DVDVR Message Board

Action Figures, Statues, Collectibles!

Had no idea that Boss Fight Studio was snapping up indie comic licenses and had Bucky O'Hare stuff shipping with Sam and Max on the way.  I think I'd rather have a Max plush than an action figure, but I am still seriously considering Freelance Police for my mantel.

• 4 weeks later...

You know I'm a massive Batman fan and love Batman: The Animated Series. I bought this last week...

batman-the-animated-series-batman-artfx-

Batman from Batman: The Animated Series statue by ArtFX+/Kotobukiya. The figure comes with three different cowl expressions, four different mouth reactions and three different right hands, this one with the trusty Batarang. The statue stands on the iconic Bat symbol. The Bat symbol stores the different parts. I’m really pleased with this purchase.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

There is a really sweet custom figure of the Spymaster on eBay right now. Mrs. OSJ already caught me admiring it and is pissed and I haven't even bid on it yet. Fuck it, if I'm going to get the evil eye anyway, I might as well do the deed. ? 

OSJ's Rules of Life: "It is always easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission."

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OSJ said:

There is a really sweet custom figure of the Spymaster on eBay right now. Mrs. OSJ already caught me admiring it and is pissed and I haven't even bid on it yet. Fuck it, if I'm going to get the evil eye anyway, I might as well do the deed. ? 

OSJ's Rules of Life: "It is always easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission."

Go on, friend. You only live once.

I LOVE Batman: The Animated Series and I own two Batman figures from it...

61vnUsK6kUL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Batman: DC Collectibles #13. I got this in 2016 and I regret not getting the Joker at the same time.

Batman statue by ArtFX+/Kotobukiya.

Those are accurate in looks and proportions to the classic show unlike the recently released McFarlane Batman: The Animated Series so I'm not buying it:

79467---batman---the-animated-series-mcf

Edited by The Natural

6f0080d2a19982527b21e2d6680b24dc97d4.jpg

When Batman: The Animated Series became The New Batman Adventures, a lot of characters were redesigned and most of them were a downgrade. I did like Batman's redesign but preferred the original. The McFarlane Toys Batman from The New Batman Adventures is better than the awful one for Batman: The Animated Series.

What I didn't know and found out today? Batman from Justice League, they've done a really good job with:

12435701-9794733368578906.jpg

Batman: The Adventures Continue range! In spoiler tags for size:

12321155-1754712417190393.jpg

12378870-7924726443500064.jpg

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Go on, friend. You only live once.

By happy coincidence I just sold four books for $160.00 so I'm over in the clover so to speak. One can never have too many Marvel Legends scale obscure super-villains. I just wish someone would do a good figure of the Porcupine so I could complete my Maggia set from X-Men 23-24. The one guy that I've bought and commissioned over two dozen figures from (pics posted earlier in this thread), mostly Serpent Society and guys like Powerman, Melter and the Living Laser) just can't seem to get the Porcupine right.  Oh well, he stays on the wish-list with the likes of the original Gladiator, the Controller, Attuma and Warlord Krang, the Swordsman, and the Stilt-man. I fully realize that the Stilt-man is one of the most ridiculous characters in the history of comics (and boy oh boy does that cover a lot of ground), but a figure of the Stilt-man would just be incredibly cool to have. 

Oops, I just got the "You're sixty years old, when are you going to stop buying toys?" speech. The answer of course is "Not any time soon, dear!" I have long since given up on explaining the difference between "toys" and "action figures". That's just not the hill to die on.  So... Twenty bucks on Spymaster and ten bucks on cat toys and everything's rosy. One just has to know when to go to the high spots. (Who says you can't learn valuable life skills from pro wrestling?) ?

• Like 1

I'm not really a fan of the cartoony look, as most of what I have are figures with a more realistic look. Also, I really, really hate the Batman look with the yellow background for the bat symbol. Nothing says "Terrifying creature of the night!" like a bright yellow symbol on the chest. Realistically, it's not a symbol, it's a fucking target for the thugs.

One thing I like about the Golden Age stories is the sheer unremitting violence that was so prevalent back then. In the 1960s Hawkman was always carrying around a medieval weapon (usually a mace) but you never saw him actually use it on anybody. Dial it back to the 1940s and Hawkman was one bloodthirsty son-of-bitch. Maces, swords, lances, whatever was on hand, Hawkman would seriously fuck people up. As for Batman, the guy who never kills, he still managed to leave behind quite the string of corpses as the criminals had an alarming tendency to fall off of buildings, get run over by trucks, accidently shoot each other, etc. Batman just happened to terrify the bad guys to the extent that they would jump off of six-story buildings, fall off of piers into the freezing waters of Gotham City, etc., etc., etc. 

Pre-code superhero strips were just golden, we didn't have anything like it until the Spectre run in Adventure many years later.  I still recall one strip wherein the Spectre turns into a giant pair of scissors and cuts a guy in half. Now that's the goods, that was the sort of shit that 1940s Hawkman would get up to. The 1960s version always carried around an impressive weapon (as I mentioned, usually a studded mace), the 1940s version made it a point to USE the weapon. Whereas Superman or the Flash would nab the crooks and deliver them to the police, Hawkman would just fuck somebody's shit up but good. I recall one strip where he kills off a gang of five or six bank robbers as I guess it was more convenient than actually capturing them for the police. One might note that one is generally not given the death penalty for armed robbery, but that's a minor cavil. I think more than any other character of the time Hawkman was in spirit a complete throwback to the pulp heroes like the Spider and the Shadow. If you get a chance, read a couple of Spider novels... You have to keep reminding yourself that he's the "good guy", as he leaves a trail of dead bodies in his wake. He even has a stamp concealed in his cigarette lighter that leaves a bright red spider imprint on the deceased just to be certain he's properly "credited". 

