DVDVR Message Board

Lucha Underground Discussion

Robert

I assume after Cuerno dove on Mundo into the annoucer's table they did not have any commentary? I only ask becuase I watch the UniMas version and they still had the commentary which was odd since you could see Vampiro in the background.

Lucha Underground Report 3/4/15

Got off work just in time to do this for the replay. Beer and lucha shall heal my aching back, so let's go!

Dario's in his office telling Alberto his first match is tonight. He keeps suggesting jobbers and Alberto is pissed; he wants Texano. Dario accepts! I like the red bull on Dario's desk. 

Mil Muertes vs. Fenix: No Catrina for either. Fenix ranas Mil off the stairs immediately. He starts to take advantage but Mil forearms the living shit out of him. He DDTs him, chops him head over heels, hits a stunner off a fireman's carry, and BLASTS him with the straight right before of course Catrina comes down. Fenix goes back on control with a huge twisting hilo that's shot with a nice low camera angle. Mil just gets up and smashes his head into the apron. They go back and forth for a second but Mil hits the Flatliner for the pin. He tosses Catrina into the corner after she refuses the lick and throws the rock at him; Fenix jumps him with the rock and an enzuigiri and Mil gets the lick all the way from crotch to crown before her and Fenix make out again. I didn't have any problem with this because Ricky Banderas beating the shit out of anyone is fun to me.

Konnan gets a brief music video? Okay. Son of Havoc's Mentors mask is so awful. Dario sets up a match and Alberto lectures Puma. 

Big Ryck vs. Sexy Star: Ryck looks so dope with the stogie and eyepatch. This of course is to decide who gets to fight the Crew. Ryck's listless no-selling is hilarious. This is actually worked perfectly as he tells her to lay down, then to take the countout, and eventually just pins her with the obvious weight advantage and no real offense given from him. The Crew comes down for the jump but Ryck fights them off after him and Sexy take a beating. He throws the eyepatch... aw man. Well, you couldn't expect him to be Pirata Morgan anyway. 

Alberto El Patron vs. Texano: We start with an awesome video package for Alberto. He even gets to beat up random people in a warehouse like everyone else! This is gonna be interesting to see Alberto do a more lucha style because I'm never seen him as Dos Caras Jr. (aside from getting murdered by Cro Cop). Hey, he has good corner punches as well as a good headscissors and plancha, who knew. Texano works a more brawling rudo style and is a dick, spitting on Patron and slapping him when he's down. Striker talks about feeling the momentum but I don't feel like this is going anywhere. For a couple of guys supposedly in a mean feud they're just going back and forth... before Texano hangs him up and kicks him in the back of the head, and works him over with the rope. Brutal double stomp in the corner and Alberto finally loses that goddamn shirt. They go back and forth again for a minute before Alberto just decides to wear Texano out with the rope and goddamn, some of those hits look like they landed right on Texano's face/head. This could have been way better. Next time maybe?

King Cuerno is wearing a white cowboy hat and says after he has a cage match with Johnny Mundo next week he'll mount Mundo's head on Dario's wall. Nice look for Cuerno in the off-hours. 

This one was just kind of there. I don't think we should have really expected a classico from Alberto/Texano this time. It felt like there was more commercial time than even promo time for this episode which is really weird from a show that feels like even in off eps it crams a lot of stuff in. Ah well, the beer was good.

A decent night of lucha that I enjoyed for the most part.  Some of these vignettes between matches are very well done at every level - the interactions between Ivelisse, Son of Havoc, Angelico, and Dario were hilariously well-done and everyone's individual reactions and expressions told their story.  The match between Sexy Star and Big Ryck was booked about as well as it could possibly have been done.  I liked how strong they made Mil Muertes look in the opening match but that stood in stark contrast to the way he was essentially cadavered NOT by the "rock shot" but by the subsequent enzugiri.  I mean, the overall booking of the angle was enticing but the inconsistency in how things are sold on this show makes me wince.  

The Alberto vs Texano match left me pretty cold, I really wish they'd build up Texano better before jumping into this.  His lone previous match on LU last week didn't make him look particularly strong or heelish.

