DVDVR Message Board

The Wild Youtube Ride!

Ever watched a match on the Youtube and once it was over saw another match in the recommended section and then watched that one?  And then the next one?  And then you were divorced and living with your Dad and his girlfriend Maxie?  And then Maxie made a pass at you?  And then your Dad and you had a long talk about Maxie and he decided he wasn’t with her for love but because he was scared about being alone after your Mom left?  And then you hugged your dad?  

Great!

Let’s do it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgJOjXEuf2c

Red Rooster vs. Richard Charland

I came to this off a suggested link from the King Kong Bundy Wrestler of the Day thread by the way. I have no idea who Richard Charland is but he has some of that good undercard Cuban Assassin bulk to him.   I always felt Terry was a bit underrated by the community at large for being in the Rooster gimmick but was only able to flash occasional greatness.

Terry Taylor comes out firing with some basic opening card stuff before he jams himself into the ring post with a charge. This allows Dick Char to go to town on the shoulder with some punchy kicky goodness.  Very simple stuff going on here as Rooster puts some nice heat on a no name guy.  Richard steps on his shoulder and pulls up on it in a nice little spot before taking Taylor to the canvas with a hair pull.  But Charland misses a Bossman straddle and gets hit with a jawbreaker.  Terry dodges a charge and picks Charland up with a chickenwing submission for the win.

This is pretty good opening match fodder as Terry puts his opponent over quite a bit before taking a win with nothing that is going to be hard to top later in the card.  Simple stuff and kind of a lost art in today’s scene since the way shows are put together have completely changed.  This is more of a pre appetizer to a large meal rather than the first act of a blockbuster movie.  I would reference amuz bouse here but hell if I can spell that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-FQte518_Y

Terry Taylor vs. Jake “The Snake” Roberts

This is to determine the number one contender to the North American Heavyweight Title and a shot with Dick Slater.  They start off pretty quick with some arm work with Jake getting a slight advantage before a shoulder tackle sends him across the mat.  Jake looks to hook the DDT early but Terry escapes quickly and when Jake goes to a headlock, Terry drop him with a belly-to-back suplex.  Taylor drives Jake out of the ring with the five arm and capitalizes with a suplex and a leg drop for a two.  Terry starts to work the arm over and turns an arm wringer into a back slide in an interesting transition before going back to the arm.  Jake finally has enough and winds him up for the short arm clothesline.  Jake goes to the reverse chinlock but Taylor manages to counter into a side backbreaker.  Jake fights back with this knee lift that Terry sells like hot death.  And when Terry reverses an Irish whip, Jake is ready and waiting with the DDT.  But when he rolls Taylor over, Taylor’s leg is under the bottom rope!  Nice way to buy some time by Taylor getting out of ring here but as he comes back in, Jake levels him with another knee lift coming through the ropes.  Jake goes to the kneelift well one too many times though and misses a third one, letting Taylor capture him with a small package for the three. Terry does a good job selling post match as he alternates between celebrating a key victory while having the world’s worst migraine.

This is an interesting contest.  Jake’s DDT is seen as a devastating weapon but not the red hot weapon of complete death.  Like I cannot imagine someone taking a DDT and still winning back in the day.  They still protect the move by having Terry not even putting his foot on the ropes and having him roll to the outside but still.  This is still a spirited outing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlTdKXcHtUg

Jake "The Snake" Roberts & The Barbarian vs. Rock N Roll Express - June 28, 1985

This is John Nord as The Barbarian I do believe.  I love The Rock ‘n’ Rolls so much, I can watch them squash jobbers all day long and I know how backwards that sounds.  I enjoy how they used misdirection as a weapon in Smokey Mountain.  The Barbarian is obviously raw at this point and seems to want to work a headlock when he should be a murder machine. Jake goes to Ricky’s arm but its uninspired as Ricky shockingly doesn’t sell it well.  I know!  Jake is better at directing traffic as he misses an elbow and directs Barbarian to come in and do one too. Jake is clearly the leader of the team.  

