DVDVR Message Board

2016 AFL Thread

sabremike

Season kicked off this week. My navy blues are probably going to end up with the wooden spoon but at least they were able to keep the opener vs Richmond close.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zev said:

How're the Demons looking this year?

they were very good in the pre-season matches and played well in their 2 point win vs GWS on the weekend.  There's a lot to like with their young players coming through.

• Like 1

@Cleavy: Very first AFL matchup I saw was the 88 Grand Final when it aired on ESPN. Demons got thumped, but I had never seen the sport before, and I just thought they had a cool team name. I don't follow the sport like I used to, but I do like to know how things go now and then.

@Zheroen: Thanks for the highlights of the Bulldogs matchup. One-sided indeed.

Won't be terribly grand if you're a Hawthorn fan, as they are currently missing 10(!) players through injury, with captain Luke Hodge having suffered a broken forearm in the last round that will see him out of action for six weeks.  They actually fielded a player last round who had never even seen a minute of NAB Challenge action last week.

On 29/03/2016 at 4:42 AM, Zheroen said:

Won't be terribly grand if you're a Hawthorn fan, as they are currently missing 10(!) players through injury, with captain Luke Hodge having suffered a broken forearm in the last round that will see him out of action for six weeks.  They actually fielded a player last round who had never even seen a minute of NAB Challenge action last week.

same teams, same ground, same result, same margin of victory.

• 4 weeks later...

Carlton beat Essendon last night which gives us back to back victories. That is two more wins than I expected this season. Just annoyed that only the opener has been on TV here.

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, evilwaldo said:

10 out of 11.

Halfway through the season the Roos are head and shoulders above the rest of the league.

their fixture for the 2nd half of the season is a lot harder, so we will see where they really stand.  I still don't rate them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Kangaroos have not won a match since evilwaldo proclaimed them to be head and shoulders above the rest of the league. I think he may have jinxed them. :)

Six rounds left to go, and the top 7 are all within 2 games.

21 hours ago, Dewar said:

The Kangaroos have not won a match since evilwaldo proclaimed them to be head and shoulders above the rest of the league. I think he may have jinxed them. :)

Six rounds left to go, and the top 7 are all within 2 games.

and it's still a possibility that they could miss the finals (finish outside the top 8).  Looks like percentage might decide the order of the finalists (the difference between the double chance or getting a home final), since the ladder is quite congested.

• 1 month later...

so there's a week off before the finals starts next week (all days noted below are Australian time).  Numbers in brackets are where the finalists finished on the ladder at the end of the season..

THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 8

(6) West Coast v Western Bulldogs (7) (2nd Elimination Final)

FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 9

(2) Geelong v Hawthorn (3) (2nd Qualifying Final)

SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 10

(1) Sydney v GWS (4) (1st Qualifying Final)

(5) Adelaide v North Melbourne (8) (1st Elimination Final)

Winners of the Qualifying finals get 1 week off and progress to the Preliminary finals.  Losers of the Qualifying finals play the winners of the Elimination finals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_AFL_finals_series

We managed to avoid the wooden spoon and were granted one of the spots in the soon to begin women's league, so I judge the season to be a success. If we win the sprint at halftime of the Grand Final that would be gravy.

• 2 weeks later...