DVDVR Message Board

Divorce

Craig H

And I've told my ex many times: "You don't have to like me, because I'm pretty sure I don't like you, but we have a daughter together and we have to deal with each other for the rest of our lives.  Besides our kid seeing the negativity between us, wouldn't it just be easier to be civil and working together on things concerning our daughter?".

Of course, it always has to be the hard way though...

• Like 2

I hear ya, MADCAP.

I have had an unbelievable amount of "I am trying to be the shepherd but it is fucking hard" moments with my ex-wife.  Now my daughter has a half-brother and I have to go through the whole "The Kid Is Not My Son" bullshit and explain to my daughter why I am not going out of my way to bond with this little homey. 

It's not the boy's fault that he is where he is or that his real dad doesn't come around that often, but I am going to have issues galore getting my own daughter through college and trying to start a new life with my girlfriend whom I hope to make a fiancee one day..

If the ex wants monetary and parental support for the boy, she's going to have to go and hit up the man she slept with.  I ain't the one.

• Like 1

My ex-wife started dating before I did.  Fine by me because it helped my daughter see that her mom and I were moving on with our lives.

This thread reminds me of my divorce issues from many moons ago.  Thank God there were no kids involved, makes things even more difficult in regards to the timeline in VA.

Also made me think about how I found out my ex was dating in August just mere weeks after the ink had dried at the beginning of July.  Glad those days are in the past

I think the roughest lesson for married people with kids to learn is that there is no such thing as closure when there are children involved.  You will still have to come to respectful terms with your ex when it comes to raising the kids, even if you can't stand the sight of your former spouse..

In the end I guess the best bet is taking socialization into account. It might seem like a good idea to keep a relationship together for the sake of the child. Parental influences are so strong though there is a serious risk of this effecting the way they approach relationships as adults. Being around healthy relationships, even if in unconventional forms, has to be more beneficial. 

As someone who has never married or divorced anyone I would suggest the following:

Disregard females

Acquire currency

THIS.

Also,

Disregard females

Acquire aesthetics (if you're not aesthetic already, I've never met ya)

Best of luck mate. I've only had one super serious relationship in my life. Never married or divorced and I have no kids so I have no idea what you're going through, but I hope it all works out.

• Like 1