DVDVR Message Board

Banging the head that does not bang

Curt McGirt

Posted (edited)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feYQ_7ZoysY

New Slimelord record out on 20 Buck Spin. I think the label name* will tell you whether you'll like it or not, at this point. Personally I like it better than the Tomb Mold that everybody had to have a change of paunts over.

* As in prior albums released, they don't sound like Pentagram

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIT. THAT IS INSANE. 

I got a buddy going to Hell's Heroes this year on Saturday. The lineup on the lawn is so good, only Forbidden is a pass. Then they got Dawnbringer (a close personal favorite) and the only nowadays Xtian metal band that matters, Wytch Hazel, inside. SO LUCKY.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2024 at 12:12 PM, Curt McGirt said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feYQ_7ZoysY

New Slimelord record out on 20 Buck Spin. I think the label name* will tell you whether you'll like it or not, at this point. Personally I like it better than the Tomb Mold that everybody had to have a change of paunts over.

* As in prior albums released, they don't sound like Pentagram

Read a review of this the other day and am pumped to give it a proper listen. 

• Like 1

A bud of mine that played bass with me in an old band didn't care for it. He says the 20 Buck bands are starting to get the same production style and similar visual setup like labels such as Century Media or Nuclear Blast used to have. As far as the death metal goes, I pretty much agree. 

I haven't been able to pay much attention to that for a while so it's kind of disappointing to hear. For a while 20 Buck Spin was on a high streak. I still really love the first Liturgy full length they released. Also one of my favorite shows at the Scion Rock Fest in Columbus. I felt so disoriented after their set, similar to how I've felt after Sunn0))) and Wolf Eyes shows. 

Again, that's just their death metal stuff, I don't listen to anything else they put out. When I mentioned this on FB a friend of mine (coincidentally the concern troll haha) named four different bands that were totally outside of that realm. I think if you had to nail their death metal style, you can just go back to Vastum. 

The new Witch Vomit is gonna suck btw. They're going Gothenburg. If you like that sound then jump right in I guess. 

20 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

A bud of mine that played bass with me in an old band didn't care for it. He says the 20 Buck bands are starting to get the same production style and similar visual setup like labels such as Century Media or Nuclear Blast used to have. As far as the death metal goes, I pretty much agree. 

Good thing or bad thing?

The aesthetic is fine by me, but it depends on the bands. Some of the stuff like Fetid, Cerebral Rot and Cadaveric Incubator are okay but not exactly the sharpest of scalpels. After some thought I realize that I, for being as opinionated as I am, can be pretty lenient with my death metal and either give second chances or overlook flaws initially. Hell just the other day I was listening to Acheron and Benediction for some reason I can't really gather. They were always third-tier. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

If you get a chance to see Left To Die (Rick Rozz and Terry Butler [Death, Massacre, Obituary, etc.] with Matt Harvey from Exhumed and some drummer playing all of Death's Leprosy and choice cuts from Scream Bloody Gore) then jump at it. It's fucking killer. Rozz plays with his eyes closed the whole time like he's in a somnolent trance that forces him to play guitar solos with a lot of whammy bar action. Harvey can bust out an Evil Chuck scream that lasts like 20 seconds. They threatened to play "Corpsegrinder" by Massacre on the printed setlist that they were selling copies of, but no dice this go-round. I felt slightly cheated but it was all very very good. They sell shirts, Death and Mantas CDs and vinyl, and posters along with the setlists and will sign your stuff too! 

Flesher opened and were also really good. Mostly midpaced and (dare I say it) groovy death metal that despite any kind of behind-the-beatness is seriously dark and heavy. They also fixed up a laptop to play cool videos through a projector that they mashed up from old splatter movies. I caught a fair amount of Argento, but had to sit out of range due to my brutalized feet after a couple songs. Check their album out: https://flesher1.bandcamp.com/album/tales-of-grotesque-demise

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1