This is really not as good as I hoped thus far.  Robert and Jake play around with a side headlock for a bit with Jake grabbing him by the tights for pinfall attempts about a million times.  They do a rope run deal that looks like it was set for Barbarian to throw a knee from the outside but he never does.  Jake continues to do the tights pulling out of the headlock and ugh.  Jake does the Andre caught in the ropes spot and this shows some life as The Rock’n’Rolls take turns getting licks in as Barbarian chases each of them away.  Jake finally gets out and takes a face plant in the ring to a really nice payoff to the spot.  

Things start getting weird though as Ricky and Robert keep covering Jake in turn and the referee counts.  Finally The Barbarian gets in and press slams Ricky before going back to the standing headlock.  Thankfully he goes to clubbing and backbreakers but the headlock is back soon.  He tags out to Jake who goes to the chinlock.  Ricky flips out but eats the knee lift.  Robert comes in to allow the Barbarian to punch Ricky really poorly.  Barbarian drops a leg and goes to the front facelock.  Ricky tries stomping his feet to escape but it doesn’t work.  Ricky finally gets the tag after a miscommunication spot and Robert gets in.  The Barbarian goes on to mess up pretty much everything the Rock’n’Rolls try and boy Jesus…  Bowling Shoe Ugly.  Robert gets a roll up but Jake DDTs him for the pin.  

This just is not good even discounting the Barbarian.  Jake just doesn’t have his trademark timing here either and Ricky and Robert are not their normal selves either.  I don’t know if they just had to slow down so much so Barbarian could keep up or what.  I can't recommend this less as a fan of three of the guys.

What’s next? I'm thinking some Berzerker! Who is with me?

• Like 5

The wife is out of town...  What do you want from me?

Greg The Hammer Valentine vs The Berzerker

So you may have heard some wacky forum guy who will remain nameless say crazy things about how The Berzerker is some sort of lost super worker that went totally unappreciated during his time.  Lets laugh at him!

MWUHAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA!

Hold it.  Wait.  What?  Crap.  This thing is actually good.  Berzerker is actually good.  Well shit.

Zerker is the world's largest bump freak and just dives shoulder first into a corner like a madman.  He's kinetic and spastic and its working for him.  He is a mad man.  Hammer is a face in this and he is totally game working way faster than is typical.  Everything Berzerker does is out of control and wacky in a good way and his incomprehensible conversations with Fuji and punching nothing is just good character working.  He pops off a World's Strongest Slam in order to miss a leg drop so Hammer can go to the leg and Fucking Hell, Berzerker does the damn splits of a leg kick.  This has been 2 minutes of a sprint with Greg Valentine and its working!  Berzerker turns the tide with a ax handle and hits a sweet dropkick.  Nord sort of moves into a neck twist grove and it drags stuff down a little.  Although he does try to kick the referee and its pretty boss.  He then hits a beauty of a flying tackle that Hammer decides to face plant on.  Hammer comes back by powering out of a wrench but gets tied in the ropes for a boot,  But when Zerker goes again, he misses and wides the rope pony!  Pair of Hammer elbow drops but Fuji distracts him off the figure four and when Hammer goes on the chase, Zerker hits him with the cane and gets the count out.

Holy smokes!  Actively good Berzerker!  My god.

• Like 2

Must have been Valentine right?  Must have been!

Greg Valentine vs. The Warlord

Face Valentine shows some good fire actually.  I'm so not used to that.  Warlord does his best to slow him down.  Wait, you have to slow down Greg Valentine?  Greg Valentine is working faster than you?  Hammer throws some bad clotheslines before finally knocking Warlord down with a running elbow.  He goes to the figure four but can't get it on and he ends up outside.  Warlord rams him into the post and the match goes back down to a crawl.  Lord drops some forearms and boy, what a chore this is now.  Warlord is way methodical with a back breaker before going to the bear hug.  Its not the good one though, its just him holding Valentine in place.  He's not working the hold at all and when Valentine gets out, he goes right back to it.  He Hammers UP!  Okay he rubs Warlord's head and rings the bell.  Warlord goes to the middle and misses a fist drop.  Hammer jabs and crappy clotheslines Warlord before wobbling him with a running elbow.  But Warlord  reverses an Irish and hits a ... powerslam?  for three.  

