DVDVR Message Board

YOUR 2014 Omnibus Festival Thread

Casey

I don't know if you know who this is, but Insider on the Inforoo boards said Kanye West & Elton John are "highly likely". If you don't know who she is, she's leaked the headliners every year, except 2013, since like... 2009? something like that. The new theory, based around what insider said, is no OutKast. Elton John on either Friday or Sunday, Kanye on Saturday. Still a lotta talk of the Foo Fighters, and even some Lady GaGa rumors being thrown around.

So, definitely an interesting line-up, one that REALLY will stand out compared to alot of other fests this year. Two exclusive headliners is a big deal for Bonnaroo.

Yeah, I saw the inforoo meltdown last night. I have a hard time seeing Kanye after '08. I understand that a majority of the Roo crowd is different from that '08 Crowd but people new to the fest have been made aware of the disaster of that year, and it's not like Kanye has had his shortage of performance issues lately with the Yeezus tour.

I doubt I would go, but I can almost see Gaga working the R Kelly spot this year. I just hope for a lengthy Flaming Lips late night and that it doesn't go head to head with Umphrey's McGee.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to take a wild guess and say the comedians this year will, in part, be Hannibal Buress and Eric Andre. And Taran Killam too, I guess. <_< Also going to go ahead and guess that the superjam on the farm WON'T be Ben Folds & the Flaming Lips, since they're doing one on BLAM. Which is okay by me. Jack White blues superjam PLEASE!

That Flips cover of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds is pretty amazing. I know it's a Beatles song, but if I didn't know that, I would assume that was an original song by Wayne. Fits him and the band perfectly. I hope they do a set like the Floyd one in 2010: one set original songs, one set Beatles songs.

• 2 weeks later...

Inforoo trying to bargain "please don't be Kanye" is pretty great.

I really hope we get some out of left field big announcement like Daft Punk or Prince or even something weird like Justin Timberlake to beat Lolla to the punch. I seriously doubt it.

welp, Insider came back today and confirmed Kanye, finally, and Jack White. Presumably Kanye is Friday, since she said neither Jack or Elton are playing that day. She said it's a strong undercard, with one more headliner to be announced. A headliner she doesn't know about = exciting. Also ruled out Prince, though.

Ice Cube confirmed just now. Lionel Richie is expected to be the 4th headliner.

I'm hoping for a strong headliner. The top billing now appears to be:

Kanye West * Elton John * Jack White * Lionel Richie

Vampire Weekend * Phoenix, * Avett Brothers * 

That's all acts that I will see. Some I really have been meaning to see, but it's nothing that gets me super excited like "hey, Bonnaroo really did something special this year!"

A lot of the stuff rumored for the under card sounds really good, but a strong middle in the undercard just means conflict hell.

I guess I'll day pass Hangout to get the Outkast fix unless they get announced for Forecastle and even maybe if they get announced. 

Also, JT at Lolla might make me make the 13 hour drive just because that's cheaper than seeing him anywhere in the area. Tickets for his show are absurd.

I could force this year to happen financially, and I really want to go, but I'm still on the fence as to whether I am going.

I've told people I would love to assume this is my annual pilgrimage until I have kids.

• 1 month later...

For our friends across the Atlantic (and also because it's a bucket list festival for me), here is the Glastonbury lineup!

It's not the best lineup they've ever had, but Glastonbury is similar to Bonnaroo in that you go for the environment more than anything.

959poster.png

• 3 weeks later...

Bonnaroo is going to have a late night metal tent with Deafheaven, Mastodon & Meshuggah.

Fuuuck.

I'm not sure a full night of mosh pits and Bonnaroo go well together. There is a chaos to the late night sets, but it's more of a renewed energy after a long day type chaos.

I don't know if you've seen the schedule, but the late night metal tent is a perfect fit for this year. I think, anyway. The people that will go to those shows most likely won't be seeing too much during the day. Come to think of it, the schedule is kind of odd.

But, hey, Frank Ocean late night set! Fuck yeah!