DVDVR Message Board

UFC 295: Procházka vs. Pereira (11/11/2023) - New York, NY (Madison Square Garden)

Elsalvajeloco

F9YU7iNXwAAPaP7.jpg?1698340974

UFC 295: Procházka vs. Pereira 
November 11, 2023
New York, NY (Madison Square Garden) 

UFC Light Heavyweight Championship: Jiří Procházka (204.2) vs. Alex Pereira (vacant) (204) - Pereira, TKO (elbow), R2 (4:08)
Interim UFC Heavyweight Championship: Sergei Pavlovich (259.8) vs. Tom Aspinall (261.6) - Aspinall, KO (punches), R1 (1:09)
Jéssica Andrade (116) vs. Mackenzie Dern (115.6) - Andrade, TKO (punches), R2 (3:15)
Matt Frevola (155.6) vs. Benoit Saint-Denis (156) - Saint-Denis, KO (head kick), R1 (1:31)
Pat Sabatini (145.8) vs. Diego Lopes (145.4) - Lopes, KO (punches), R1 (1:30)

ESPNews / ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Steve Erceg (125.6) vs. Alessandro Costa (125.4) - Erceg, DEC (unanimous)
Tabatha Ricci (115.4) vs. Lupita Godinez (115) - Godinez, DEC (split)
Mateusz Rębecki (155.8) vs. Roosevelt Roberts (158)** - Rębecki, SUB (armbar), R1 (3:08)
Nazim Sadykhov (155.6) vs. Viacheslav Borshchev (154.8) - DRAW (majority)    

ESPN+ / UFC Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Jared Gordon (155.6) vs. Mark Madsen (154.6) - Gordon, TKO (elbow and punches), R1 (4:42)
Kyung Ho Kang (138) vs. John Castañeda (137.6) - Castañeda, DEC (unanimous)
Joshua Van (125.8) vs. Kevin Borjas (125.8) - Van, DEC (unanimous)
Dennis Buzukja (145.6) vs. Jamall Emmers (147)* - Emmers, TKO (punches), R1 (0:49)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight 
**Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight 

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Diego Lopes
Performance of the Night: Benoit Saint-Denis
Performance of the Night: Jéssica Andrade
Performance of the Night: Tom Aspinall
Performance of the Night: Alex Pereira
Fight of the Night: Nazim Sadykhov vs. Viacheslav Borshchev

Attendance: 19,039
Gate: $12.4 million

Okay, this would explain why she's taking random tough fights all the time. 

So between Andrade, Dern, JP Buys and Cheyanne Vlimas (fka Cheyanne Buys), and the crazy shit with Tim Elliott and Gina Mazany, people should just stop getting married. It's not going to end well.

• Sad 1

Main and Co-Main are gonna be sick.

Matt Frevola vs. Benoit is probably gonna get  fuckin wild.

Maybe not a ton of name recognition or well-built drama for an MSG card, but the undercard is full of nasty scrappers. Roosevelt vs. Rębecki. Loopy vs. Ricci. Madsen vs. Gordon. This could be a really fun night.

Jiri vs. Pereira is an absolute dream match. Every second is danger. I'm gonna be glued to the screen.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

C'mon Jiří Procházka and Tom Aspinall!

same picks here! 

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

Main and Co-Main are gonna be sick.

Jiri vs. Pereira is an absolute dream match. Every second is danger. I'm gonna be glued to the screen.

man, Jiri is probably my favorite current fighter. Him or Max Holloway. But he likes to fight in wars. And he doesn't have a problem getting hit. Pereira knocks dudes the fuck out. I don't see this ending well for Jiri, but i hope i'm wrong here. As i said when he won the title, "i don't see him as a long term champ, but he'll be a great one for as long as he holds that belt"

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, twiztor said:

same picks here! 

man, Jiri is probably my favorite current fighter. Him or Max Holloway. But he likes to fight in wars. And he doesn't have a problem getting hit. Pereira knocks dudes the fuck out. I don't see this ending well for Jiri, but i hope i'm wrong here. As i said when he won the title, "i don't see him as a long term champ, but he'll be a great one for as long as he holds that belt"

Counterpoint: You can say the same for Pereira and Jiri vice versa. Pereira ain't exactly Sweet Pea Whitaker out there 🤣. Moreover, I would have to give the edge in durability to Jiri just cause we've seen him take ungodly amounts of punishment and keep ticking. Keep in mind, Pereira even though IIRC he fought around this weight in kickboxing is still coming up to LHW. What Pereira should hope for in addition to it being war as you mentioned is that ring rust (as DC pointed out this past week) as well as coming off a major injury has somehow affected Jiri. Some guys can come can back and look just as sharp as before. Some guys visually depreciate right before our eyes. Time will tell.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

woof Makenzie Dern was... I don't know.

I think that performance was a result of a bunch of stop and starts in her career. That was the Dern that showed up in the UFC. I am not sure if her mind is completely on fighting.

Aspinall is one of those guys who would been interesting prospect several years ago pre-Ngannou. He's very well rounded and he doesn't have any specific weak point especially one people immediately know about. That said, at this point, he's just tier below guys like Gane. Maybe Stipe has slipped enough where Aspinall would probably win. He's still early in his UFC career to where a guy like Sergei was a step up from what he had been facing outside of like a Curtis Blaydes. Even with the Blaydes fight, that was fight you can grade an an incomplete cause of how it ended.

good win for Aspinall. I think Aspinall/Gane is a very interesting matchup, and i'd like to see it depending on if/when/how Jones/Stipe ends up.

felt like an early stoppage in the Jiri/Pereira fight, but i'm sure Alex would have landed a few strikes right away on the ground and the result wouldn't be much different. Jiri was sprawled out on his back and full mounted. he definitely would have taken a few before he'd have an opportunity to buck and potentially get back up.