Okay, maybe Berzerker had something to do with it.  Warlord is notoriously bad and this was a good example of why because he just didn't have the stuff to make his control segments interesting.  Valentine as a face is still surprisingly effective but his clotheslines were not effective as they were almost more of a running punch thing.  

I feel as though I have may have dug too deep and too greedily.

Hercules & Mr Hughes vs Warlord & Jeff Gaylord

Hercules appears to have eaten Paul Roma.  Warlord and Gaylord come out as the Renegades and the laughter in my home is loud.  This is AWF so it might have a round system.  Gaylord has a magnificent mullet, like 1.1x a Mike Awesome job.  Oh My God, Warrior's Corner comes out and its Rico Sauve the manager of Tommy Rich and Greg Valentine and he looks like Artie Lang and he complains about having to sit through this match.  He also says no matter who wins they can't keep up with Rich and Valentine's finesse, style and ... speed.  SPEED!  Rich and Valentine!  And it is not a lie!  Round 1 ends with nothing happening!

Hercules and The Warlord get ready to reinact their Madison Square Garden classic well remembered for the fans chanting steroids at both of them.  Warriors corner!  Nailz and The Executioner!  The Executioner is either Paul Ellering or is doing one heck of an impression as they call out Chris Adams and Konnan 2000.  This is the highlight.  This is men only!  The announcer is doing impressions!  I want to die!  Gaylord throws a spinkick that makes me question the use of the term.

Round 3!  Mr. Hughes throws a dropkick!  It looked good!  Brawl outside!  Double count out.  Announcer says they look a little out of gas.  I think that may be what we call an understatement.  This is like the MST3K of professional wrestling.  I can't do this justice.  Jeff Gaylord posing is hysterically funny.

What?  I have no where to be.  

Carlos Colon vs. Warlord

I am trying to get out of this deep, deep hole and this was the best option.  I mean Warlord vs. Chris Walker was not going to free me from this pit.  Maybe Colon can get me to Abdullah or something.  And away from creepy Youtube comments about The Warlord that you don't want to know about.  

In a baseball stadium!  Nice!  Fans are faaaaaaaaaaar away but close enough to throw stuff at Warlord as he comes out of the dug out.  Warlord is accompanied by Generic Heel Manager #43 (cane and mullet version).  Warlord is strong and stuff and he shows that by pushing Carlos around.  Push shove and stuff like that.  Warlord challenges him to a test of strength and Colon accepts.  That works out about as well as you might think until he thumbs him in the eye.  Colon has some tasty Warlord but Warlord gets him up in a choke before throwing one of the worst clotheslines I have ever seen.

I am amazed but Carlos is... shockingly... bleeding.  I believe a stiff breeze may been the cause.  Bear hug fu!  That eats some time.  I guess.  Carlos claps the ears to escape and low blows his way into a cartwheel and punching a bunching!  He gets a sleeper before Generic Manager distracts the referee so Warlord can get his full nelson on.  Before Carlos can low blow his way out (come on you know that was coming) GM runs across the ring and accidentally hits Warlord with the cane so Carlos can get the pin.  

I'm having fun!  Are you having fun?  Fun is mandatory!  

TNT vs. Carlos Colon (1990)

TNT has ninjas!  Ninjas!  They would later be seen abducting Samoa Joe.  Samoa Joe vs. Savio Vega would be some hardcore shit.  Carlos just has the spelling bee champions of the local elementary school.  I predict Colon will bleed.  I also predict I will be bored.  Time moves forward and someone SHOT TNT in the FACE!  It looks like we missed World War 2.3 or something.  Carlos gets a sleeper.  Turns out in close up, Colon is bleeding.

