DVDVR Message Board

Canelo vs. Chávez Jr. (5/6/2017) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

676112_l.jpg

Canelo vs. Chávez Jr. 
May 6, 2017
Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Saúl Álvarez (164) vs. Julio César Chávez Jr. (165) - Álvarez, DEC (unanimous)
David Lemieux (163) vs. Marco Reyes (163) - Lemieux, DEC (unanimous)
Lucas Matthysse (147) vs. Emmanuel Taylor (147) - Matthysse, TKO (referee stoppage), R5 (2:21)
Joseph Diaz (125.5) vs. Manuel Avila (125) - Diaz, DEC (unanimous)

Free Preview Preliminary Card:
Ryan Garcia (131.7) vs. Tyrone Luckey (131) - Garcia, TKO (referee stoppage), R2 (2:20)
Marlen Esparza (110.5) vs. Samantha Salazar (111) - Esparza, DEC (unanimous)
Raul Curiel (148.4) vs. Jesus Ibarra Sanchez (148.5) - Curiel, DEC (unanimous)
Ronny Rios (122) vs. Daniel Noriega (122) - Rios, TKO (referee stoppage), R4 (2:22)
Joseph Aguirre (135) vs. Angel Aispuro (134) - Aguirre, DEC (unanimous)

Attendance: 20,510
Gate: $10.6 million
Buyrate: 1 million

7 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I haven't seen Chavez Jr. in forever.  Can he beat him? 

Forever?  He UDed Britsch five months ago.  That's not an usually long lay off for a boxer.

As to whether or not he can beat Canelo, probably not.  Chavez didn't have enough firepower to put down Sergio Martinez and Canelo is about as polished of a slugger as there is in boxing.  He has withered down everyone not named Floyd Mayweather via steady but heavy attrition..

I don't even think that Chavez has the proverbial puncher's chance.  He's had to grind out quite a few decisions lately now that he's not fighting tomato cans anymore.  Canelo will punish the body in the mid rounds and then go upstairs and win by UD or maybe TKO.

With GGG finally showing some signs of vulnerability after struggling to beat Jacobs, the Canelo / GGG money fight needs to happen pretty soon before someone suffers an embarrassing defeat.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

Forever?  He UDed Britsch five months ago.  That's not an usually long lay off for a boxer.

I'm pretty sure he means in a marquee bout. Dominik Britsch isn't a marquee opponent nor is Marco Reyes. The ratings for the fights post Top Rank termination kinda spell that out.

As for whether he can beat Canelo, he won't if it is contingent that he is motivated or not. I'm not even sure what that means. It just seems like some BJ Penn type excuse for some of his dismal performances. The only thing he really has going for him is size, and I don't think that's really going to play that huge a factor. That was more or less Arum's reason for keeping Chavez from fighting Canelo, and that itself seems much like a extremely weird reason in hindsight. Being tough and big is only going to get him so far. The latter just meant he was going to blow weight a lot. All this means is he might make it interesting for a few moments in the fight, but largely will play the role of large punching bag for 12 rounds. 

Chavez Jr. just isn't the talent everyone expected him to be once he shook the Top Rank PPV headliner status. HBO found two guys to fill the capacity they wanted out of JCC Jr. They found a Mexican draw (Canelo) and they found someone who can beat legit middleweights (Golovkin). He has become pretty much obsolete. The caliber of guys Chavez Jr. would have been facing over the last two years or since he bungled the fight against Martinez are the same guys Golovkin mopped up and then some in more impressive fashion.  It's different when you're fighting John Duddy and Peter Manfredo Jr. You can look like a monster facing those dudes. He has fought for almost a decade and a half and still hasn't faced real world class opposition. That is FOUR Olympics cycles ago. Sergio wasn't even in his prime when Chavez fought him. 

I think the only thing this fight might prove is that Bob Arum should've waited a little longer to cut bait on Chavez Jr. He still might be the bigger draw compared to anyone in Top Rank's stable who is suppose to be the next coming after Pacquiao. There is no guarantee that Verdejo, Lomachenko, Valdez, Stevenson, and Conlan reach that level of superstar past drawing a decent gate. Arum could've gotten that big buyrate from Chavez Jr. fighting Cotto and Canelo (before GBP decided to make it) at least.

The funniest thing here is that JCC Jr. is the closest to a legit MW Canelo has fought, and the bout is being contested four pounds above the middleweight limit. The only shot that I would give Chavez Jr. is if Canelo hit a development wall. I've been saying since Mayweather vs. Canelo that the Reynoso father-son tandem isn't the ideal team to bring Canelo along. It's evident that they are not world class trainers, but have been handed a world class talent. If Canelo can outbox and/or outbrawl you, he can destroy you or at the very worst win a wide decision. If he can't do either, he will look very pedestrian (ex. against Lara, before the KO against Khan, and a vast majority of the Mayweather fight). For all his faults, JCC Jr. can at least be a savvy boxer for stretches. Whether or not he can do that to win a points decision remains to be seen. Otherwise, he might be in survival mode early on.

• Like 1

There's definitely some buzz surrounding the fight but I wondered why.  To answer JT, it's just that I haven't seen Chavez Jr. in a long time because I didn't seek out his lesser fights. That said, I've had people at work and outside of work discussing the "big fight" and I even contemplated going out with a couple buddies and watching it somewhere.  I think part of this is simply it's Cinco de mayo weekend and the other part is Chavez Jr. has some name value.  It's not Canelo vs. "some guy",  it's a recognizable name. I'm interested in it but it's difficult when the outcome is not in doubt.  I'm starving for boxing this Summer. 

Bob Arum spent all of three years saying Canelo was too small to fight Chavez...well, at least he can sit at home embarrassed instead of at ringside embarrassed.