DVDVR Message Board

Random TV Thoughts

EVA

So I've been binge watching Friday Night Lights on Netflix . Great series so far, but what in the name if holy fuck was with the pipe murder at the beginning of season 2? Not only was it a disappointment as a conclusion of that particular story arc, but it seemed way out of place for the show as well. Please tell me ridiculous bullshit like this isn't a recurring theme in the upcoming.seasons?

Yeah, that one ends up sticking out like a sore thumb.  You won't see anything else like it the entire rest of the series.

So I watched season 5 of Dexter.  Ended up being a LOT better than I expected.  Yes, there's still plenty of implausible BS - Dex and Lumen don't seem to always care about fingerprints - but I liked it.  How much of that is because I have unreasonable love of Julia Stiles?  I dunno but she was really good here and I definitely enjoyed the whole season.

I also really wish I could be there when Tabe watches these last couple of seasons. At the very least, Tabe, could you live blog some key episodes for us?

This is so awesome. I'm giddy. I'm actually giddy.

This is a serious Pollyanna test.  So far he's showing high signs of a delusionally forgiving nature.

But everyone has a breaking point.

Dude, they gave me a full season of Julia Stiles. 

I am particularly interested in how quickly he "calls" the season 6

EDWARD JAMES OLMOS PLOT TWIST!!!! Oh, fuck you Dexter writers.

I still wish there was some record of how the season 6 writers expected that to be greeted.  Like they really thought there would be youtube reaction videos of astonished viewers who didn't see it coming.

• Like 1

This is so awesome. It feels like a psychological experiment and Tabe is our test subject. I need to stop at Office Max on the way home and buy a journal.

I also really wish I could be there when Tabe watches these last couple of seasons. At the very least, Tabe, could you live blog some key episodes for us?

This is so awesome. I'm giddy. I'm actually giddy.

Yeah, I could maybe do that for you guys.  Why not?  I've got a tablet there the whole time I'm watching anyway...

We pinpointed it pretty well where the was a revolving door of producers and/or writers, right?

I would pin some of the blame on Showtime too, since they were apparently interfering quite a bit.

Look at how Homeland fell apart this season too. Not sure these guys know how to handle a genuine hit show.

Season 5 of Dexter could have been amazing if Jonny Lee Miller had used his excellent Scottish accent from Trainspotting instead of his patchy American one from Eli Stone.

Needed to mix in some of his awesome skillz from Hackers too.

I'm in the minority. I, too, enjoyed Season 5. I definitely agree with everyone else on the rest of the series. It's just horrible. Though, I will admit to only watching the first 6 episodes of the final season but it sounds like I made the right decision.

So I've been binge watching Friday Night Lights on Netflix . Great series so far, but what in the name if holy fuck was with the pipe murder at the beginning of season 2? Not only was it a disappointment as a conclusion of that particular story arc, but it seemed way out of place for the show as well. Please tell me ridiculous bullshit like this isn't a recurring theme in the upcoming.seasons?

Yeah, that one ends up sticking out like a sore thumb.  You won't see anything else like it the entire rest of the series.

In the Grantland article some months ago, the creators basically admitted that it was a mistake. 

RE: The Duck Dynasty controversy.

I don't agree with the guy's comments, but I do think the people freaking out over it are being a tad melodramatic. Wow, a 67-year-old man from the south has some not exactly PC feelings on gay people! Shocker!

At some point you'd think it would be easier to just roll your eyes, dismiss him as an old kook and then move on. As opposed to causing a fuss, making the story 100 times bigger than it would have been, and turning the guy into a hero of free speech for many.

I agree, to a point.  Certainly, no one should have been surprised by the Robertsons' beliefs, considering their religion.  Geographic location also plays a role in this, but not as much as some would think.  Sarah Palin hasn't ever lived in the South, and she pretty much thinks the same way.

That said, he equated homosexuality to near-bestiality.  And never mind that many are ignoring his 'coloreds were happy in the cotton field back in the day' comments.  Also, equating duck calls to vaginas over anuses. There's belief, and there's downright lunacy.

• Like 1

I just don't who exactly is being aided by all this furor over what is, essentially, an eccentric old dude sounding off.

A&E are stuck between a rock and a hard place with their $400 million dollar cash cow in jeopardy.

Christian groups are pissed off because they think it's a threat to their religious freedom.

Various gay groups are now getting labelled with the "intolerant" tag and an incident like this is absolutely going to inflame anti-gay feelings and emotion.

Everyone's got that crazy uncle at Thanksgiving with the wacky political beliefs but we don't call GLAAD on them or threaten to boycott family events. You just sigh and ignore it.

I do think his comments about black people were misinterpreted though. He was not saying slavery was better or anything like that. I think his argument was that when he was growing up in the 50s and 60s black people were happier, as opposed to now when they get told by everyone that they're victims and conditioned to life on welfare, etc. Dubious? Yes. But he was not saying slavery was OK or anything like that.

No, he was saying Jim Crow era south was better than today.  Which, while not as bad as saying slavery was better, it's still horrific.

And he pretty much equated homosexuality, bestiality, and terrorism together.

Of course, A&E has already filmed the next season of Duck Dynasty, with him in it, and would anyone be shocked if, by the time it comes to film the season after that, and this is all nearly a year in the past, they quietly lift his suspension?

In the meantime, A&E gets to do some damage control PR work, the show gets some publicity ahead of it's next season premiere, and possibly gets a "Support Chik-fil-a" effect boost.

But the bigoted asshole is still a bigoted asshole.

• Like 3