My prediction comes true!  I am Nostradomus REBORN! 

These audiences are mad, man. TNT breaks the sleeper with a low blow and trash flies into the ring.  TNT hits the Jeff Gaylord patented spin kick and gets two.  Carlos does a nice wobbly knee sell from some chops to the top of the head.  Suplex leads to a nerve hold.  This feels very much like time filling as TNT just does something, gets a two, goes back to the nerve hold for a while.  That is until Carlos low blows him.  I don't know how much stuff they've thrown in the ring but its splashing whenever they bump.  Or it may be from rain?  They then go into the bridge to a backslide spot but Savio can't get it up and is on the canvas for like 10 seconds all pinned.  Good thing the referee didn't bother to get down to count.

Headlock takedown back to the bridge spot again and again Savio can't get it up.  TEE HEE.  TNT punches a bit until Carlos punches back.  And he settles back into a nerve hold.  Carlos looks like the damn mummy with blood in close up.  Colon punches and dirt flies every where.  But he misses a dropkick in the corner and TNT takes back over.  I;m now looking up where my dog has his eye appointment on Monday.  I'm bored.  30 minutes of this might be too much.  Cobra clutch for a couple of minutes but as soon as he lets go, Colon rolls TNT up from behind for two.  Clutch again but Carlos drives him into the buckle for 2.  Savio misses a Earthquake splash but very slowly gets a pinning combination while grabbing the ropes.   Ugh, life is too short for this...

FAST FOWWWWRD.  Seriously I could have watched 3 Warlord matches in this amount of time.

Colon gets a figure four but TNT makes it the time limit.

Jeff Gaylord... I miss you.

Can't stop!  Can't stop the ROCK!

The Barbarian vs Giant Warrior (aka Gringo Warrior)

With a name like Giant Warrior, he must be good!  This is regular Barbarian complete with antlers and furry boots.  Up yours John Nord.  We are back in a baseball stadium to keep fans from murdering people.  Although The Barbarian is not the guy I would try to rush in on.  GW may be Nitron?  Oh who cares.  He's a tall guy.

They work the arm and its ponderous man, ponderous.  They fight into the field and Barbarian steals second.  Back in and there is a Giant atomic drop and a clothesline before... back to the arm.  Barbs finally takes over with lackluster brawling but he's not getting paid enough to be there or something.  Chinlock for you GW!  Wow is this a drag.  I feel like I am letting you all down.  But nothing  is happening that should be mentioned.  Barbs misses a middle rope elbow and Giant Warrior is a house of room temperature water!  He is warming up the boot when someone runs out... who according the announcers is either Hiro Matsuda, Fuji or Kim Duk.  Barbarian hits GWubs with a boot ... like he took it off first.  

I don't even.

• Like 1

It was all a plan!  A plan I tells you!  I knew if I went down the Warlord hole, I would get to the Barbarian some how!  And if you get to The Barbarian, you might get to...

Meng vs. The Giant

If you ever watched a match and been, well if it 5 more minutes, it would be a classic?  Man, forget that.  This bitch is under five minutes and I want nothing more out of it.  They GO TO WAR.  Chop, leg kick, fuck you, side kick, punch you in the face, fuck you, head butt and Meng don't care!  Boot!  Finish has to be seen to be appreciated as Meng gets cut off going for the Tongan deathgrip but can't reach when Giant goes to the chokeslam!  Giant looks happy to get out alive.  Christ on a Nabisco brand cracker.  

• Like 4

Ah, I feel better now.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cAbpCF75zo

King Haku vs. Hulk Hogan

Haku is WWF isn't as great as Meng in WCW.  I mean he is more in shape and quicker, but Haku never carried the aura of menace that Meng did.  OMG... WAR BONNET!  I HAD NO IDEA!  I can't even... process... Helmet with a fist  Brain destroyed.  

