DVDVR Message Board

Blues Music Thread

Cole Miner

Okay that makes sense. It sounds like a key instrument through most of the song but he clearly runs a finger across strings at the end. There aren't a lot of obvious plucking noises in the song which you would normally pick up on a harp. The strings are so high pitched it is doubtful they have much give. it sounds like 2 playing so the photo on the wiki page makes sense. My guess was keys on one hand and playing strings on the other. That or Steve Vai traveled back in time with his eventide h3000b he used recording Ballerina on Passion and Warfare.

Dealing with stuff today like hospice visits and brutal headaches. Good time to listen to my favorite music. Ragtime blues. I've had a lifelong dedication to playing ragtime blues. Good way to end up broke, but happy. Couldn't tell you how many times I've run through the C-E7-A-A7-G7-D7-C7 progression or a variation based on it.  Can always depend on West Coast Blues to turn around the mood on bad days.

Blind Boy Fuller

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Wish Patton had been alive for the resurgence and some video. Some of Burnside's inspiration.

Here is a cool Patton song cover done on a lesson. Guy does a great job with the details like the snapping strings.

• 2 weeks later...

This Lonnie Johnson tune is really great. This is what it sounds like when someone has over 30 years experience and have mastered their craft.

Might as well group this with another Johnson track. This is from 1929 and it might be the best sound quality I have ever heard for a track from the 20s. Recorded with Eddie Lang who was billed as Blind Willie Dunn due to racial issues back in this time.

• 5 weeks later...

I was never a fan of this guys singing but his songs have grown on me. The playing is a great starting point for someone wanting to get the fundamentals down.

Gary Moore Montreux 1995 his best concert. He was on fire all night. If anyone asks why 1959 Les Paul guitars are valued in the million dollar range just link them a song from this show.

• Like 1

Peter Green was the first blues player I liked. Appropriate that my favorite electric player ended up being Gary Moore using a 59 Les Paul Green gave him as a gift. I do like Lindsey Buckingham though. Stevie Nicks is dreadful though. Her vibrato is borderline torture. Kramer on Seinfeld reacting to Mary Hart could have been based on me hearing Nicks.

Song that grabbed me was the cover of Robert Johnson's Walking Blues

His song A Fool No More is one of the best slow blues songs around.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Being an alcoholic during prohibition sounds like the worst possible thing. This song is about drinking sterno but there are some other gems in the comment section. Like putting shoe polish on bread so the alcohol comes out the other sides. And here I thought Tom Hanks on Family Ties was bad. (Uncle Ned I think)

The sound quality on this song is poor but improves at points. It is worth adjusting to it. Plus he plays a kazoo. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Some 60s performances

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV1jp_8wr44

Skip James strong playing as usual. Singing hit or miss as usual in the 60s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB2POWSnStU

Brownie McGhee with a little background story before playing. Folkseattle user on youtube has a bunch of good stuff

Mississippi John Hurt- Spike Driver Blues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vphs2YYBSr0

Mississippi McDowell Shake Em On Down My favorite version of this song is R.L Burnside's acoustic version. This is good too and a lot of it is the foundation for Burnsides.

• 1 month later...

One of my favorite radio stations here in Chicago has a Blues Saturday Night, and there's tons of cool stuff they play. If you're ever in the mood you can stream it off their website here: http://wdcb.org/index.php

A couple of highlights from last week, the first one sounds like some badass music you'd hear in a movie while some hard motherfucker drives around thinking about all the ass he's gonna kick. 

This second one has one of the best opening lines: "Don't roll your eyes at me woman, I think it's time for you to know just who I am."  And it just gets better. "Yes I stayed out late last night, I'm gonna stay out late some more. I don't want to hear no chin music from you, every time I walk out the door." might be up there with "To be or not to be"

Blind Boy Fuller. Mr. Versatile

Poor Black Mattie R.L Burnside. From the Mississippi Hills Country Blues album. Best 80s blues album IMO.

Might as well post SRV as well since I mentioned the 80s. Scuttle Buttin Live from Japan. SRV is the only person that could get away with wearing stuff with music notes on it.

Casey Bill Weldon sold his soul to the devil

T-Bone. I am comfortable playing that way as well from couch practicing.

• 3 weeks later...