DVDVR Message Board

The DVDVR 1980s Lucha 100

goodhelmet

http://z11.invisionfree.com/wrestling_ko/index.php?showtopic=2331

This is kind of helpful but there's not a ton there and a lot of the info is post AAA split. So basically, there's just really nothing out there? That's what you're saying? There's no version of kayfabememories in Spanish. Even with the advent of the internet there's been no nostalgia kick? 80s Lucha is just a strange black hole?

If I want to put let's say Atlantis y Lizmark vs. El Egipcio y El Faraón (2/17/84) into context and figure out why the match happened and what the build was like, my only option is to bug you Phil and Kris until you repeatedly tell me that no, we don't know anything after all. Again and again and again.

This is the price of having a lot of new eyes see this and appreciate it. You have to put up with people like me who just had the option of watching a ton of AWA TV and promos in between matches on the set and to be able to look at what drew and what didn't and supplement with apter mag articles and shoots and what not. I feel like I know more about the AWA now than I do about some of the stuff I grew up with when I didn't know anything about it at all coming in. I know you guys have probably been dealing with this frustration for years (or longer) when you were trying to pursue your love of lucha but there's a lot of us that this is pretty much new for and part of why you've done this was to get it in front of our eyes and increase general knowledge and appreciation of it.

So that's where I am here with this.

p,s, Also, apparently you people have been slacking with your article writing over the years?

http://z11.invisionf...?showtopic=2331

This is kind of helpful but there's not a ton there and a lot of the info is post AAA split. So basically, there's just really nothing out there? That's what you're saying? There's no version of kayfabememories in Spanish. Even with the advent of the internet there's been no nostalgia kick? 80s Lucha is just a strange black hole?

Are you asking about the specific matches on the set though and not Spanish sites with historical info? I could post about Spanish lucha sites, but then you'd have to look thru them to see if they have the particular info that you are looking for specifically. 

My guess is you'd have to ask the guys who worked on the set, Kris, Will and Phil about the matches on the set.

p,s, Also, apparently you people have been slacking with your article writing over the years?

I don't think any of them write articles. Phil might have in the past. Kris does a lucha report, but I don't know if that's considered an article. No idea if anyone else who is part of the project writes articles.

If there are Spanish-language sites that might have useful or interesting qualitative information about the 80s, please post away. I think enough of us have some level of Spanish in our backgrounds that between what we can pull together from that and translate.google it might be worth it looking into? 

There's two that i frequent that usually provide info. DJ Spectro's Lucha Libre de Ayer, de Hoy y Siempre (Lucha Libre of the past, the present & forever) on facebook. I don't know if his blog is still around, but he moved onto facebook.

There's Cronicas y Leyendas which post a lot of historical stuff.  There's some other sites, but they usually focus more on current wrestling & will occasionally post something historical if someone passed away or its some anniversary. I think cubs has links to sites running across his site's sidebar. I have a link section on my site as well.

I haven't seen too much lucha and I've never seen 80s lucha so I want in on this set when it is available. I really want to pick up the AWA set too for the podcasts a bunch of you put together, anybody who has a good grasp on lucha planning to do podcasts for this set?

OK, bad news... one of my duplicators just crapped out which cuts the amount of discs I am able to burn in half. What I thought would take me another week to finish off might take me two. I have already burned a shitload of sets so if you bought early, you should get it sooner. 

On the flipside, I am looking to replace the burner but it could take as long as a week to arrive.