These announcers are weird.  The play-by-play guy is good (Rob Gardner?) but the color guy sucks  (sorry Billy Graham).  Haku gets Hulk at the jump and goes to work.  He does a great bite and spit spot.  But Hogan fires back with some nice shots and Brain goes down.  Running elbow and elbow drop before a boot rake.  Chop!  Hogan is on fire and comes in with a corner clothesline.  Heenan with a trip and Hogan gives chase but gets pearl harbored.  Hogan comes back with a slam but misses the big elbow.  Haku goes to the nerve hold and ... man this is a spirited contest.  Hogan rallies but goes back down.  Hulk is active in the hold, selling, building heat.  Double chops set up another nerve hold but Hogan is really good at being active underneath.  Shockingly the hand does not fall the third time cause Hogan comes up!  But Haku rallies and savate kicks Hogan out of the ring.  Count gets to 9 before Haku breaks the count and he only gets back in at 8.  Haku with a suplex for 2 but ... NOOOOO.

Come on everyone, you know the words!

YOUUUU!

Punch, punch, boot, wait no...

What?   Heenan distracts with the War Bonnet and tries to get Haku to send Hogan into his own head.  Instead Hogan reverses, throws Haku into the helmet, puts on the helmet and then drops the leg.

It works.

Fuck me it works.

The damn war bonnet works.

I'm seeing if I can do this all the way to midnight.  I am an old person.  I do not stay up to midnight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mirXXzLAFc8

Big John Studd vs. King Haku

Because I have very little remembrance of John's face run.  

We start with a Genius promo and its really kind of fun.

Should I make this write up try to rhyme?

Like I have a better use of my time.

This match is only five minutes to waste.

And haiku just is not to my taste.

Haku attacks and kicks and punches.

But to slam Big John, he's out to lunches.

This sucks.  

I suck.

I hate me.

What rhymes with suplex?

John punches Haku in the tummy and the Tongan does a nice sell off it.  John works big with a body slam and ties Haku up with a hammerlock bear hug but Andre is there to distract him.  Haku kicks Studd in the back of the head and Gorilla has a fit as the referee counts Andre as he chokes John on the ropes rather than just calling for the bell.  Hacksaw Jim Duggan runs out to make the save and hits people with the toothpick.

Ice cream bar sighting!

Coming to you from Deepest, Darkest Africa...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2lXJv277QY

Big John Studd  vs. Akeem

I dig me some Akeem.  I always maintained that Slick turned OMG into a 'African' as a dig on whitey.  Big John always looked to me as though he should play Little John in a Robin Hood movie.  I can watch Akeem just stand there and I'm entertained so high hopes.  I got high hopes.  Hi apple pie in the sky hopes!  

This is a match you could write play-by-play as it happens because we are not worrying about workrate even a little.  Stupid statistic anyway.  Akeem bumps off a collar and elbow and a clothesline because he's the man.  Armdrag by Studd!

THIS IS AWESOME!  CLAPCLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP!

Akeem gets the advantage and drops the elbow. before trying to get Studd up for a slam but fails.  He maintains his advantage with double punches before dropping the leg.  He tries the slam again but John falls ontop for two.  Head smash in the corner so Akeem can keep running his head into the buckle after Studd stops.  Studd clotheslines Akeem out and both guys get counted out.  That's a bad miss.

Studd calls Akeem back in but Slick is telling him no.  Akeem goes against his manager's advice and gets slammed with ease!  Nice little match up. 

Turn out the lights, the parties ovahhhhhh.

It was all a plan! A plan I tells you! I knew if I went down the Warlord hole, I would get to the Barbarian some how! And if you get to The Barbarian, you might get to...

Meng vs. The Giant

If you ever watched a match and been, well if it 5 more minutes, it would be a classic? Man, forget that. This bitch is under five minutes and I want nothing more out of it. They GO TO WAR. Chop, leg kick, fuck you, side kick, punch you in the face, fuck you, head butt and Meng don't care! Boot! Finish has to be seen to be appreciated as Meng gets cut off going for the Tongan deathgrip but can't reach when Giant goes to the chokeslam! Giant looks happy to get out alive. Christ on a Nabisco brand cracker.

