DVDVR Message Board

[LLDSS] STAGE TWO - MISAWA/KOBASHI vs. EAST-WEST CONNECTION

RIPPA

LLDSS STAGE TWO - FIRST ROUND  

43 members have voted

1. 1. MISAWA/KOBASHI vs. EAST-WEST CONNECTION

• MITSAHARU MISAWA/KENTA KOBASHI
    • EAST-WEST CONNECTION (Adonis/Ventura)

It's an amazingly well put together and wrestled match with or without context, but it does help.

Context?  Context in JCP was one guy he was going to kick the other guy's ass and then Bob Caudle would tell you the location of the drug store or auto repair place where you could buy tickets for the event.

I don't think you really need that much set up to enjoy a good asswhoopin' unless there is some significant extracurricular going on like an injury angle two episodes prior that sets up the flash finish to the match you're watching.

Come on. Let's look at the very height of JCP: Tully/Magnum, I Quit. It's great on its own. It's better if you saw how much of an absolute dick Tully was in 84, from his TV title reign, to losing Baby Doll and having her with Dusty, to her coming in and screwing Magnum after she escaped on the horse, to all the promos leading up to it. It means so much more in context, no matter how good it is on its own. Hell, I think seeing Magnum's rise in 84 helps too down to the music videos of him riding a motorcycle. 

As i said yesterday, i think having every piece of the puzzle is now something people take for granted.

In the old days, if you missed a tv show or an issue of a comic, you were SOL. Unless maybe, it was rerun or you went to a 7-11 a couple miles away to find the issue you needed. You filled in the gaps the best you could.

Of course, mass entertainment wasnt as serializeed as it is now.

I think us old guys learned to deal with not having context for everything.

You can deal with this stuff, sure. Maybe you even get some sort of cognitive thrill out of having to connect some dots in your head. I think ultimately, you get far more out of things if you get to look at the big picture.  "Well, when I was a kid, we had to walk twenty miles through the snow and it put hair on our balls!" isn't necessarily going to win you this argument, I think, Mark. 

Come on. Let's look at the very height of JCP: Tully/Magnum, I Quit. It's great on its own. It's better if you saw how much of an absolute dick Tully was in 84, from his TV title reign, to losing Baby Doll and having her with Dusty, to her coming in and screwing Magnum after she escaped on the horse, to all the promos leading up to it. It means so much more in context, no matter how good it is on its own. Hell, I think seeing Magnum's rise in 84 helps too down to the music videos of him riding a motorcycle. 

You didn't need to know how much of a dick Tully was in 84 to appreciate the I Quit match in all of its glory.  Tully pretty much told you how much of a dick he was at the top of the hour of every episode of World Championship Wrestling and you'd be thirsting for his death after a ten minute interview. 

You could plug in at anytime and find context even if it was in the middle of a storyline.  I am an admitted stiffness and psychology mark, but you really don't need too much preface to dig the Misawa / Kobashi match.

I can dig wanting to see the broader picture but this is wrasslin.  I don't think that you need but so much backstory to appreciate Misawa knocking someone out of their boots with a spinning elbow..