DVDVR Message Board

THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: Tears of the Kingdom Megathread (Please use spoilers when necessary)

Here it is!

Where is everyone at? I've only had a couple hours to play so far and am still in the games version of the Great Plateau from BotW (that's not a spoiler, I don't think). 

Has anyone crafted something particularly stupid in the best of ways yet? 

I just got out of the Plateau area, and man, this game will kick your ass.  But it's not unfair; you just know you're wimpy at the moment and when you come back some time later with better gear, you're going to wreck some stuff.  But the fights feel like they have slightly different timings from BotW.

Spoiler

The third shrine was a bit of a weird one, because there was no path up.  I just chopped down a pile of trees and built myself a goddamn ladder, which I'm guessing is how they mean you to solve that.  Some of the monsters in this game are CRAZY.  And plus with Mummy Boy and your lopped-off Anakin Skywalker arm, it's already about as creepy and gross as any Zelda game has been.  But I'm interested to see what direction this is going to take.

I can say, though, that I don't care for the "just jump and it's fine" nonsense.  It's probably my one big gripe thus far.  But, if you're full on weapons and get a weapon out of a chest, you can actually drop something finally!  So they added that.

Otherwise...this shit's just BONKERS.  I think a lot of people are going to bounce right off it because it requires so much out-of-the-box thinking, but I appreciate the challenge.

• Like 1

I'm trying to figure out if I can get something to fly while still on the Plateau or not. I was tinkering around, but I'm not sure I can. Probably you can, but I'm not creative enough to get there.  

Not much of a spoiler to talk about specific weapons, especially in this context, but...one of the wooden ones you can find is, and I shit you not, called "Thick Stick".

Link can't take the Thick Stick.  Not in my house.

And then later I found a Sturdy Thick Stick.  Who was writing this?

Plus, I didn't believe it was possible to yearn for

Spoiler

the paraglider

but then I had to trudge through the first couple of quests.

Edited by Contentious C

Yeah, this game is way harder than BotW, but it probably needed to be.  Breath was quite possibly the easiest Zelda game ever, and by a wide margin.

Mostly it seems like it will be an issue of resource management, and I'm cool with that.   But I've never been so happy to see an apple grove as I just was.  Plus, instead of jumping around and climbing the trees, or feeling bad about cutting them down, I just

Spoiler

whipped out Ultrahand and picked them from a distance, then collected all the stuff I dropped to the ground.

Hooray, high technology!  I'm just far enough along to really see how much this is a re-skinning of the same base game, down to the quest setups, but it's still somewhat impressive to wring so much out of the same formula without being stale.

The Korok seeds still kinda suck, though.

It feels the same to me so far in terms of difficulty. You so many tools at your disposal that you can pretty much always plan your way into or work your way out of a combat situation.

I haven't made it far enough to know if the Divine powers make a comeback - I would be shocked if they do, but Revali's Gale is sorely missed, if only because of trying to chase down Star Fragments and not being able to cover enough ground to do it (particularly across water).

I also got a hearty laugh out of the one thing I wanted to do the most in this game when the trailers started dropping: dive off the sky temple and...just keep diving until you SPLAT. "I'm a bullet! I'm a bullet! I'm a Hylian bullet who's gonna pierce the ear--" eh, you're a puddle, Link.

Edited by Contentious C

My understanding is you can’t die when diving into water. Now, if you miss the water or aren’t diving …

an important question people may be wondering about

Spoiler

You apparently can’t pet the dogs.

I think I may have found one of my favorite little stupid things to do already.

Spoiler

The Hateno shrine, like all of them, has a bonus chest.  But it's a really small shrine, so where the Hell is it?

Well, it's buried in a goddamn ball pit.

How do you find it, no Magnesis?  Well, you could Ultrahand the balls out one at a time, but that's dumb.  Instead, you can spam Grab/Attach, which I'm from now on calling "Grab/Ass" because why the Hell not, and just make a giant molecule of the shrine balls until you pick up enough that the chest can be spotted on its own.  No moving, no targeting, no nothing: you just spam it and then Ultrahand will make the next nearest connection it hasn't made yet.  Ultra-handy!

Edited by Contentious C

The fuck was with

Spoiler

the really fast hands and red sky?

That came out of nowhere. They're putting random jump scares into Zelda games now?

I played through 5 hours tonight and made the jump down to Hyrule. I stopped when I met Purrah. I’m not sure if I missed anything on Great Sky Island or not. It basically felt like a really, really long tutorial mode, like the one in the Witcher 3 before they really set you loose. I’m hoping that’s the case and I’m not just breezing through the game.

I'm only up to about 20 shrines so far and just 3 map unlocks.  Some of the puzzles can be real stumpers, but they're good - at once a bit more frustrating than BotW stuff and somehow more rewarding once you solve them.  Oh, and half the familiar places I've been to so far have some fucking drama going on that prevents you from doing the usual bullshit that lets you advance the way you expect to, so...no, your progress is probably about right.  I have no clue yet what to do about two of the things that would really let me push forward, namely by getting gear that isn't *straight garbage*, because weapons?  Hey, sure, I've got Fuse.  But defense?  Not so much.  I've been zipping back to the island for farming when I get annoyed with something or a blood moon appears.

For all the people complaining about non-traditional Zelda dungeons, too, the

Spoiler

chasms

are very much what you're looking for.  They are not going to be easy to entirely complete.

Edited by Contentious C

This is maybe one of the best games I’ve ever played with a couple drawbacks. The first is, the Switch is just too underpowered. I’ve had so many frame rate drops, especially when using the hand thing and moving stuff around. And the other complaint I have is the same as I had for BotW where the controls are so backwards compared to just about every other game out there.

Other than that, it’s amazing. It does almost make me want to try emulating it to play it at a higher resolution.

Some of this stuff is just fun as Hell.  I've really only gone to mostly stable shrines but even the puzzles there are so much more inventive than they were in BotW.  And you can absolutely abuse the shit out of Recall in a lot of fun ways.

Also, can we talk about the Miyazaki Nightmare-Fuel Motherfuckers?  Jebus cripes, I really don't like going in caves!  The art style of this game just makes it that much worse.  There aren't enough bright lights or arrows in the world to make them less creepy.  Really need to get some better gear.

Did a second area in the sky with a shrine and that was badass.  Took the quick trip from there to South Akkala.  Eldin region looks like it will be a fun time, too.

I'm really interested to see what the Satori stuff is going to end up yielding, and at least Kilton promises to be less pointless and boring this time around.

Just did my first major boss fight.  WAAAAAAY more epic than the Blight forms.  Hopefully the others (however many there are; it's a bit unclear from the story which mentions different numbers for different things) live up to the same standard.

It also gives you a lot more options in terms of how to do the fight.  One strat I hadn't considered was

Spoiler

time bombs, but I'm not sure you can set them up and release them mid-air.  So maybe it wouldn't work.  I still find it cheesy that the game does the "free stamina while using the bow" thing, but whatever.

The writing is pretty good, though, and for once it felt like the kind of grind you might expect from the buildup to a Zelda boss fight.  The little preamble-to-the-Divine-Beast nonsense from BotW was usually some of the weakest stuff in the game; not so with this, you have to do at least a little plotting and prep work to make sure you have enough resources, and it isn't just "spam this thing and hit 4 targets".

The reward is actually pretty neat, even if so much of what they did here feels like repurposing the old tech.

Edited by Contentious C

The Zora Domain plot beats are...not good. You sort of have to see it yourself to truly appreciate how dunderheaded the writing is in that section.

On the other hand, one of the puzzles is fun as Hell to figure out for yourself.

Edited by Contentious C