Ye Gods, that was glorious.

Over?  Did you say over?  Nothing is over until we say it is!  Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfXLdc7n9zk

Big Bossman & Akeem vs. Demolition WWF Tag Team Champions

Ronnie Garvin is in his referee phase.  I don't see Slick out there.  Katie bar the door!  Bossman sent out and The Demos smash away on Akeem.  They go to the arm of Akeem and he does the Charlestown!  Takes a bump off the Ax clothesline.  Trying to keep up with tags in a Demolition match is impossible.  Don't try it at home.  Bossman does a sick bending thing from his knees when he bounces all the way back so his head hits the mat and he comes all the way back up.  Lord Alfred and Tony think Bossman should be dead but he's flexible enough to pull that off.

Akeem saves Bossman from a double suplex and they make Smash face in peril.  Akeem stink faces him in the corner and hits some double punches.  Akeem straddles him in the corner.  He uses his weight so well.  Bossman uppercut and big headbutt keeps Smash under control.  Akeem with some jabs with some wasted motion to say the least.  Bossman spinebuster!  But they waste so much time Smash is able to grab a small package for two.  Akeem just laughs in the corner and it is so great but Bossman crotches himself coming across the ring.  Smash gets across but Akeem distracts Ronnie from the tag.  Smash gets a clothesline and tags out for house of fire!  Slam on Akeem because OH RIGHT, Ax is fat and not at all in shape.  Akeem somehow runs into Bossman with the nightstick and The Demoltion get the fall.  

Bee a Star!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBWyoB0UKK8

Masked Superstar w/ Adnan vs. Jim Brunzell w/ Greg Gagne

Jim is off like a shot.  Did Superstar piss in his Honey Combs?  Hey jumps all over Superstar but runs into a knee at 88 mphs.  Superstar clubbers a bit and grabs a chinlock.  Jim looks to pull the mask off to gets out but Star pulls him down by the trunks.  Jimmy gets loose and punches away but Superstar sends him outside the ring with a kick out.  Superstar takes advantage and drives Jim into the apron.  But Jim picks his ankle and runs his leg into the post.  Brunzell gets the figure four for about 2 seconds before Adnan breaks it up.  Greg runs in and the referee calls for a No Contest.  Spirited little thing.  Post match, Greg rightfully questions the decision but he and Brunzell ain't the best promos. 

Without rewatching any of this, I love how fiery Ax' comeback in that match was. The pop for the slam was huge and he basked in it. Berzerker is awesome. Make that my title on the board. I don't care to hide it. I hate that we didn't get Honky vs Valentine in 91 after Greg turned face. The match where he does is out there. It's from MSG and the crowd is so confused when he does. We got Quake vs Valentine instead, and it was built up on the Barber Shop or something which was sort of surreal. Meltzer shit hard on some of those Giant vs Shark matches which are actually really cool. Workrate dogmatism. It's a thing. I wish that Brunzell vs Superstar match was about twice the length. They had some weird Brunzell vs Adnan feud going on for PWUSA. 

Jeff Gaylord is the very last wrestler I would ever want to watch. Maybe blonde Dino Bravo beats him.

Andre the Giant vs. Masked Superstar

Sound on this is awful.  Like mute this thing it sounds like a crunchy film roll.  Andre is able to power Supestar back into a corner with his size because ... he's big.  I don't know guys, I don't know that I have much intelligent thought left tonight.  I think I hit the wall.  With my face.  Andre does a great strength spot standing up in a headlock with Superstar just hanging onto his head and suspending Eadie in the air.  Superstar just a nice bunch of bumps for the Giant as Andre holds court.  Test of strength?  I think this may end poorly for Superstar,  I'm right!  Still Nostradofus up ins!  They work the hold nicely before Star gets to the ropes to break.  Eadie laughingly goes for the slam off the bat and Andre blocks before pushing him in a corner and doing the butt ram.  Irish whip but the corner charge misses and Andre does a good job ramming his own head into the turnbuckle.  Superstar gets to clubbering and taking any short cut he can while he can.  He still gets too close and pays the price with a head butt but Andre misses the big splash.  Superstar grabs the front facelock ... the screen foes blank.  WELL THANKS.

