DVDVR Message Board

UFC 295: Procházka vs. Pereira (11/11/2023) - New York, NY (Madison Square Garden)

Elsalvajeloco

It looked like Jiri was bulldozed on that take down more than he was out. I would've liked something a little more concrete, but I can imagine that Marc Godard was terrified watching these two kaiju popping each other over a round and half.

Alex Pereira is incredible though. People talking about Anthony Smith maybe getting a title shot offa some twitter beef - but goddamn these leg kicks might end that man's career.

Jiri did stumble on a little bit after the stoppage. Unfortunately, it's not the ref's job to allow you to recover in between strikes.

That right touched Jiri but that left hook with Jiri running into it...that's the difference between someone who is naturally gifted at striking and someone like Jiri who learned how to integrate it into what he does.

I would also add that between Dern doing it earlier and then Jiri, don't run in a straight line at the person just cause you stunned them. They're still dangerous. You should be cognizant of that. 

THe leg kicks are special, but Pereira's left hook is fucking tight, nuclear and can be thrown in a phone booth. He killed Strickland with it. He killed Izzy with it. And he did it to Jiri. Everyone knows it's there and it is unavoidable.

• Like 1

This is also a testament to the beard (figurative and literal I guess) of Jiri cause it took two clean punches AND a series of elbows to get the job done. Literally for 90% of the anyone at 185 and 205, getting hit in the center of the face by Alex Pereira is an automatic shut off button. 

48 minutes ago, waffle said:

I see why the ref stopped it, but I'm also of the mind it was barely early. I'd love to see these two fight again. 

In retrospect, it's crazy that Jiri even took this fight coming off a major injury and the resulting layoff. If I had to take an educated guess, we'll likely see this one again if Pereira can dispatch Hill. Even if Hill beats Pereira, there is a chance that Jiri should he win 1 or 2 fights in the interim can beat Hill and then defend against Pereira. Out of that trio, I don't see one guy just head and shoulders above anyone. Pereira has the edge in technique but he's flawed like the other two guys. Keep in mind, we could still see guys like Johnny Walker or Rakic or Jan can come back into the mix.  None of those guys are "man, goddamn he can dominate the division". 

16 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

In retrospect, it's crazy that Jiri even took this fight coming off a major injury and the resulting layoff. If I had to take an educated guess, we'll likely see this one again if Pereira can dispatch Hill. Even if Hill beats Pereira, there is a chance that Jiri should he win 1 or 2 fights in the interim can beat Hill and then defend against Pereira. Out of that trio, I don't see one guy just head and shoulders above anyone. Pereira has the edge in technique but he's flawed like the other two guys. Keep in mind, we could still see guys like Johnny Walker or Rakic or Jan can come back into the mix.  None of those guys are "man, goddamn he can dominate the division". 

i would like to see Jiri face off with Jan, Johnny Walker, and Jamahal Hill. that's my order of interest as well. then probably Krylov. i really don't know Rakic, so i don't know how he ranks on this list.

1 minute ago, twiztor said:

i would like to see Jiri face off with Jan, Johnny Walker, and Jamahal Hill. that's my order of interest as well. then probably Krylov. i really don't know Rakic, so i don't know how he ranks on this list.

I blanked and totally forgot Ankalaev. He would be up there had he not had that weird draw and this No Contest with Johnny Walker. There is quite a log jam of contenders on that next tier including Anthony Smith.

Both Rakic and Ankalaev seemed to be the future of the division but kinda cool off significantly. Rakic is fighting Jan in a rematch to start off 2024. Ankalaev is fighting Johnny Walker again. I can see Krylov fighting Anthony Smith as both are coming off wins against Ryan Spann. 

It's basically an unofficial tournament.