hypes up NXT's women's division. He sells it as the best division in wrestling nearly every week.

The Way vs. Therapist was good fun and a nice swerve at the end with Johnny being such a manipulative bastard.

Took a bit for me to get into Balor/Strong since I'm not fond of Strong despite thinking he is good, but it turned into a nice match by the end. Still can't say I'm excited for Balor/Cole at all. 

Presenting a serious Mexican gang-style beatdown and then panning to a victim laying there wearing an astronaut helmet is one of the most unintentionally funny things I've ever seen in my life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just the other day I was wondering if there had been a women's match yet in NXT (or WWE in general) where the female ref takes a bump. If there hadn't (and I couldn't come up with an example), we have a first. Funny that it happened almost as soon as I started wondering about it, but obviously it had to happen sooner or later.

Finn/Roddy is exactly how a champ vs. midcard non-title match should go. Roddy got enough in to look good without wasting his big moves, and Finn controlled most of the match and countered a couple of Roddy's signature spots just a beat earlier than you'd expect in a full-on main event epic and got the decisive win with his full finisher sequence uninterrupted. This version of Finn is far more credible and menacing than the demon ever was. Just great stuff from him in every match now it seems like. Next week will be his biggest test against the master of overkill Adam Cole.

They blew a huge opportunity with the women's tag. Dakota pinning Shayna would've been a great long-term arc. Instead, Shayna mostly dominated her again and Dakota/Raquel ended up looking weak despite the fuck finish.

The Gargano Family sitcom makes me wonder why Johnny was a blue-chipper face for so long. His heel suburban dad gimmick is amazing, and lord help me, makes me want to watch Austin Theory of all people.

Santos Escobar is way too badass to just be CW champ. I'd love to see him feud with Finn.

I love LA Knight's promos. He's got such a smooth, old-school sound. I hope his matches are at least half as good.

Cameron Grimes' gimmick seems like it should be really bad, but he's killing it every week too.

Damn, NXT has a lot of awesome midcard acts right now.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

Damn, NXT has a lot of awesome midcard acts right now.

Yeah, NXT's midcard is freakin stacked, with multiple valid contenders just snapping at the chance at the top.

Also, gotta appreciate how freakin solid Roderick Strong continues to be. So incredibly versatile in the ring, will get a good match out of anyone.