DVDVR Message Board

Venture Bros Thread of Greatness (and everything else AS)

Brock Samson

It's also available On Demand.  Yeah. it was pretty great.  They crammed in damn near every living character from the Venture-verse.  It really does seem like it's about time for the show to end, though.  They've wrapped (or could have wrapped up) most of the long-running plots and there doesn't seem to be a lot of ground left that they need to cover.  Between that, and the insanely long delays between seasons, it's probably time to plan an exit.

Speaking of, does anyone know when season 6 will actually start?  During season 5, they said season 6 would run in 2014 or early 2015, but I thought that was awfully optimistic back then, given the recent track record.  Airing the special makes me think we won't see the rest of season 6 for quite a while yet.

That special was fantastic. Was starting to wonder if I was the only one who caught as no one said anything.

As far as season 6 goes there should be an epilogue on the site that has a season 6 advertisement at the end.

Did anyone other than me feel like the Special gave us too much payoff and awesomeness? It was still very much 'about failure', but for a show that had previously gone out of its way to make as many long-burning stories as possible fizzle and once flushed basically every dangler mystery, plus a couple more that they introduced for the sole purpose of squashing, in two minutes for a laugh (the Revenge Society ep) seeing how JJ's story resolved, the stuff with Billy's mom being hardcore, and even the callback to the Ray Shield debacle play out in ways that feel...too conventionally satisfying.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Watching the Venture Brothers trailer, my feeling is that the world has sort of passed them by. I'm not entirely sure how much credit they should get for the shows that followed, but it does feel a lot less unique than it once did. Granted, I don't watch any of those shows, so I could be way off. I just get the sense that almost everything now seems to take Venture Brothers and Adventure Time, mixes them in a blender, and falls somewhere in the middle.

I also get the sense that somewhere after Season 3, they sort of gave up on the world building and character building that they were doing to go back to more standalone gag-based storytelling. I don't think the show ever lived up to its promise, maybe because it was just too much of a burden on the creators.

I'm still looking forward to it but I've got a pretty good sense of its ceiling now as opposed to the expectations I had a few years ago whenever a new season was about to start.

I kinda agree with the "passed them by" line of thought, but, for me personally, the show peaked season two or three.  I was less interested in VB when they de-emphasized the kids and seemed to move on from being a wacky Johnny Quest spoof.  Especially disliked them splitting up Brock from the three Ventures.

I still enjoy the show but, yeah, the expectations are lower.  The absurdly long gaps between seasons hurts too. 

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I enjoyed that far more than I expected to.  Lotta fun.

I was pleasantly surprised that

they're going back to the early season dynamic of Brock acting as the Venture's bodyguard. Show was never the same for me when they split Brock off from the other three.

The giraffe, the elevator standoff, historically-accurate Amazons, Brock's fashion critique, homicidal Helper, and The Tragic Tale Of Night Dick all got legit LOLs from me. I fucking love this show, and I'm ecstatic that it's as sharp as ever.

• Like 1

In terms of story, I feel like the show sort of peaked around season 4.  The show is still good for laughs and deconstructing all the superhero and geek pop culture stuff.  But I'm not sure how long they can creatively keep this going.  

I feel like Hank and Dean are still sort of stuck in development limbo.  Like at one point they made it seem like Hank could become Brock Jr. and was going to be an up and coming OSI badass.  Dean seemed like he wanted to be like an actual roving reporter.  They aren't really doing anything with that now.

Dean has been listless sincethey wrote Treanna out. Hank has been stagnant for what seems like an eternity. At least the last episode showed that Dean has vision and will probably end running the company in the long run

James

Dean has been listless sincethey wrote Treanna out. Hank has been stagnant for what seems like an eternity. At least the last episode showed that Dean has vision and will probably end running the company in the long run

James

I kind of agree with that that.  However, they spent a whole season on the fact that Dean didn't really want to follow in Rusty's footsteps despite the fact that Rusty was basically grooming Dean to be the next super scientist in the family.  What Dean really wanted was to be an investigative reporter. Now it seems like maybe Dean will be the heir of the Venture family line.  OK, pick a direction and stick with it.

But yeah it's been a lot of stagnancy for both Hank and Dean as of late.  

But in all fairness, they've been stagnant because the focus was shifted away from them to focus more on secondary characters and focus more the OSI/Guild relationship. It is a little frustrating because just when it looked like Hank was going to stop being a dumbass and have a direction in his life that plot got dropped and now he's being douche rich kid

James

I think they reached a point with Hank and Dean, that they don't know what to do with them. 

They have developed a lot, but at this point if they go further they will not be the same characters. I also think they swerved left on stuff like Triana just to swerve and had no back up plan. 

I think it also still just being two guys is getting to them. They need to delegate. 

But again, this weeks was really good but on some things they need to shit or get off the pot.