DVDVR Message Board

RIP Allen Lanier (Blue Oyster Cult)

Curt McGirt

From my apparent musical tastes you might not think I'd like the following songs but BOC is my favorite band and Allen Lanier was a great songwriter. He passed away yesterday of COPD. I had the luck to see him when I was teenager when they played the state fair, before he quit/retired. One hell of a keyboardist and the three-guitar BOC will eternally rule with him on the six string.

Blue Oyster Cult through the years have had some of the best lyricists in rock music working in/with the band (Dharma, Bouchard, Meltzer, Smith, Moorcock, Shirley, Carroll, etc.) and Lanier was no slouch in that department.  I make no mystery of my BOC fandom (when pressed to list, I think that three of their albums safely fall within my top 10 of all time) and my condolences go to the band and to his family.  Some great music as part of his legacy.

That sucks.

BOC headlined the first concert I ever went to back when I was like 15 years old and have loved them ever since.  Saw them again at a county fair a few years back and they were just as awesome as I remembered.

Well, fuck...

BOC were my band in the Seventies: they were funny and weird and cryptic and rocked like maniacs.  I was lucky enough to see 'em four times in a thirteen month period, post-REAPER, with their full laser show.  As much as I loved Buck Dharma (still one of my all-time guitar heroes) and Joe Bouchard (a major influence on my own feeble attempts to be a bass player), I dug Lanier because he a geeky-looking guy who still managed to be cooler than hell onstage.

Can't believe I missed this til today.  I saw them on the "Heaven Forbid" tour; it's kind of amazing that after years of not releasing new material they put out two more super awesome albums in the 90s.  (Less surprising is that "Curse of the Hidden Mirror" was a commercial flop).  They were my gateway into pre-80s metal and will always be one of my favorites.  And "Cult Classic" is maybe the only 're record all our hits we don't get royalties on anymore' album I've ever heard that didn't make me cringe.