DVDVR Message Board

Reed

How much of a sociopath is Bedelia to just sit there watching those two poor schmucks gourd themselves on Hannibal's last victim, with such bemused fascination?  The woman is a freaking nutcase.  

Yeah, if anything we've seen so far this season is real, Bedelia and Will have both gone round the bend.  They both seem to be.... seduced by Hannibal, slowly turning darker and darker themselves.

... which is a big reason I think this season is all someone's fever dream - probably Hannibal's.  This seems to be a version of wish fulfillment for Hannibal.  Will coming back into Hannibal's life and starting to empathize with Hannibal even more; Bedelia becoming Hannibal's fake wife and slowly coming around to his world view.  Hannibal seems to be looking for a connection, wanting to have a family, but only on his terms.

Neither portrayal is entirely out of character, but neither quite fits either.  I'm going with the "Hannibal's retreated to his mind palace" theory.

Honestly, the show doesn't draw me in.  I think I admire it for being well-done and different more than I love it.  That's been my reaction to most of Fuller's shows.  I admire the craftmanship and stylistic qualities more than I really enjoy them.  So far, this season is only working for me in a limited sense, so I hope they get back to more conventional story-telling soon.

How much of a sociopath is Bedelia to just sit there watching those two poor schmucks gourd themselves on Hannibal's last victim, with such bemused fascination?  The woman is a freaking nutcase.  

Yeah, if anything we've seen so far this season is real, Bedelia and Will have both gone round the bend.  They both seem to be.... seduced by Hannibal, slowly turning darker and darker themselves.

... which is a big reason I think this season is all someone's fever dream - probably Hannibal's.  This seems to be a version of wish fulfillment for Hannibal.  Will coming back into Hannibal's life and starting to empathize with Hannibal even more; Bedelia becoming Hannibal's fake wife and slowly coming around to his world view.  Hannibal seems to be looking for a connection, wanting to have a family, but only on his terms.

Neither portrayal is entirely out of character, but neither quite fits either.  I'm going with the "Hannibal's retreated to his mind palace" theory.

Honestly, the show doesn't draw me in.  I think I admire it for being well-done and different more than I love it.  That's been my reaction to most of Fuller's shows.  I admire the craftmanship and stylistic qualities more than I really enjoy them.  So far, this season is only working for me in a limited sense, so I hope they get back to more conventional story-telling soon.

I feel the same way.  Honestly, I don't really love the show.  But I admire and like it for its creativity and also for looking different than anything else on TV.  I respect that the way they shoot this show.  No other network TV show really has this very surreal, abstract, almost David Lynchian style.

Best exchange?

"Technically, you killed him."

"You killed two people from the Caproni."

"I can only claim one.  Technically."

To be fair, she did put the museum guy out of his misery, which hints there's still some humanity there. You could argue she's probably saved lives since she's been calming Hannibal down a bit in the past few months (he's killed people but probably not as many if she wasn't around to remind him they have an act to keep up.) 

Yeah, Bedelia's just an odd character. Fuller says she's with Hannibal mainly out of some "professional interest" and to study him but, come on, I do not buy that an obviously intelligent woman would have ever put herself in a position where she is 99% likely to end up 1) in jail 2) dinner. 

She'd have run and kept on running.

I imagine this series will be cancelled midway through this season.

It's on the summer schedule and NBC have nothing else so I imagine we'll get to see it.

Whether or not there will be a season 4...eh. It's weird: Fuller made a point of saying they had at least two options last season: a cable channel and some internet streaming place (believed to be Hulu).

But it's not that simple: He's said if they get dropped by NBC, it tarnishes their reputations internationally, it gets tagged with the 'reject' label and affects the budgeting they can get and he needs a big budget to work with. Basically: I think we'll get season 4 but it might not be to the same quality. 

I do think NBC like the critical praise and the show doesn't cost them much. I don't know if it's enough to put up with the crap ratings though.

It's not like there's much Bedelia could do in those situations.  Hannibal isn't going to refrain from killing someone just because she asked nicely or tried to restrain him.  She's also pretty much trapped as I doubt she has the resources to run and is probably afraid of what he'd do to her if she tried.  Last season her attempts at working with Will and Jack showed she knows what Hannibal is and must be stopped and that he might be onto her motives, but she realized she couldn't get away with it.  As intimately as she knows him, she knows there are fates worse than death as far as he's concerned and is trying to do what she has to do in order to survive and pick her spot to get away.

This is probably one of my favorite shows right now, and definitely one of the best from a stylistic standpoint but I think it's getting dangerously close of just getting too avant-garde for it's own good.  Granted appealing to a "casual audience" is not the objective here nor should it really have to be, but the past few episodes have been getting so incoherent it's hard to decipher the actual plot.  I'm really hoping they don't pull some "it was all a dream" angle at the end of the season.

It's not like there's much Bedelia could do in those situations.  Hannibal isn't going to refrain from killing someone just because she asked nicely or tried to restrain him.  She's also pretty much trapped as I doubt she has the resources to run and is probably afraid of what he'd do to her if she tried.  Last season her attempts at working with Will and Jack showed she knows what Hannibal is and must be stopped and that he might be onto her motives, but she realized she couldn't get away with it.  As intimately as she knows him, she knows there are fates worse than death as far as he's concerned and is trying to do what she has to do in order to survive and pick her spot to get away.

She didn't have to go with him in the first place though. That's my issue.

Look, I get she's super smart. I get she probably has a plan. But I just can't buy someone so smart would put themselves in a situation where they are almost certainly going to end up dinner. Or in jail as an accessory to several murders.

Basically: she went with Hannibal because of plot. Which is fine, but it under-mines the character a bit. 

She didn't have to go with him in the first place though. That's my issue.

Look, I get she's super smart. I get she probably has a plan. But I just can't buy someone so smart would put themselves in a situation where they are almost certainly going to end up dinner. Or in jail as an accessory to several murders.

Basically: she went with Hannibal because of plot. Which is fine, but it under-mines the character a bit. 

I get that it's not the most sensible-sounding option given the situation, but her deciding not to go is something I think Hannibal would consider rude or betrayal or a sure sign she was conspiring against him and thus put her in a situation even more likely to face some unpleasant consequences.  The rest of the season is going to need to play out before I have a final opinion on the whole thing though.  

I think we're supposed to think that Bedelia is both repulsed and fascinated by Hannibal, and the fascination is winning out.  For now, at least.  They've kinda hinted that Bedelia has had the same impulses as Hannibal for awhile now, but repressed them.  

That said, I think it's more likely this everything we've seen with Bedelia since last season's finale is some sort of Hannibal dream/hallucination.  I kinda hope not, though.  I hate that idea.

Count me in with the "This season has gotten too avante garde" crowd.

Well...with respect to JT, considering the ratings the 2nd and 3rd eps got, that was not much of a stretch. You reach a certain threshold where even favorable financial terms don't outweigh how badly a .5 tanks your ad rates.

Is there really any reason to do another season of Hannibal?  The articles on its cancellation didn't quite come out and say it, but hint that Fuller's participation going forward would be limited, at best (he's prepping another show, American Gods).  I think that probably diminishes the appeal for a potential broadcaster.

I'll be sad if Hannibal gets picked up by a premium cable network or pay-for-content streaming provider.  I don't see myself paying for Hulu or Starz, so my realistic option might be the "Shiver me timbers" route.

At one point, Joss Whedon had THREE network shows in production at the same time, so I'm not worried about Fuller splitting time between two short-run cable/online series that'll only be 8-10 eps a piece. And he has a co-showrunner on GODS already lined up.