DVDVR Message Board

MMA Live Event Discussion Thread, Winter 2024

Elsalvajeloco

I thought that was a fun card today. My expectations are so low for the apex fight nights that when I can recognize 3, or in this case at least 10 decent names on the card, it’s usually a nice treat that I would otherwise have ignored. Was surprised but honestly Tyson Pedro’s retirement made me kinda sad for a minute. I remember when he first came to the UFC he seemed like a second generation talent that was gonna bloom along the lines of a Tom Aspinall. Unfortunately that wasn’t in the cards and his press conference comments about mugging someone cause he needs the money was more poignant than I think he meant it to be. The fight game is rougher than it needs to be, damn.

Also Umar is so great, he’s totally giving me Islam vibes in that no one is gonna give his streak credit since no names want to fight him, but his list of victories, like Islam has over Tsarukyan, will age like fine wine. That kid looked good and will definitely get some good wins in the division. Bantamweight can be so great if the champion wants to acknowledge and engage with the top 10 like a champ like Izzy would.

Edited by A.M.B.

• 2 weeks later...

GFz7wUOXMAAEor1.jpg?1707408066

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 97: Tuivasa vs. Tybura
March 16, 2024
Las Vegas, NV (UFC Apex)

Tai Tuivasa (265.5) vs. Marcin Tybura (247) - Tybura, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (4:08)
Bryan Battle (170) vs. Ange Loosa (171) - No Contest (Accidental Eye Poke)
Kennedy Nzechukwu (205) vs. Ovince Saint Preux (206) - Saint Preux, DEC (split)
Christian Rodriguez (145) vs. Isaac Dulgarian (145.5) - Rodriguez, DEC (split)
Pannie Kianzad (136) vs. Macy Chiasson (135.5) - Chiasson, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (3:54)
Gerald Meerschaert (185.5) vs. Bryan Barberena (186) - Meerschaert, SUB (face crank), R2 (4:23)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Mike Davis (155) vs. Natan Levy (156.5)*** - Davis, SUB (arm triangle choke), R2 (1:43)
Josiane Nunes (135) vs. Chelsea Chandler (137)** - Chandler, DEC (unanimous)
Ode Osbourne (125) vs. Jafel Filho (125) - Filho, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (4:27)
Joshua Culibao (146) vs. Danny Silva (148.5)* - Silva, DEC (split)
Cory McKenna (115.5) vs. Jaqueline Amorim (116) - Amorim, SUB (armbar), R1 (1:38)
Thiago Moisés (155.5) vs. Mitch Ramirez (155.5) - Moisés, TKO (strikes), R3 (0:15)
Chad Anheliger (135) vs. Charalampos Grigoriou (136) - Anheliger, DEC (unanimous)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight 
**Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight 
***Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight 

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Jaqueline Amorim 
Performance of the Night: Jafel Filho
Performance of the Night: Macy Chiasson
Performance of the Night: Marcin Tybura

Catching up.

Gerald Meerschart with a rebound performance over Barberena. Put him to sleep with a rear naked despite the chin being tucked in. Don't see that every day.

Tied with Anderson Silva with most finishes at Middleweight? That's.... weird.

Co-main was really frustrating. I’m never one to call fighters “quitters” but STOP TALKING TO THE DOCTOR UNTIL YOU TOOK YOUR 5 MINUTES!!!! He looked fine and ready to fight after they called it off. Either you were looking for a way out, or you’re completely unaware of the rules that apply to your profession, which makes you an idiot.

EDIT: with this and the Johnny Walker incident basically we need fighters to adopt a Bryan Danielson gimmick and start telling the doctors they have till 5.

Edited by A.M.B.

I don't know what to think about the Loosa/Battle ending. I mean if you can't see, you can't see, I don't want to question people's injuries.

But if it's 90 seconds in to the timeout and the doctor asks you a question - you're only answer should be "I have until five."

UFC Fight Night

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 53: Ribas vs. Namajunas
March 23, 2024
Las Vegas, NV (UFC Apex)

Amanda Ribas (125.5) vs. Rose Namajunas (125.5) - Namajunas, DEC (unanimous)
Karl Williams (246.5) vs. Justin Tafa (264.5) - Williams, DEC (unanimous)
Edmen Shahbazyan (186) vs. A.J. Dobson (185.5) - Shahbazyan, KO (punches), R1 (4:43)
Payton Talbott (135.5) vs. Cameron Saaiman (135) - Talbott, TKO (punches), R2 (0:21)
Billy Quarantillo (145.5) vs. Youssef Zalal (146) - Zalal, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (1:50)
Luis Pajuelo (145) vs. Fernando Padilla (145) - Padilla, SUB (anaconda choke), R1 (2:45)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Trey Ogden (155.5) vs. Kurt Holobaugh (155.5) - Ogden, DEC (unanimous)
Ricardo Ramos (145.5) vs. Julian Erosa (146) - Erosa, SUB (guillotine choke), R1 (2:15)
Miles Johns (136) vs. Cody Gibson (135.5) - Johns, DEC (unanimous)
Steven Nguyen (145) vs. Jarno Errens (144.5) - Errens, DEC (unanimous)
Montserrat Rendon (135) vs. Darya Zheleznyakova (135.5) - Zheleznyakova, DEC (unanimous)   
Igor Severino (125) vs. André Lima (126) - Lima, DQ (biting), R2 (2:52)
Mohammed Usman (237) vs. Mick Parkin (262.5) - Parkin, DEC (unanimous)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Fernando Padilla
Performance of the Night: Payton Talbott
Fight of the Night: Steven Nguyen vs. Jarno Erren