Match seems a little off in only that Superstar does some dumb stuff and I always thought he was supposed to be a smarter guy even back then.  I cannot imagine what the thinking was with the test of strength and the body slam attempts.  Andre performed well here with the nice headlock spot and a brutal missed corner dive.

Ric Flair vs. Ricky Steamboat (Andre the Giant special referee)

CLIPPED TO SHIT AND BACK

Best referee ever.  Ric opens calling the chick in the audience he wants to bang and calls Steamboat female fans fat.  Ric is jacked to the gills.  When Ric tries to hit Steamer in the ropes, Andre hooks the arm and Steamboat strikes back.  Even RIc knows not to get in the referee's face here.  Nice rolling about leads to Ricky press slamming Ric.  Ric sort of begs at Andre and the big man just shoves him away.  Flair drived Ricky into a rage with just a tiny smeck on the face and the race is on!  Flair is laying in the mind games and adds a couple of structs for good measure.  Ricky strikes back however and chops the crap out of Flair before going in on the arm.

Clip clip.

Flair is now in control and dropping knees and punches as Ricky goes into wobble mode.  Ricky fires back but misses a big elbow drop.  Ric goes to the forehead and drops some knees before hooking up the delayed vertical suplex.  Flair is such a dick that he slaps Ricky around.  

Clip clip clip.

Fuck.  This isn't watchable this way.  Stuff seems interesting but how we got there is all messed up.  Fuck.  

I'm on a bad run here.  None of Warlord's matches were like this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UWLHcZ8vQ0

Sting and Steamboat vs. Bad Attitude (Eaton and Keirn)

I got no sound on this one?  Whatever, I'm tired.  Eaton and Keirn were together for what a month and weren't a bad combination although Steve had some of the worst hair ever.  Eaton was on his last legs as far as getting pushes were concerned but isn't a shell of himself or anything.  Kiern being the same guy as Skinner is still funny to me because it is late and I can't think anymore.  BAs take a while to get on pace but they have the advantage for about 30 seconds before Bobby drops an elbow off the top rope.  The veteran tag guys manage to keep the referee from seeing Ricky making a tag but Sting runs in anyway.  The faces hit a  stinger splash to set up the flying cross body to seal the deal.

Bad Attitude could have really been something a few years earlier I think.  But all things considered, they make a pretty decent JTTS tag team.

How the hell did this pop up?  The hell with it.  CLOSURE MUTHA FOOKER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czorkv6TAVM

Terry Taylor vs. Terra Ryzing

Terra Ryzing has some luscious hair bro and he seems to be doing a Lex Luger impression.  HHH shows some flashes of what he might become and has some things down at this point but he isn't there by a long shot.  Terry keeps him off balance with a pinning combination.  But Trips takes him down with a headlock and they work that a bit.  Terry slowly works out and into a hammerlock.  Terra works him into a corner and throws some bad knees before some nicer looking punches.  Its kind of funny to hear Bobby and Tony talk about Ryzing like he is 300 pounds of muscle.  Terra blocks a crusafix with a Samoan drop and hits a nice powerslam for 2.  The time limit count comes out so probably going to a draw.  BOOT TO THE MOUTH.  

Delayed vertical suplex and titty dance.  Ab stretch and Terry escapes.  Terry doesn't give himself a whole lot does he?  Terra hits a tilt-a-whirl backbreaker and back into the abdominal stretch.  2 minutes to go and gets to the ropes.  Sunset flip is blocked for 2 corss body reversal for two for Terra.  Head to head with 30 seconds to go.  Finishing stretch starts too late to make it effective.  Draw and I am shocked I say.  Shocked.

That's it.  I'm done.

