Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
Elsalvajeloco

UFC Fight Night 112: Chiesa vs. Lee (6/25/2017) - Oklahoma City, OK (Chesapeake Energy Arena)

Recommended Posts

034124_OKC_Arena_Update_720x400-c883cb0d

UFC Fight Night 112: Chiesa vs. Lee
June 25, 2017
Oklahoma City, OK (Chesapeake Energy Arena)

Michael Chiesa (155) vs. Kevin Lee (156) - Lee, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (4:37)
Tim Boetsch (186) vs. Johny Hendricks (188)** - Boetsch, TKO (punches), R2 (0:46)
Felice Herrig (115) vs. Justine Kish (116) - Herrig, DEC (unanimous)
Joachim Christensen (206) vs. Dominick Reyes (205) - Reyes, TKO (punches), R1 (0:29)
Tim Means (171) vs. Alex Garcia (171) - Means, DEC (unanimous)
B.J. Penn (146) vs. Dennis Siver (146) - Siver, DEC (majority)

Fox Sports 2 Preliminary Card:
Clay Guida (156) vs. Erik Koch (155) - Guida, DEC (unanimous)
Vitor Miranda (186) vs. Marvin Vettori (185) - Vettori, DEC (unanimous)
Carla Esparza (116) vs. Maryna Moroz (115) - Esparza, DEC (unanimous)
Devin Powell (155) vs. Darrell Horcher (155) - Horcher, DEC (split)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Jared Gordon (149)* vs. Michel Quiñones (145) - Gordon, TKO (punches), R2 (2:42)
Tony Martin (156) vs. Johnny Case (156) - Martin, DEC (unanimous)
Josh Stansbury (206) vs. Jeremy Kimball (204) - Kimball, TKO (punches), R1 (1:21)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight
**Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000): 
Performance of the Night: Jeremy Kimball
Performance of the Night: Dominick Reyes
Performance of the Night: Tim Boetsch
Performance of the Night: Kevin Lee
 
Attendance: 7,605
Gate: $549,302
Rating: 819,000 viewers

Cancelled Fights:
Ilir Latifi vs. Antônio Rogério Nogueira  - Injury to Nogueira (Neck)
Azamat Murzakanov vs.  Joachim Christensen - Injury to Murazakanov

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Penn is opening a low level Fight Night card now? Jesus. He needs a good friend to tell him its time to move on to a new phase of his career.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Penn is opening a low level Fight Night card now? Jesus. He needs a good friend to tell him its time to move on to a new phase of his career.

Not sure because the poster has it third from the top, but the UFC.com order is the one I put in the original post. Maybe they switch it around on Saturday during the weigh-in, but that's what it's looking like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both Jared Gordon and Johny Hendricks in his second fight at middleweight missed weight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How does Hendricks miss weight at middleweight?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

How does Hendricks miss weight at middleweight?

Wendy's?

But seriously, I would guess trying to add too much muscle to compete at 185.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was a pretty good fight between Tony Martin and Johnny Case. Case took round 1 and Martin won the last two rounds. Easily Tony Martin's best performance in the UFC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jared Gordon looks like a very good prospect. Good striking, good wrestling, and a John Danaher black belt. Hopefully, he can fix the weight issue next time out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's over Sweet Baby Jay. The only reason he didn't get finished tonight is because he was fighting an old post-USADA Dennis Siver. This is not a comeback. He should never fight in an Octagon again.

BJ Penn's top game used to be a death sentence. He couldn't do a damn thing against Siver who is no grappling wizard like Penn is SUPPOSED to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

It's over Sweet Baby Jay. The only reason he didn't get finished tonight is because he was fighting an old post-USADA Dennis Siver. This is not a comeback. He should never fight in an Octagon again.

BJ Penn's top game used to be a death sentence. He couldn't do a damn thing against Siver who is no grappling wizard like Penn is SUPPOSED to be.

Siver looks pretty much the same as he did before the test failure. It's just that he can't really hit spin wheel kicks to the liver on random lower tier lightweights anymore.

Penn looked decent in stretches against Siver, but his game is so antiquated for 2017. If all you can do is box and do elementary combos against a kickboxer who is active, you're going to lose unless you land a hell of a combination or punch. That's what happened here. He had nine minutes of cardio and lost 6 minutes of that 9 minutes. That uppercut was the last ditch effort for him. By the time he got on top of Siver, he was dead tired. 

It was funny to me that Dominick Cruz of all people was saying BJ needs to do this, that, and basically stuff that BJ hasn't done or rarely did his entire career. Penn has always been a stationery boxer who could check low kicks. That doesn't work in 2017. You could be in phenomenal shape and be 25 years old and still lose that fight everytime.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Siver looks pretty much the same as he did before the test failure. It's just that he can't really hit spin wheel kicks to the liver on random lower tier lightweights anymore.

Penn looked decent in stretches against Siver, but his game is so antiquated for 2017. If all you can do is box and do elementary combos against a kickboxer who is active, you're going to lose unless you land a hell of a combination or punch. That's what happened here. He had nine minutes of cardio and lost 6 minutes of that 9 minutes. That uppercut was the last ditch effort for him. By the time he got on top of Siver, he was dead tired. 