Still, a good light of lucha on El Rey!  Now get that merchandise on the site you jerks!

I think I was a little hard on the show in my closing lines there, it was pretty enjoyable overall, they didn't screw up the Ryck/Star match, moved some angles forward, its just that Alberto/Texano was kind of a dry fart aside from some stiffness with the rope. And there was a LOT of commercials. 

Last night's show had a quick squash match and a 10+ minute main event, and they try to group the commercials more towards the middle when they do that. Next week definitely has both of those and there's a lot of lengthy main events to come, so it might just be that way for a while.

Has anyone slid down the railing from the top of the stairs onto another wrestler standing on the floor below? It would require some of the fans to move away but it seems like something Mundo would try.

No one has done it yet. Drago or Mundo would make the most sense Mundo would probably grab a piece of metal and grind the railing until doing the dive.

I think Johnny Mundo is the worst actor in the history of professional wrestling and he keeps doing shit to remind me of it whenever I forget to post in this thread which is always

Pentagon Jr. is my favorite wrestler in the world right now.

So many people tweeted Cuerno love for his sweet fucking cowboy hat

The Lucha Underground shop is back up. Well, I mean it never really went down but it was out of stuff for a couple of months, they appear to have restocked.  Still the same old gear, a few "Lucha Underground"-branded items and one Prince Puma shirt when everyone knows America is howling for Pentagon Jr "CERO MIEDO" merchandise.  

Yes, indeedy!

Anyone else excited to see the rematch between Ivelisse and Angelico with Son of Havoc refereeing tonight?

Officially going to the tapings on the 21st/22nd that allegedly may feature Rey Mysterio's debut.

It's going to be quite some time before that airs - the last tapings I went to doesn't show up on TV until April 1st, and that was way at the beginning of last month.

• Like 2

Lucha Underground Report 3/11/15

Pentagon Jr. vs. Argenis: They talk up the injuries Pentagon's racked up so far with details on the supposed surgeries, nice touch. Crowd is behind him bigtime. Argenis hits a taint kick out of a roll-through and a nice spinning DDT and Asai moonsault. There's also a big avalanche rana but Pentagon takes over with a dropkick to a flipping Argenis and it's time for the sadism. Jesus FUCK Pentagon military presses Argenis and throws him into the corner almost directly on his head. Josh Barnett is in the crowd? After a huge hilo we got the package piledriver and the arm break. I'm glad they're keeping Pentagon strong, he shouldn't be losing to anybody like he was initially. Let him keep breaking arms until he hits a real obstacle of an opponent and then let him break that guy's arm too. For the master! 

Catrina tells Fenix he must bury Mil Muertes, then we get a new Konnan video. They show him making a new cane out of what appears to be rebar. Well, that won't break when he hits Cage with it. Super cool piece that just smokes just about any WWE video package in about two minutes flat. (Luis Valdez will be your next Director's Chair interview for anyone interested, btw. I still want Abel Ferrara above anyone else.) King Cuerno isn't wearing his cowboy hat but he drives to the ring in a boss lowrider pickup truck. 

Ivelisse vs. Angelico: Ivelisse is Puerto Rican, didn't know that. The special guest ref is Son of Havoc which I'm sure will end up in shenanigans. Angelico immediately sleazes up with the hand kiss out of lockup and a lot of gropey go-behinds. Ivelisse has a killer flying headscissors and hits a solid dive too. Aw man she lands on her head in Psicosis fashion, that looked worse than Argenis earlier. They do a bunch of face-sitting spots in pinfalls and Havoc is conflicted. At least she chops the shit out of Angelico after. Some asshole in the crowd tries to get a "hit that bitch" chant started, ugh. Havoc starts to get in the way and gets a slap and of course Ivelisse gets headkicked on accident for the loss. This works because Ivelisse is a talented worker with a lot of snap on her ranas and stiffness to her strikes to balance out the sexual headgames crap of Angelico. I know where all of this is going because of an unintentional spoiler (Wikipedia idiots) and it's interesting to see how it gets there. 

