DVDVR Message Board

UFC 282: Błachowicz vs. Ankalaev (12/10/2022) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

FiwPOyOXwAA92i--1.jpg?1669752982

UFC 282: Błachowicz vs. Ankalaev 
December 10, 2022
Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

UFC Light Heavyweight Championship: Jan Błachowicz (204.5) vs. Magomed Ankalaev (205) (vacant) - DRAW (split)
Paddy Pimblett (156) vs. Jared Gooden (155.5) - Pimblett, DEC (unanimous)
Alex Morono (179.5) vs. Santiago Ponzinibbio (179.5) - Ponzinibbio, TKO (strikes), R3 (2:29)
Darren Till (184.5) vs. Dricus du Plessis (185) - Du Plessis, SUB (rear naked choke), R3 (2:43)     
Bryce Mitchell (146) vs. Ilia Topuria (146) - Topuria, SUB (arm triangle choke), R2 (3:10)

ESPN2 / ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Raul Rosas Jr. (136) vs. Jay Perrin (136) - Rosas Jr., SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (2:44)
Jairzinho Rozenstruik (261.5) vs. Chris Daukaus (242.5) - Rozenstruik, KO (punch), R1 (0:23)
Edmen Shahbazyan (185.5) vs. Dalcha Lungiambula (185.5) - Shahbazyan, TKO (punches), R2 (4:41)   
Chris Curtis (186) vs. Joaquin Buckley (185.5) - Curtis, KO (punches), R2 (2:49)

ESPN+ / Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Billy Quarantillo (146) vs. Alexander Hernandez (145.5) - Quarantillo, TKO (strikes), R2 (4:30)
T.J. Brown (145.5) vs. Erik Silva (146) - Brown, SUB (arm triangle choke), R3 (3:41)
Cameron Saaiman (135) vs. Steven Koslow (136) - Saaiman, TKO (strikes), R3 (4:13)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Cameron Saaiman
Performance of the Night: T.J. Brown
Performance of the Night: Billy Quarantillo
Performance of the Night: Chris Curtis
Performance of the Night: Edmen Shahbazyan
Performance of the Night: Jairzinho Rozenstruik
Performance of the Night: Raul Rosas Jr.
Performance of the Night: Ilia Topuria
Performance of the Night: Santiago Ponzinibbio
Fight of the Night: Darren Till vs. Dricus du Plessis

Attendance: 18,455
Gate: $4.4 million

18 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Man this show really took a hit losing Jiri/Glover in the rematch of the 2022 Fight of the Year. Robbie Lawler gone as well. Weak final show for the end of year.

At this point in Lawler's career, Morono is a lateral move as a replacement at worst. Lawler hasn't won back to back fights in seven years. Hell, Morono is more a contender than Lawler is.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i was sure Billy Q was done after rd1. guess not! damn fine win.

I was wondering if Hernandez maybe depleted himself coming down to 145 and that may be the case. He may still have success at that weight though. He looked damn strong and fought a really well on the feet and on the ground.... it just slipped away.

• Like 1

Glad to see Shahbazyan has his career back on track. Faced a little adversity, but came right through.

And oh, I believe (Chris) Daukaus said he wasn't going to brawl with Rozenstruik. Well, sometimes, you just don't have a choice.

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

And oh, I believe (Chris) Daukaus said he wasn't going to brawl with Rozenstruik. Well, sometimes, you just don't have a choice.

Reminded me of when Ngannou  rushed Rozenstruik in their fight- game plans are nullified when the other guy knows he just needs to land once.

i mentioned to my friend that this card had a lot of potential mismatches and reminded me of a Strikeforce card. 2 fights into the main card, i stand by that statement. what we've seen tonight hasn't been to that level, but with every fight so far going to a finish (is that a record?), i don't think we're too far off. not a single fight that hasn't been fun. TJ Brown vs Erik Silva wasn't great but more "below average". 

@The Natural i know you had a lot happening this weekend, but this is a card worth watching.

P.S. sorry in advance if i just jinxed the rest of tonight's card.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, twiztor said:

I feel like no matter what the Paddy fight will be entertaining. He seems like a guy who will either lose spectacularly or win dramatically. But the whole night has been pretty fun.

17 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i mentioned to my friend that this card had a lot of potential mismatches and reminded me of a Strikeforce card. 2 fights into the main card, i stand by that statement. what we've seen tonight hasn't been to that level, but with every fight so far going to a finish (is that a record?), i don't think we're too far off. not a single fight that hasn't been fun. TJ Brown vs Erik Silva wasn't great but more "below average". 

@The Natural i know you had a lot happening this weekend, but this is a card worth watching.

I wouldn't say potential mismatches as much as stylistically favorable for finishes. I mean yeah a guy like Rozenstruik is either going to be in a pedestrian fight or a blowout. Very little in between.

12 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I wouldn't say potential mismatches as much as stylistically favorable for finishes.

7 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

See what I mean?

i don't disagree now, nor would i have earlier. and that probably is more accurate than i worded it. (still doesn't dissuade my Strikeforce comparison). a fun card trumps all. and this fits that bill.

also, MJF with the Triple B! (sorry, but the AEW thread is closed)

• Like 1

I thought Gordon won. I thought it was kind of obvious honestly.

Production really over-utilized the four Paddy Fans with the wigs going crazy like they were paid audience members at America's Got Talent.

• Like 1

I had Paddy winning R1, but I gave R2 and R3 to Flash.  Once Gordon worked out the nerves and settled down, he was on point.  Gordon's counter left was so well timed..   

I could've seen the judges giving the fight to Paddy simply because he appeared to be the busier fighter, but busy does not always mean accuracy or aggression.  A lot of Paddy's kicks were thrown to create space and keep Flash from annihilating Paddy's chin with that check left.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

..... did we just set up a three way dance with Glover?

Either that or UFC is trying to redo the WWF title scenario in late 1998 (or late 1991 for that matter) have the title vacant for the better part of two months. This is going to end up with someone turning heel. 

Also, Buffer kinda gave away the result without giving away the result. I think he knew he was about to read off some bullshit.