DVDVR Message Board

Street Fighter 2: An Oral History

Tabe

The Nickelodeon one I'm reading now called Slimed! is the shit, but it doesn't tell you who people are, so you either know, kind of figure it out by context, or have to google a lot. Been a combination of all three for me.

That was my experience reading Tim Hornbaker's NWA book.  He insisted on using real names for guys much better known by their stage names and just doing everything he could to make it a harder read than necessary.

I'm a huge mark for oral histories. Awesome.

Same here. It makes for good nighttime reading.

The Nickelodeon one I'm reading now called Slimed! is the shit, but it doesn't tell you who people are, so you either know, kind of figure it out by context, or have to google a lot. Been a combination of all three for me.

I think it's one of the criticisms I made when I reviewed the book. The author didn't immediately note who most of these people are and probably assumes that every reader is a Nick superfan. The appendix at the end lists who everyone is so going back and forth was a bit tiring. Also, I got caught up in the hype such that I watched the Nick reunion show they did.

(The whole thing was on YouTube, but I can't find it.)

EDIT: Here it is!

I was listening to the audio version (almost 9 hours long), but my Nick knowledge isn't great.