DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 25: Anderson vs. Błachowicz II (2/15/2020) - Rio Rancho, NM (Santa Ana Star Center)

Elsalvajeloco

Jesus, two fights on the same main card? And that plum knee while Diego was trying to backtrack the fuck out was fucking PINPOINT. Michel looked great. Better pacing, picked his shots better (tbf Diego didn't make that hard at all), just overall the best Pereira until that knee. Gimme more of that. 

But yeah, that didn't look like a fair fight on size alone, then you add in the physical and technical advantages and it was pretty scary. 

• Like 1

WOW. I didn't see that coming. Beautiful short hook right on the button. 

Do you run with Blachowicz or do the rematch with Reyes? Both are viable but I don't know about how much of a chance Blachowicz has due to sheer size differential. I think you'd see full on bully Jones in that fight.

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

Do you run with Blachowicz or do the rematch with Reyes? Both are viable but I don't know about how much of a chance Blachowicz has due to sheer size differential. I think you'd see full on bully Jones in that fight.

We got four guys (Jones, Marreta, Reyes, and Blachowicz). Two of the latter three have to be in a title eliminator unless you want to stretch out the light heavyweight division title fights into 2021. Marreta vs. Blachowicz is not exactly the best fight to make cause that first fight wasn't particularly entertaining until Blachowicz opened up and then Marreta took advantage. I mean now you can say Anderson vs. Blachowicz I wasn't riveting and then Jan knocked him out in the rematch. Well, that first fight was years ago. Marreta and Blachowicz fought a year ago exactly. You can make a case for all three guys getting a fight against Jon. If Marreta wants a bounce back fight after his injuries, he could fight Reyes or I guess Blachowicz again.

3 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Do we have a ETA on Marreta's return?

He indicated June or earlier.

Personally, I would slot whatever title eliminator fight as the headliner for an ESPN show and schedule it around Jon's next defense. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Reyes deserves a immediate rematch.

He's looking at how Floyd Mayweather used to pick his opponents, and do his best to fight them once they were past their fighting prime, but at the peak of their fame and popularity. But he's doing it well wrong.

9 hours ago, Oyaji said:

i'd book Jones/Blachowicz.
fresh matchup, 3 straight wins, 7-1 in last 8 with 4 stoppages (2 TKO, 2 SUB).
Reyes is right behind him, but let him bounce back with a win and get his head back into the right mindset. 

personally, the fight that interests me the most is Jones vs Rumble Johnson. i know he had talked about getting back into the USADA testing pool and the speculation was him returning at Heavyweight, but that's 100% the fight i want to see before this Jones trains derails.

I wouldn't go so far as to call Rumble a mental midget because Cormier just can take hellacious punishment and keep on ticking. So he can wait for you to unload the full clip because he can take just about anyone down and wear on them. If you're use to pineboxing dudes in seconds, how are you going to feel if some dude takes your best punches and then no sells it mere moments later? Rumble's takedown defense improved when was at Blackzilians, but Cormier is an Olympic level wrestler who could have matched anyone's physicality.

Now...this era Daniel Cormier after a litany of back injuries and advancing age....I don't think he is doing that again to Anthony Johnson. He has been stopped once in what would end up being a no contest and then stopped again against Stipe in the rematch. He can't take ungodly strikes to the face anymore and just recover automatically. Plus, you're not coming these fights at 100% anyway. That's why he didn't even fuck around in the Derrick Lewis fight.

I think Rumble's window, if we're talking about pre-retirement, was the same as Reyes. He has two rounds max. After that, Jon is taking over the fight. Keep in mind, Jon Jones would never just stand in front of him anyway. He can do what he did to Manuwa and Glover because what they bring to table includes using their boxing skills. Unless you're willing to do what Marreta did and just be in Jon's face for most of the fight with no fear of consequence, Jon is going to low kick you and keep you at bay trying to figure out how to close the distance.

Didn't Johnson display some really weird decision making in the second DC fight that confused even the commentary team? It seemed like he wilted in that fight. It has been almost 3 years but I remember thinking that guy is done as a top level guy with that performance and then he retired.

Just now, Oyaji said:

Didn't Johnson display some really weird decision making in the second DC fight that confused even the commentary team? It seemed like he wilted in that fight. It has been almost 3 years but I remember thinking that guy is done as a top level guy with that performance and then he retired.

I think it was his corner conversation with Henri Hooft, and Henri Hooft said he thought he quit in the fight months after the fact.

Make no mistake though, he would have still been a top guy with that type of power.