DVDVR Message Board

[LLDSS] STAGE TWO (ROUND of 16) - BLONDES vs. STEAMBOAT/YOUNGBLOOD

RIPPA

LLDSS STAGE TWO - ROUND of 16  

35 members have voted

1. 1. BLONDES vs. STEAMBOAT/YOUNGBLOOD

• HOLLYWOOD BLONDES (Austin/Pillman)
    • RICKY STEAMBOAT/JAY YOUNGBLOOD

Sympathy?  Steamboat and Youngblood should win this.  The fact that they are currently behind disturbs me.

See, I am OK with whatever team wins this.  Youngblood is the worst of the 4 guys in this so that has to count against Steamboat/Younblood.  And while the Blondes v. 3.0 were not as great as the sum of their parts...god Youngblood was a shitty-shitty wrestler.

But, to be fair, Blondes v. 3.0 never had a match as good as Final Conflict.  So...whatever works for people, really.

I just tied this at 14-14 with a vote for Steamboat-Youngblood. This shouldn't be as close as it is. I like Austin at various points in his career and love pretty much all Pillman. But the Blondes are an overrated team cruising on the legacy of who each guy was individually. The theory was better than what they really did, as Austin was still a clumsy hit-or-miss worker in '93. They had chemistry as characters and did a lot of double-team hijinks stuff, but none of their matches really hold together.

I don't buy Youngblood as a shitty worker at all: he was charismatic and had a lot of fun antics that popped crowds and made Steamboat look all the better. I'd rather watch him fire up, work headlocks and war dances, and serve as the base for Steamboat's flying than watch a young Austin stumble around doing an awkward Ric Flair impersonation that never suited him.

This is also helped by Steamboat/Youngblood being the rampaging, awesome babyfaces in one of the best tag matches ever. Even if you're just voting based on "Whichever Team Had the Best Career Worker(s)", Steamboat on his own was still way, way better than either Blonde.

Also, I hate the Blondes for knocking off Los Brazos in the tournament's biggest miscarriage of justice to date. Don't let it happen again, plebs.