DVDVR Message Board

Pirata Morgan, Hombre Bala y Verdugo vs. Atlantis, Angel Azteca y Ringo Mendoza (3/88)

Phil Schneider

• 1 month later...

This is great.  The crowd is deafening and it adds a ton to the atmosphere.  First fall rudo beat down is good stuff, slamming Atlantis over the top rope and sending Azteca flying halfway across the ring with a huge 3 man press slam; which is played off nicely later as when the technicos mount their comeback, which is a great moment, they throw (I think?) Estrada across the ring with a big two man press slam.  Then the match really kicks into gear.  A lot of it from then out is classic technico exhibition, showing off their skill and finesse by taking out multiple rudos at once, but to me that stuff really felt like it had a certain edge to it and made it more competitive and hard fought than normal.  Atlantis and Azteca are spectacularly athletic in this match and hit some beautiful stuff while Ringo brings the strikes to add some intensity.  Match ends with Azteca hitting a dive, Atlantis hitting an incredibly wild over the top dive and then Ringo getting one of the better foules you'll see right as the tape cuts out.  Since the low blow was in full view of both refs I can't imagine this goes on much longer but it's still a let down.  One of my top 5 trios thus far.

On his blog OJ says not all of the viewing committee was sold on this one which strikes me as odd, I loved the hell out of this.

• 2 weeks later...

Now this is a fucking great trios match right here. Los Bucaneros strike again with their brutal triple teams and intricate stooging/miscommunication but this time against an even more spectacular tecnico trio. Angel Azteca was a pretty spectacular young high flyer at this point but Atlantis really shines here in what is one of his absolute best matches. That over the top rope tope he hits is superhuman as are those breathtaking midair armdrags where he leaps and spins before coming down and grabbing his opponents in midair. Those are spots that require cooperation from all parties but they are so perfectly executed here with such good timing that it's easy to forget how the magicians really perform their tricks.

When I first watched this I missed the low blow and thought we completely missed the finish. Seeing the lowblow doesn't prove to me that we didn't miss anything but it does at least give me a sense of where the match went from there. Still, with a full picture of the finish or a truly decisive finish we could have had the best trios match on the whole set right here. This is still pretty close and is going to be very high on my ballot when all is said and done.

• 2 weeks later...

Bucaneros waste no time and ditch their plastic swords for the beatdown in a hurry. Crowd is super hot for the tecnico comeback. There's some really sloppy rudo miscommunication with one horrible spot where one of the pirates gets dumped by his bros on the floor. The part where all three are selling fake foules from Ringo's kicks is humorous though. The refs finally make them quit smarming like vultures on the tecnicos for the final fall, we get two big dives, and then... a foule that gets cut? Who knows. Overall I don't think this was anything special. Yeah Atlantis is always breathtakingly smooth (him spinning like a top in the air before hitting an armdrag was siiiiiiiiiick) but he wasn't enough to make this more than middle of the road to me.

• 5 months later...

I thought the miscommunication spots looked a bit choreographed, like the timing wasn't quite right, but everything else in this was just amazing, and this is probably my favourite trios on the set so far. Can't believe this cut out right at the death.

• 5 months later...

The video quality and abrupt ending hurt this a little for me, but the first fall was brutal and very effective, especially the way Azteca is tossed around and triple-dropkicked as he kneels in the ring.  The crowd reactions do add a lot as the technicos make their comeback in the second fall.  The rudo miscommunication and foule claims made the second fall quite fun.  Atlantis's dive over the top rope at the end is one of the best dives on this set.  If it wasn't for the problems I mentioned, this could be top 10, but as it is, I see this finishing probably in my top 30.

• 4 weeks later...

Bucaneros had some really cool looking double and triple teams in their complete domination during the first fall. The poor video quality combined with matching outfits means I'm not even going to try and figure out who is who on the rudo side. One of the rudos hits a NICE fistdrop on Mendoza. The comeback in the 2nd fall was awesome with the fighting on the outside but it kind of drags a little after that. I love rudo stooging but the timing felt a little off on some of the stuff in the 2nd fall. I did like all 3 of them crying foul at the same time. Atlantis really stood out as the star of his team, he looks like an entirely different worker than the first few Atlantis matches on the set. Whoa that Atlantis dive is BEYOND insane. Then we see a foul that I assume was the finish because the match immediately cuts off. I liked the first half of this match a lot better than the second, things started to fall apart a bit after the fiery tecnico comeback. I think this will probably finish midrange for me.