DVDVR Message Board

MMA Live Event Discussion Thread, Winter 2024

Elsalvajeloco

I know they were high on Jauregui as potentially the next Alexa Grasso, but then she kinda got steamrolled by Denise Gomes who herself just lost to Angela Hill. She needs this win to prove that she just got caught and that loss was fluky.

Lots of back and forth scraps so far tonight. Judges having a tough night.

I made a joke about not knowing a bunch of these folks, but every fight I've recognized someone. I just can't keep up with these names.

First round of Barcelos/Quinonez had some fence grabs that felt like Barcelos was working rudo. The crowd was yelling everytime his fingers went through the cage.

Surprised to see Moreno real fade those last two rounds. Royval's output was insane and perhaps very inefficient, but I don't know if it was exactly overwhelming either. Moreno seemed to be reading it fine, he just never really turned it up, other than the round he was ending combos with the leg kick.

So much drama in the Ortega/Yair fight, particularly in the first. Ortega rolling his ankle in the intro and panicking. Getting rocked. And then by the end of the first he realized, "Oh even if I'm loopy, Yair Rodriguez has nothing for me on the ground."

What a weird 6 years for Brian Ortega.

2018 - Fights Max for the Title, gets housed and loses his 0. Spends next two years injured.

2020 - Comes back and beats Korean Zombie to get another shot.

2021 - Loses to Volk in a barn burner

2022 - Fucks his shoulder against Yair, setting Yair up for an eventual run at the title.

2024 - Comes back and beats Yair, and maybe set himself up for a third shot at the title.

He's either injured or about to fight for the title. Kinda like Conor McGreggor without the money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

Surprised to see Moreno real fade those last two rounds. Royval's output was insane and perhaps very inefficient, but I don't know if it was exactly overwhelming either. Moreno seemed to be reading it fine, he just never really turned it up, other than the round he was ending combos with the leg kick.

So much drama in the Ortega/Yair fight, particularly in the first. Ortega rolling his ankle in the intro and panicking. Getting rocked. And then by the end of the first he realized, "Oh even if I'm loopy, Yair Rodriguez has nothing for me on the ground."

What a weird 6 years for Brian Ortega.

2018 - Fights Max for the Title, gets housed and loses his 0. Spends next two years injured.

2020 - Comes back and beats Korean Zombie to get another shot.

2021 - Loses to Volk in a barn burner

2022 - Fucks his shoulder against Yair, setting Yair up for an eventual run at the title.

2024 - Comes back and beats Yair, and maybe set himself up for a third shot at the title.

He's either injured or about to fight for the title. Kinda like Conor McGreggor without the money.

2018: Brian Ortega the first to ever finish Frankie Edgar.

2021: Came close to beating Alexander Volkanovski, that was a tight guillotine choke.

Brian Ortega is tough, his two TKO losses were doctor's stoppages only. Like to see if Ilia Topuria can be the first to put Ortega out by KO/TKO.

UFC Fight Night

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 96: Rozenstruik vs. Gaziev 
March 2, 2024
Las Vegas, NV (UFC Apex)

Jairzinho Rozenstruik (257) vs. Shamil Gaziev (261) - Rozenstruik, TKO (corner retirement), R4 (5:00)
Vitor Petrino (205.5) vs. Tyson Pedro (205.5) - Petrino, DEC (unanimous)
Alex Perez (125.5) vs. Muhammad Mokaev (126) - Mokaev, DEC (unanimous)
Umar Nurmagomedov (136) vs. Bekzat Almakhan (136) - Nurmagomedov, DEC (unanimous)
Matt Schnell (126) vs. Steve Erceg (126) - Erceg, KO (punch), R2 (0:26)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Eryk Anders (185.5) vs. Jamie Pickett (186) - Anders, DEC (unanimous)
Vinicius Oliveira (135.5) vs. Benardo Sopaj (135.5) - Oliveira, KO (flying knee), R3 (4:41)
Javid Basharat (136) vs. Aiemann Zahabi (135.5) - Zahabi, DEC (unanimous)
Christian Leroy Duncan (186) vs. Claudio Ribeiro (185.5) - Duncan, TKO (elbows and punches), R2 (1:57)
Ľudovít Klein (156) vs. AJ Cunningham (155.5) - Klein, TKO (strikes), R1 (4:36)
Loik Radzhabov (155.5) vs. Abdul-Kareem Al-Selwady (156) - Radzhabov, KO (punches), R3 (0:49)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Vinicius Oliveira
Performance of the Night: Steve Erceg
Fight of the Night: Vinicius Oliveira vs. Benardo Sopaj

If anyone is sleeping on this card(and why wouldn't you) definitely look for Oliveira/Sopaj - specifically Round 2.

No joke. I don't know if there's really a difference between knock outs physiologically. Bad is bad, right? But that KO made me feel uncomfortable in a way few have.

Goddamn that was a pretty great performance from Rozenstruik. He was really feeling himself in the fourth.

And kudos to Godard for getting in that corner's face and telling him to "do the right thing."