Catrina meets up with Mil Muertes in the head backstage and announces a coffin match between him and Fenix. Well, that was unexpected. The coffin looks cool. I hope somebody sets it on fire after the loser is inside. 

Johnny Mundo vs. King Cuerno (Cage Match): I was hoping this wouldn't have escape rules but it does; with any luck that won't be their main goal. It would be nice to see some blood too and we did get Konnan blading before so hey, cross your fingers. The ring looks absolutely enormous with the cage emphasizing its borders. Both guys just start kicking the shit of each other and when Johnny even does the first highspot by jumping to the top rope, he comes back off with a great knee directly to Cuerno's grill. Man Mundo gets basically hot-shotted on the top of the cage and Cuerno recklessly lays into the back of his knee before cheese-gratering his face into the cage. They fight on the ropes and Cuerno dragon screws him off them. Mundo goes back on offense though... so much for the knee. I'm just giving up on wanting him to sell the thing no matter how much Vamp and Striker play it up. First escape attempt ends with him getting bounced off the cage into a Liger bomb. Second has Johnny drag Cuerno up by the mask as he hangs, legs kicking, before they just paste each other in the corner before faceplanting. Yeah, this rules, both guys are just trading off blasting each other before Mundo goes to the corner with the deer head in it and they just go at it again in THAT corner. Mundo throws him off and he backflips to the mat. Instead of escaping we get a killer low shot of Mundo kneeling on top of the cage before he hits his finish off the very top and Cuerno is splattered. 

Whew, sorry, lots of play-by-play there. That was one hell of a match even without blood because it was a total brawl which is exactly what a cage match should be, no extended WWE escape bullshit, just a fight. They worked in some really cool highspots and the last one was perfectly big enough to end it all. I'm glad nobody did something egregiously stupid like a missed moonsault off the cage a la Kurt Angle and for the most part just kicked, punched, chopped, and tossed or grinded each other into the fence. Good work and a good episode! I guess next week we get another big gimmick match with the coffin dealie. I hope Fenix loses though, I'm way more a fan of the rudos in this fed and Mil needs a win.

That was a great, fun show last night.  Opening with Pentagon Jr set just the right tone for the evening, it's amazing how over he is with the crowd despite being booked as a heel.  The chants of "Cero Miedo" were so loud the announcers couldn't help but mention them.  Pentagon Jr has to be considered one of the big breakout stars of Lucha Underground and I imagine we'll see big things from him and his booking this year.

I think the ending of Ivelisse vs Angelico was preordained and never in doubt, but the match itself was pretty enjoyable to watch.  I really like Angelico's body language and expressions and the smarmy spots they worked into the match were all good fun.

The coffin they're using for the Mil Muertes vs Fenix match looked incredibly cool.  I generally love dia del muertos imagery and this really added something to what would otherwise be a fairly generic gimmick in 2015.  Of course Mil has to kill Fenix for his impertinence and if Catrina wants to keep making bad decisions I bet there's room in there for her too.

The main with Johnny Mundo and King Cuerno was a blast to watch and I don't think Cuerno lost anything in the finish because the match was so well put-together.  I was disappointed the announcers didn't mention that the cage removed one of Cuerno's biggest weapons, his "arrow from hell" tope suicida.  I noticed El Rey had been running some very cool Lucha Underground commercials with slow-motion footage of Cuerno's arrow from hell shot from the floor so this oversight surprised me.  

Good show, I was happy and wanted more at the end, and that's all you can hope for as a promotion.

They screwed up not having Cuerno lawn dart Mundo into the side of the cage with the Arrow tope. Maybe it was just too dangerous to pull off at full speed. I kept waiting for that all match and got nothing. 

EDIT: Well I guess that would be Cuerno lawn darting himself into the cage, really. Whatever. 

I don't understand why Mistico would take up such a goofy name when he has license to use his own or even Sin Cara, which I thought was WWE property but he actually owns the rights to. Myztezyz reminds me of Mr. Mxyzptlk from DC Comics (had to look that up).

• Like 1