1. 1. VADER/BIGELOW vs. HANSEN/BRODY

• BIG VAN VADER/BAM BAM BIGELOW
    • STAN HANSEN/BRUISER BRODY

Hansen was great

Bigelow was very good

Vader was great

Brody sucked

Bigelow and Vader win.

EDIT: Apparently Hansen was so good that his sheer magnetic power caused me to misvote. At least Phil won't be annoyed with me for this one now.

I really don't get the Brody sucks.  Sure, he sorta did, but it's like arguing that Hogan or the Warrior sucked, or that Road Warrior Hawk didn't know how to apply the figure four properly.  Brody wasn't a great in-ring guy, but he had the it factor - the right look and presence.  Brody earned his spot the same way Warrior did - by playing his role and being someone people paid to see.

For the record, I would pay to see Brody before Bigelow.  He'd be well back of Hansen and Vader, though.

I voted Hansen-Brody.  Of the four, I think Bigelow is the likeliest to eat a pinfall.  Also.... Stan Hansen is right there. 

Hogan and Warrior were leaps and bounds better than Brody in every conceivable way. That's not even on the table in this argument. Brody had better cardio. That's about it.. Hogan was very good at doing what he should do. You might not like what he did, but he was very often doing the right thing in the right way in order to make the match a success to the crowd it was in front of. He understood a lot of the basic tenets of wrestling and worked to having the right match for the moment. Some of what he did was actually quite good on even a broader level, be it his selling during a heat segment or how he played to the crowd or his overall timing. Warrior on the other hand, brought a ton to the table, and was really quite good both in specific roles (hot tag/corner hype man, for instance), or in just following direction. There are dozens of examples where he could follow direction and be part of a match someone else put together. Most of those times, he didn't harm the match he was in and he generally did what he was supposed to and his matches are better for that. He wasn't some sort of wrestling genius but no one claims he is. He was a cog in a machine and while he wasn't the prettiest or most efficient cog, he was able to hold up his expected place, for the most part, and I think going back and watching his matches (even something like Andre vs Warrior, which got WON worst match of the year and is actually a halfway decent match from every standard but "workrate") shows that.

Brody is a guy who actively harmed matches he was in by not taking offense, by having a lot of his own stuff look like absolute shit (which is mainly an issue because of the character he was trying to play). He'd oscillate from lazy as fuck to actively obstructive to blatantly distracting to get himself over. Again, the problem is that his work actively goes against the myth of the character and the it factor. He has the it factor right until the bell rings. He has the presence, right until he's expected to do anything. That's the entire point with the Brody dislike. He didn't play his role. He MAYBE sometimes played at a guy playing his role. The footage doesn't hold up to the myth. 

Bigelow on the other hand was a an agile, hard working big guy for a lot of his career. He could work a variety of opponents and in a variety of settings and frankly, the biggest damning mark against the guy is that he had the best match of his career in his rookie year vs Jerry Lawler. 

Basically, the argument has nothing to do with Hawk not being able to do the figure four right except for in the broadest idea of "If you don't know how to do something or can't or won't pull it off, don't try to do it." 

The thing about Brody was he had an AURA of invincibility and general unfuckwithableness. That's a pretty important intangible. It's easy for some of us to sit at our keyboards and put him down since we weren't the ones running for our lives in legit fear as he thundered through the crowds in Japan waving his chain around.

Warrior had an aura too, though. Yet his matches hold up as what they're supposed to be in a way that Brody's don't. Maybe what Brody's matches were supposed to be are of some sort of higher level, but that just makes the difference all the more frustrating. Mark Henry has an aura. His matches hold up. Abdullah had an aura. His matches hold up better. The problem with Brody is that past maybe Dory Funk and I don't know Tiger Jeet Singh? No one's aura and reputation leads to more disappointing matches to actually watch than Brody.