For some reasons the police misunderstand the Spider's crime fighting methods... Of course those misunderstood methods include breaking and entering, assault and battery, kidnapping, torture, and murder; so the possibilities of misunderstanding are fairly high. Whereas the Shadow was quite capable of using lethal force (twn .45s), that sort of thing was usually a last resort used to wrap the story. In the case of the Spider, lethal force was usually the order of the day. The author of this mayhem was Norvell Page, a popular pulp writer known for being able to bang out a 60,000 word novel over the weekend when necessary. He took over writing duties on The Spider with the third or fourth issue and the first year or so is fairly low key compared to what was going to come. By the second year the editors stopped looking over his shoulder and Page had a free hand to do whatever the fuck he wanted to, what he generally wanted to do was to present mayhem on a grand scale with situations  like  packs of wild dogs being infected with bubonic plague and turned loose on the hapless citizens. By the mid-point of his second year the level of violence and resulting body counts became simply ridiculous with nothing else in the pulps coming close with the exception of  G-8 and his Battle Aces which had the excuse of actually being set in WWI; the Spider's antics were set in contemporary New York.  For sheer unbridled mayhem you just don't get any "better" than the Spider or G-8. As violent as the Spider novels were, G-8 stories read like the author (Robert J. Hogan) had dropped some bad acid and then sat down at the typewriter, you had things like Austrian hussars armed with sabres riding giant vampire bats, a maniac who would instruct his pilot to get above an Allied plane and then leap into the cockpit throwing both pilot and gunner to their deaths. How this stuff not only got published in the first place, but actually ran for over a decade is anyone's guess. I would imagine that there are examples on-line somewhere as I believe both magazines lapsed into the Public Domain.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 6:36 PM, OSJ said:

I'm not really a fan of the cartoony look, as most of what I have are figures with a more realistic look. Also, I really, really hate the Batman look with the yellow background for the bat symbol. Nothing says "Terrifying creature of the night!" like a bright yellow symbol on the chest. Realistically, it's not a symbol, it's a fucking target for the thugs.

Have you read Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (1986) by Frank Miller? It's about an older Bruce Wayne who comes back as Batman. Miller's the first writer I remember offering a reason for the yellow oval, it's there so crooks shoot at it rather than his head. I like the yellow oval. I grew up on it with the reruns of the 1960s Batman TV show/Batman: The Movie (1966), Batman (1989) and Batman: The Animated Series (1992-1995). Yeah, I watched Batman (1989) when I was five or six years old so seven or eight with Batman Returns (1992). I also like the Bat on it's own through Batman: Year One (1987), the comics and The Dark Knight Trilogy. t's been a long time since the yellow oval was on the Batsuit in the comic books. The DC Rebirth suit tried to please both camps by a gold trim around the bat.

Tagging @Eivion as I think he'd like to see the Batman figures from Batman: The Animated Series, The New Batman Adventures and Justice League. I know @The Unholy Dragon collects them.

I think Batman from Batman: The Adventures Continue line is the definitive figure of Batman from Batman: The Animated Series compared to the DC Collectibles one which I own and Batman with Batcycle. The blue highlights on the Batman: The Adventures Continue  Batman figure's cowl, gloves, trunks and boots finish the figure off nicely and accurately.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/20/2020 at 3:58 AM, The Natural said:

You know I'm a massive Batman fan and love Batman: The Animated Series. I bought this last week...

Batman from Batman: The Animated Series statue by ArtFX+/Kotobukiya. The figure comes with three different cowl expressions, four different mouth reactions and three different right hands, this one with the trusty Batarang. The statue stands on the iconic Bat symbol. The Bat symbol stores the different parts. I’m really pleased with this purchase.

What's the size like on that? I've been staring at it at work for months.

Also the JL Batman figure is a few years old but was an exclusive for DC Nation members and thus functionally US only. Thankfully it's finally getting an international release.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2020 at 7:33 PM, The Unholy Dragon said:

What's the size like on that? I've been staring at it at work for months.

19cm counting the Bat symbol base.

7.5 inches counting the Bat symbol base.

It's a great likeness of Batman from Batman: The Animated Series.

On 5/31/2020 at 7:33 PM, The Unholy Dragon said:

Also the JL Batman figure is a few years old but was an exclusive for DC Nation members and thus functionally US only. Thankfully it's finally getting an international release.

I didn't know that. Thanks. I preferred Justice League to Justice League Unlimited. If I ranked the DCAU cartoons:

1. Batman: The Animated Series.

2. The New Adventures of Batman and Robin. As noted I really dislike the majority of the redesigns and the show itself wasn't at the level of B: TAS.

3. Justice League.

4. Batman of the Future.

I can't wait for these to come:

12321155-1754712417190393.jpg

12378870-7924726443500064.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Picked up my first toy of the year (my MACH hasn't shipped yet), Transformers Earthrise Starscream. He's gorgeous, and does a much better job of being what I wanted the Seekers to be based on the cartoon,/comic design than the 2007 Classics version did.

Still really excited to get that Abe Jenkins toy