DVDVR Message Board

MMA Live Event Discussion Thread, Spring 2023

Elsalvajeloco

At some point during his long eighteen month layoff, Rick Glenn added a y to his name to become Ricky Glenn. Is this the MMA version of a pro wrestling repackage or was he Ricky Glenn before this?

FuVlev-aQAA53EN?format=jpg&name=small

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

At some point during his long eighteen month layoff, Rick Glenn added a y to his name to become Ricky Glenn. Is this the MMA version of a pro wrestling repackage or was he Ricky Glenn before this?

Doing only 3 minutes of googling and it looks like he's done both. He was Ricky in 2021. 

This seems like a massive branding issue. Could turn it around with some Why Rick Y? Shirts.

• Haha 1

The Good News: Heavy Usman can wrestle, which might save him in the division where there aren't a ton of great wrestlers.

The Bad News:: He's very very very punchable. Which might be the worst trait to have in a division where it often just takes one.

14 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

The Good News: Heavy Usman can wrestle, which might save him in the division where there aren't a ton of great wrestlers.

The Bad News:: He's very very very punchable. Which might be the worst trait to have in a division where it often just takes one.

The Usmans are basically the Nigerian counterparts of the Rosholts cause IIRC Jared Rosholt unfortunately had the same issue and traits. Jake ultimately never did evolve into what Kamaru did, but he started as touted as Kamaru did to start his career. 

54 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Giagos knocked the y off of Glenn's name. He's now just plain old Rick again.

I love it when fighters get KO'd and they pop up with the same disposition as a drunk friend trying to convince their friends they can drive.

REF: Give me the keys Ricky!
Rick-y: I'm just buzzed man. I've driven home waaaay worse than this. Waaaay worse.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Paul Felder is the dad of a little leaguer everytime his teammates fight, and it's hilarious.

Best part was someone told him to calm the fuck down over the headset, and he responded to them on air. I'm calm!

• Haha 2

Pavlovich fought with the attitude of not giving a damn if Blaydes wanted to take him down. He wanted Blaydes to get close to him. Also, Sergei was damn close to hitting the same uppercut on Blaydes that Lewis did when Blaydes shot in. I dunno if Curtis wants to continue to do that without protecting himself. People can definitely time that.

FuEiNGNXwAAmNRA.jpg?1681914834

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 81: Song vs. Simón 
April 29, 2023
Las Vegas, NV (UFC Apex)

Song Yadong (136) vs. Ricky Simón (136) - Yadong, TKO (strikes), R5 (1:10)
Caio Borralho (185.5) vs. Michał Oleksiejczuk (185.5) - Borralho, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (2:49)
Rodolfo Vieira (186) vs. Cody Brundage (185.5) - Vieira, SUB (arm triangle choke), R2 (1:28)
Julian Erosa (145.5) vs. Fernando Padilla (145.5) - Padilla, TKO (punches), R1 (1:41)
Marcos Rogério de Lima (262.5) vs. Waldo Cortes-Acosta (258) - Lima, DEC (unanimous)
Joshua Quinlan (169) vs. Trey Waters (171) - Waters, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN2 / ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Martin Buday (265) vs. Jake Collier (265.5) - Buday, DEC (unanimous)
Cody Durden (126) vs. Charles Johnson (125.5) - Durden, DEC (unanimous)
Stephanie Egger (135) vs. Irina Alekseeva (140)** - Alekseeva, SUB (kneebar), R1 (2:11)
Journey Newson (138.5) vs. Marcus McGhee (140) - McGhee, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (2:03)
Hailey Cowan (137.5)* vs. Jamey-Lyn Horth (135.5) - Horth, DEC (unanimous)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight 
**Forfeits 30% of purse for missing weight 

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Marcus McGhee
Performance of the Night: Rodolfo Vieira
Performance of the Night: Caio Borralho
Performance of the Night: Song Yadong

43 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

That might have been a tad bit quick.

Dominic Cruz yelling "He's out!" on commentary, and then immediately calling out the referee for an early stoppage mere seconds later, that's funny.

• Like 2

That was a very impressive performance by Song Yadong against a tough out in Ricky Simon. Still has some obvious imperfections and room for improvement, but he can be a top guy at bantamweight.

Screenshot.png?1681823098

UFC 288: Sterling vs. Cejudo 
May 6, 2023
Newark, NJ (Prudential Center)

UFC Bantamweight Championship: Aljamain Sterling © (134) vs. Henry Cejudo (135) (third defense) - Sterling, DEC (split)
Belal Muhammad (170) vs. Gilbert Burns (171) - Muhammad, DEC (unanimous)
Jéssica Andrade (115) vs. Xiaonan Yan (115) - Yan, TKO (punches), R1 (2:20)
Movsar Evloev (145) vs. Diego Lopes (146) - Evloev, DEC (unanimous)
Kron Gracie (145) vs. Charles Jourdain (145) - Jourdain, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN / ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Drew Dober (155.5) vs. Matt Frevola (155) - Frevola, TKO (punches), R1 (4:08)
Kennedy Nzechukwu (205) vs. Devin Clark (205) - Nzechukwu, SUB (guillotine choke), R2 (2:28)
Kalinn Williams (169) vs. Rolando Bedoya (170) - Williams, DEC (split)
Marina Rodriguez (115) vs. Virna Jandiroba (115) - Jandiroba, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN+ / Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Braxton Smith (262) vs. Parker Porter (249) - Porter, TKO (punches), R1 (2:10)
Phil Hawes (185) vs. Ikram Aliskerov (186) - Aliskerov, KO (punch), R1 (2:10)
Joseph Holmes (189) vs. Claudio Ribeiro (185) - Ribeiro, TKO (punches), R2 (3:21)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight 

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Matt Frevola
Performance of the Night: Xiaonan Yan
Fight of the Night: Movsar Evloev vs. Diego Lopes

Attendance: 17,559
Gate$5.18 million
Buyrate:

Some come out of MMA retirements before their final one through Father Time. Others stick to it. Always felt Khabib Nurmagomedov would stay retired when he went 29-0 beating Justin Gaethje and Henry Cejudo would come back. Be interesting to see how he looks after three years away vs. Aljamain Sterling, the UFC Bantamweight Champion. Fancy Cedujo TKO R4.

Edited by The Natural

Poor Roberto Soldic lost his powers in KSW. Meanwhile, Dricus du Plessis is out here living his best life as a fringe level UFC title contender and about to probably get a title shot simply on the basis of being a white South African who doesn't like that the current black UFC champion appears to be claiming the entire continent of Africa. Life comes at you fast.

I kinda want to see Cejudo win because I'm intrigued by his proposed road to Volk.  

I'd rather Belal win because he's been unfairly overlooked. But I love Gilbert. No real loss as a fight fan either way because the loser is most likely fighting the loser of Colby/Leon, and mix and match it how you like there's no bad fights there.

• Like 1