DVDVR Message Board

2024 Puroresu General Discussion

lostinube

Ren Ayabe seems likely.

Yuji Hino is a free agent. He could really spice things up.

I’m still hopeful that Naoya Nomura can return by then.

Wonder if they’ll book any gaijin. I could see them bringing back what’s his face, the American they’d been booking and had in the tag league.

• Like 1

AJPW attendances were up this month.

Nakajima is clearly trying to inject more of old NJPW in current AJPW, right down to submission finishes working in the main event with the Triple Crown.  Style clashes were the norm in Mutoh's AJPW, I see these recemt developments as returning to that.

Fuchi is one of the last links to old Baba era AJPW, and he doesn't regularly wrestle much anymore. I expect him to retire in this decade.  Still, they do have retired Dory Funk Jr as PWF chairman and few old staff members working in the back.

• Like 2

NOAH

https://www.noah.co.jp/news/5366/

https://www.z-1.co.jp/topics/detail_1972.html

Team NOAH members Go and Kotoge will work 1 date for REALZERO1 produce shows, Masato Tananka's booking agency and unit.

Masato Tanaka and Takuya Sugawara vs. Go Shiozaki and Atsushi Kotoge 

Zero1 was shut down and restarted several times. If you know were to find the info and read it on their official site, the lastest iteration was established in 2020.

REALZERO1 the unit started in 2023. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kang said:

Today is the last day Okada is contracted with NJPW. Next month is his last month with NJPW, he has 3 matches in Feb.  I wonder if they book him to lose all or just one of his last matches? 

Loses to Tanahashi, wins one of the two matches we don't know about and loses the other.

Tomorrow Shuji and Blackmensor'e should both be removed from the AJPW roster page. So the 14 remaing would be left on the AJPW contracted player list. They never fix the freelance/other part below on the AJPW roster page.

The NOAH roster page sometimes has few errors or slow at updating.

Nakajima will defend his Triple Crown title on Inoki's birthday next month against Rei Saito.

Also today is 25 years since Giant Baba's death. 

The AJPW Pres admitted in his own way Shuji was the booker (matchmaker) from the latest AJPW Encount article.

I'm not sure who the new booker of AJPW is now,  but the new booker has gone back to the booking style of making angles matter, outwardly. Could be Kento, he did replace Shuji as Players Chairman. But I'm just guessing.

From the same Encount article, ActWres time is staying. Actwress girls won't wrestle with the men.

Edited by Kang

AJPW added another date to the 2024 CC tour. So 11 shows.

NOAH is going back to doing more shows a month, like the old days. I guess they want to pad up their attendance numbers and make more money from whoever they can. Could end up wearing out talent faster.

https://encount.press/archives/578027/

Interview with the AJPW pres. Gonna be more reorganization internally.

The coup thing died out. The rest of the players left are staying.

The Nakajima benefactor thing hasn't. 

AJPW has been profitable since last year. But most of the past 7 years it wasn't, most months in the red. Covid didnt help.

I expect them to really do the final cost cuttings. Seniors leaving and their roles finished saves up money. I'm not sure what else they can do. I know AJPW guys get paid more than DragonGate guys, doubt they would take paycuts.

It's the 2014 established iteration of AJPW. Really Baba's old company was shut down years ago, due to debit. The box office rights were transferred twice.

Hijo de Dr. Wagner Jr. defeated Kenoh, he is now the 44th GHC HW champion. He is the second foreigner to hold the title, Eddie Edwards was the first.

GHC HW

Hijo de Dr. Wagner Jr. (C) Vs Jake Lee is next.

NOAH is starting up their own tag league, the Victory Challenge Tag League

https://www.noah.co.jp/news/5393/

Participants:

Masa Kitamiya Daiki Inaba

Kaito Kiyomiya Ryohei Oiwa

Go Shiozaki Atsushi Kotoge

Takashi Sugiura Yuruka Sasaki

Manabu Soya Shuji Kondo

Saxon Huxley Timothy Thatcher

Dragon Bane Alpha Wolf

They had the old defunct Global Tag League, which the last edition was held in 2020. Sorta another revertion to old ways of matchmaking.  This new tag league starts over from scratch though.

Edited by Kang
  • Like 1

The NTV (AJP/NOAH show) 70 YEARS OF PRO-WRESTLING BROADCAST THE NTV PRO-WRESTLING

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GF5WdQfaYAAOqw0?format=jpg

The retro looking AJP NOAH match card pamphlet from NTV

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GF56rmcbYAABdfq?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GF56rmNacAAMRQY?format=jpg&name=large

The ring they used was a combination of current NOAH (white mat, black ropes) and AJP (fight pad turnbuckles and poles).  The canvas had AJPW and NOAH logos with the 70th years logo.

AJPW and NOAH were tied. Kaito and so NOAH won in the main event. 

Mutoh suggested the 71st anniversary should be at the Tokyo Dome next year. Keep in mind not everything said goes somewhere.

Edited by Kang
  • Like 1

AJP

They sorta fixed up the AJPW roster page part where the main non contacted men are.

Nakajima will wrestle in 3 singles matches:

Feb 23  Nakajima vs. Hokuto Omori
Feb 24: Nakajima vs. Ryo Inoue
Feb 25: Nakajima vs. Atsuki Aoyagi

Few more men who fought in AJPW before are wrestling on the Excite Series March 10th date... so Ryoji Sai, Yutaka Yoshie, and MAZADA.

FUMA who works for Pro Wrestling Basara also will work on that date.

1 hour ago, Kang said:

AJP

They sorta fixed up the AJPW roster page part where the main non contacted men are.

Nakajima will wrestle in 3 singles matches:

Feb 23  Nakajima vs. Hokuto Omori
Feb 24: Nakajima vs. Ryo Inoue
Feb 25: Nakajima vs. Atsuki Aoyagi

Few more men who fought in AJPW before are wrestling on the Excite Series March 10th date... so Ryoji Sai, Yutaka Yoshie, and MAZADA.

FUMA who works for Pro Wrestling Basara also will work on that date.

Those freelancers range from terrible to mediocre.

The fighting axis of Puroresu..

Nakajima can't do his new gimmick anymore, so his gimmick is himself for now. 

I think the new IGF isn't doing anything really anymore. 

Simon Inoki isn't with the new IGF.  

BloodSport is coming to Japan. You can read about what Josh and M.Suzuki said, if you can find it online.

Edited by Kang