DVDVR Message Board

UFC 291: Poirier vs. Gaethje II (07/29/2023) - Salt Lake City, UT (Delta Center)

Elsalvajeloco

F0TRELgacAEEKA7.jpg?1688593320

UFC 291: Poirier vs. Gaethje II 
July 29, 2023
Salt Lake City, UT (Delta Center)

Dustin Poirier (155) vs. Justin Gaethje (156) - Gaethje, KO (head kick), R2 (1:00)
Jan Błachowicz (205) vs. Alex Pereira (205.5) - Pereira, DEC (split)
Derrick Lewis (263.5) vs. Marcos Rogério de Lima (262) - Lewis, TKO (punches), R1 (0:33)
Tony Ferguson (155) vs. Bobby Green (155.5) - Green, SUB (arm triangle choke), R3 (4:54)
Michael Chiesa (170) vs. Kevin Holland (169.5) - Holland, SUB (d'arce choke), R1 (2:39)

ABC / ESPN / ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Trevin Giles (170) vs. Gabriel Bonfim (170) - Bonfim, SUB (guillotine choke), R1 (1l13)
C.J. Vergara (125.5) vs. Vinicius Salvador (128.5)* - Vergara, DEC (unanimous)
Roman Kopylov (185) vs. Claudio Ribeiro (185.5) - Kopylov, KO (head kick), R2 (0:33)
Jake Matthews (170) vs. Darrius Flowers (170.5) - Matthews, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (2:37)

ESPN+ / Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Matthew Semelsberger (169.5) vs. Uroš Medić (170.5) - Medić, TKO (strikes), R3 (2:36)
Miranda Maverick (125.5) vs. Priscila Cachoeira (125) - Maverick, SUB (armbar), R3 (2:11)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight 

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Kevin Holland
Performance of the Night: Bobby Green
Performance of the Night: Derrick Lewis
Performance of the Night: Justin Gaethje

Attendance: 18,467
Gate: $6.56 million

• Like 1

Looking forward to the main event and co-main event the most. Dustin Poirier vs. Justin Gaethje on paper is a FOTYC. Fancy Dustin by decision. Lightweight is the best division in the UFC and has been since 2009. Be interesting to see Alex Pereira moving up to Light Heavyweight and after losing his UFC Middleweight Championship last time out getting KTFO to Israel Adesanya. Pereira KO's Jan Błachowicz in R2. Tony Ferguson really needs to retire having lost five in a row, one was uncomfortable to watch with Gaethje inflicting life changing beating to Tony and the second, going out cold to Michael Chandler's front kick. I was really concerned for Tony as he was unconscious a while. Green by decision.

Edited by The Natural

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

Looking forward to the main event and co-main event the most. Dustin Poirier vs. Justin Gaethje on paper is a FOTYC. Fancy Dustin by decision. Lightweight is the best division in the UFC and has been since 2009. Be interesting to see Alex Pereira moving up to Light Heavyweight and after losing his UFC Middleweight Championship last time out getting KTFO to Israel Adesanya. Pereira KO's Jan Błachowicz in R2. Tony Ferguson really needs to retire having lost five in a row, one was uncomfortable to watch with Gaethje inflicting life changing beating to Tony and the second, going out cold to Michael Chandler's front kick. I was really concerned for Tony as he was unconscious a while. Green by decision.

i read that Poirier had not travelled out to SLC to acclimate for this fight, so that gives me some worry. Still pulling for him and think a decision is the most likely. should be a hell of a fight either way.

Ferguson apparently said recently that he thinks he's 'just entering his prime', so i don't think retirement is something he's even considering at this point. Bobby Green is a very good fighter, with flashes of greatness, but if Ferguson can't beat him, then i agree it is time to hang 'em up. 

looks like a pretty good card overall. looking forward to watching when i get the chance.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, twiztor said:

i read that Poirier had not travelled out to SLC to acclimate for this fight, so that gives me some worry. Still pulling for him and think a decision is the most likely. should be a hell of a fight either way.

Ferguson apparently said recently that he thinks he's 'just entering his prime', so i don't think retirement is something he's even considering at this point. Bobby Green is a very good fighter, with flashes of greatness, but if Ferguson can't beat him, then i agree it is time to hang 'em up. 

looks like a pretty good card overall. looking forward to watching when i get the chance.

Agree with all you say. On the bold, that's delusional talk by Tony.

43 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Due to Pereira being 4 pounds over.

Feel for Wonderboy.

I would say Ribeiro is going to regret going for a take down instead of possibly finishing Kopylov with strikes in the first.... but after that head kick he's not going to remember this fight to regret it. Nasty.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Go ahead and look up Gabriel Bonfim's record and how many wins by some sort of choke he has.

170 better protect their necks.

It looked like it was going to slide off, but from the other angle over the top, it looked like he was trying to manually decapitate Trevin Giles. Brutal.

Just woken up to see what I've missed. Six straight losses in a row for Tony Ferguson. You have to remember he once had a 12 Fight win streak in MMA's deepest division. Tony going the way BJ Penn, Jonny Hendricks, Cody Garbrandt and Chuck Liddell went.