DVDVR Message Board

UFC 296: Edwards vs. Covington (12/16/2023) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

I didn't think it was a terrible fight. However, it was a terrible effort from Colby cause he chose to simply not doing anything for literally the first half of the fight. Then, he decided let me just flail for takedowns and try to gain control. Problem is much of that didn't work. He tried to save face by doing something in the final round, but yeah, it's pretty baffling that you fight like you have nine rounds to do something. To that point, even his most ardent fans were booing the crap out of him and then the few fans who were left booed him loudly in the post fight interview. He tried to pander as usual and still got booed, which was hilarious.

Colby may have imploded his own fanbase, which is probably the desired outcome not even a walk off KO loss would have produced.

I would like to think that is the end of Colby but we do have an election in about 10 months that Dana's friends will want to use for publicity 

Actually Dana should just have Sean Strickland take over the gimmick.  He is a better fighter and unlike Colby believes this BS.  Especially the dumb shit he did last night.  At least Sean was good enough to tell kids to move before he reenacted the Malice in the Palace 

Edited by hammerva

Speaking of that, apparently there is an official UFC seating chart. One that Dana actually does.

1. Dana actually makes a funny point in that who the hell would you sit Sean Strickland next to?

2. Maybe when Dana saw DDP on the seating chart he thought it was Page Falkinburg? I dunno.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hammerva said:

I would like to think that is the end of Colby but we do have an election in about 10 months that Dana's friends will want to use for publicity 

Actually Dana should just have Sean Strickland take over the gimmick.  He is a better fighter and unlike Colby believes this BS.  Especially the dumb shit he did last night.  At least Sean was good enough to tell kids to move before he reenacted the Malice in the Palace 

If Colby had won, the UFC 100% would have made him sit until after next November for pure propaganda/marketing purposes.

10 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

If Colby had won, the UFC 100% would have made him sit until after next November for pure propaganda/marketing purposes.

Yeah, I don't think that's happening. At all. He's Colby Covington, not Max Schmeling.

Leon consistently kills all my hype for his next fight every time he talks. Really reminds me of a Tyron Woodley when I wish he could be more of an Israel Adesanya. Talking about how Belal doesn’t deserve it, despite being ranked only behind Kamaru Usman. So Colby didn’t deserve it, Belal doesn’t deserve it, can you at least call out Shavkat and say you want to be the 1 in 18-1? He also said look what I had to go through to get my shot even though he was complaining about how unfair his road was to the title shot and that he deserved it sooner by his 7th or 8th win in a row. I love seeing it when guys like Jones or Izzy would be like “oh this guy looks great, let him get a title eliminator so I can derail the hype train”. I guess we just won’t be getting that with Leon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A.M.B. said:

Leon consistently kills all my hype for his next fight every time he talks. Really reminds me of a Tyron Woodley when I wish he could be more of an Israel Adesanya. Talking about how Belal doesn’t deserve it, despite being ranked only behind Kamaru Usman. So Colby didn’t deserve it, Belal doesn’t deserve it, can you at least call out Shavkat and say you want to be the 1 in 18-1? He also said look what I had to go through to get my shot even though he was complaining about how unfair his road was to the title shot and that he deserved it sooner by his 7th or 8th win in a row. I love seeing it when guys like Jones or Izzy would be like “oh this guy looks great, let him get a title eliminator so I can derail the hype train”. I guess we just won’t be getting that with Leon.

I mean Belal ain't exactly the sexiest matchup especially considering how Leon fights. So yeah, I can see why no one would be too zealous to fight him.

At 170, there are bunch of a great fighters but not a whole lot of dynamic personalities which is why Colby could NOT fight and still get a title shot.