It was funny to me that Dominick Cruz of all people was saying BJ needs to do this, that, and basically stuff that BJ hasn't done or rarely did his entire career. Penn has always been a stationery boxer who could check low kicks. That doesn't work in 2017. You could be in phenomenal shape and be 25 years old and still lose that fight everytime.

 

He didn't look decent at all.  He already looked slow and tired shortly into the first round.  He had Siver knocked down and in mount, and he did nothing to him.  Penn was renowned for his top BJJ and grappling game for years.  

In round three he was a punching bag in a 10-8 round.  He had his hands down and was just circling.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

He didn't look decent at all.  

In stretches is different from the entirety of the bout. He was landing solid jabs when Siver got into range, and set up the knockdown by faking a simple 1-2. But everytime Siver pushed him back with low kicks or spin kicks and threw hooks, BJ was very off balances. When BJ wasn't setting anything up, Siver was land 3 or 4 for every 1 BJ landed. That adds up.

20 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

 Penn was renowned for his top BJJ and grappling game for years.  

But when was the last time he used that. His main coach for like the last few years has been Jason Parillo, who is basically a boxing coach. I think it was Rudy Valentino tonight. When was his last submission or more importantly last performance he really did all that? He was renowned for some of that, but when did he ever use it for several fights in row. Penn had stuff in his arsenal, but Penn's real thing was his power. Now that's pretty much out the window. Plus, the type and level of opposition is important to consider. It's not 2003 or 2004 anymore. The run he had with the LW belt was prior to a major shift in MMA. The type of folks who won the LW belt after him have been activity heavy fighters with varied games. Even Bendo in a fight like he had with Nate Diaz showed he could do different stuff.

20 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

In round three he was a punching bag in a 10-8 round.  He had his hands down and was just circling.  

If you are dead tired, that's what going to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dominick Reyes...DDDDDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, supremebve said:

Dominick Reyes...DDDDDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

I posted this in the WSOF, Bellator, AXS, Fight Pass Thread on June 2:

Quote

I think Reyes and Maikel Perez (a Cuban Olympic wrestler who trains at Kings MMA who won earlier) can compete on the next level. They may be ones to keep an eye on.

Reyes is really good. Like a really good striker. The question is going to be how does he deal with good grapplers? He can smash a ton of light heavyweights on the feet, especially in the absence of a Rumble Johnson who was second to none. Hopefully, he is the goods because LHW needs it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

In stretches is different from the entirety of the bout. He was landing solid jabs when Siver got into range, and set up the knockdown by faking a simple 1-2. But everytime Siver pushed him back with low kicks or spin kicks and threw hooks, BJ was very off balances. When BJ wasn't setting anything up, Siver was land 3 or 4 for every 1 BJ landed. That adds up.

But when was the last time he used that. His main coach for like the last few years has been Jason Parillo, who is basically a boxing coach. I think it was Rudy Valentino tonight. When was his last submission or more importantly last performance he really did all that? He was renowned for some of that, but when did he ever use it for several fights in row. Penn had stuff in his arsenal, but Penn's real thing was his power. Now that's pretty much out the window. Plus, the type and level of opposition is important to consider. It's not 2003 or 2004 anymore. The run he had with the LW belt was prior to a major shift in MMA. The type of folks who won the LW belt after him have been activity heavy fighters with varied games. Even Bendo in a fight like he had with Nate Diaz showed he could do different stuff.

If you are dead tired, that's what going to happen.

That's the point man.  It's been forever since it was renowned and now it's non-existent.  he shouldn't be anywhere near a cage or a ring at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he has fights on his deal, they're most likely going to give him a fight. There ain't a ton of FWs he could beat. I mean Jared Gordon, who headlined the Fight Pass prelims, would beat the holy hell out of BJ worse than Siver did in round 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, he didn't tap, but...he clearly gave up on trying to fight off that choke.  He wasn't even trying to grab his hands, he can complain that Yamasaki stopped it before he passed out, but he clearly accepted his fate.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, supremebve said:

OK, he didn't tap, but...he clearly gave up on trying to fight off that choke.  He wasn't even trying to grab his hands, he can complain that Yamasaki stopped it before he passed out, but he clearly accepted his fate.

After Kish surviving the choke from Herrig, it is a horrendous stop.

However, that fight wasn't going to get better for Chiesa. In a rematch, that fight is going to go the same way unless he subs Lee in the first few minutes. Lee is clearly a top five lightweight and a bad matchup for Chiesa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't really see that as requiring a re-match like both seemed to be open to, I think he was about two seconds from going out anyway, I've seen far worse stops. Lee needs to move on to better things, not fight again against someone that by then will probably be ranked #8 or so. Thems the breaks sometimes in MMA, no need to stall Lee's career a match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Johny Hendricks has missed weight 3 or 4 times now. It's just not on failing like that. John Lineker holdss the record with 5?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...