Goodnight everybody.

• Like 1

I just spent 6 hours watching matches including Giant Warrior, Jeff Gaylord, Terra Ryzing and a promo featuring Rico Sauve.

Why am I still sitting here?

Oh my legs don't work.

Crap.

• Like 1

SO ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5MgDyTviP8

Maxx Payne vs. Vader

This was on the side bar of that Terry Taylor-Terra Ryzing match and I was all ready for a hoss fight.  Opening graphic has him as "Mean" Maxx Payne and I have never heard him referred to by that nickname before.  I think Maxx is pretty much a forgotten footnote but he made for a good partner for Cactus Jack against the Nasty Boys back in the day.

Vader pushes Maxx into a corner and batters Maxx into a fine powder with lefts and rights.  But Maxx is fired up and returnes the favor until Vader pulls off his mask in a bit of a Lawler strap slap and just punches Maxx back into a meat paste before smacking him with a short arm clothesline.  A regular clothesline late and Maxx is the world's biggest spot on the canvas.  But he fires back with big right hands before hooking up a suplex.  But Vader will not be denied and goes back to the clothesline again to regain the advantage.  A Vader barge keeps Payne down as Vader is doing a bit of manhandle.  Vader goes to the middle rope but gets powerslammed off before getting a big splash.  But his attempt to the middle rope is also a failure and Vader drops the Vaderbomb from the middle rope twice in succession.  Vader goes all the way up top for the SMOOSH and it is all over.  

Run in at the end and holy fudge would Rick Rude versus Vader have drawn my dime back in the day.

Not a bad midcarder showing by Maxx in that he got to have some moments in there even though Vader never looked really vulnerable.  The hope spots were not over blown and it made the match up look competitive without Vader going down too low on the totem pole.

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LveckAMFUM

Ricky Steamboat & Arn Anderson vs. Tanaka and Haito

Anderson and Steamboat teaming you say?  Going in I assumed this would be against Pat Tanaka and someone but I had no idea it would be what appears to be Paul Diamond under a hood again to reinact Bad Company/Orient Express II.  Color me interested.

Arn and Ricky come out a house of fire and send Pat into the air with a double backdrop.  Ricky goes inton one-on-one mode with Pat and corrals him with a chinlock before doing a bit of ring rope running culminating with a clothesline.  Pat begs off to pull The Dragon into his corner so the heels can double team.  It doesnt last long however before Arn gets in and stomp a mud puddle in Haito.  Arn is working aggressive hear and is keeping his usual stooging at a minimum.

Pat and Haito finally get the advantager on Ricky on the outside and Pat becomes your legal man.  Arn gets pulled into the ring a couple of times so the heels can double team but Ricky fires back.  The heels are really having to work to keep him away from Anderson.  But Pat hits his awesome flying forearm thing  to reestablish the advantage.  Pat (one of the most underrated guys ever) does this sweet backkick to Arn while Ricky is pushing him to the corner in a front facelock.  But when they go to repeat the spot, Arn catches the boot and just rushes the ring.  The heels get Arn in a little bit of trouble but he manages to force Haito out of the ring long enough so Ricky can come off the top with a flying bodypress on Pat for the pinfall. 

Tanaka and Haito just aren't as crisp at this point in their careers and don't have the execution they did in WWF as the Orient Express.  The finish was especially out of no where as Pat just sort of wandered into the flying bodypress for no reason at the end when it needed something to set it up.  Still kind of fun to see Ricky and Arn team up here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT0UB1xMSGw

Orient Express vs. The Mulkey Brothers

One for the ages!

Okay maybe it goes three minutes.  Highlights include Pat going over the top rope after the leapfrog rope thing that never had a name. Their is actual Mulkey offense too so Pat can obliterate the guy with the flying forearm.  Kato continues the murder spree with a gourd buster before finishing with the Super Kick/German Suplex combination.  That was one sweet finish that I don't think they ever beat anyone of note with!

No marathon tonight kids.  I have work in the morning.