DVDVR Message Board

2022 NCAA BB OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

Georgia has fired Tom Crean

The buyout clause in the six-year, $19.8 million contract Crean signed in 2018 decreased from $7.2 million to $3.2 million with the end of the season

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Georgia has fired Tom Crean

What a disaster his whole run was there. 

He's from here in Mt. Pleasant so I always kinda root for him* but there was no chance in hell they weren't going to fire him after he only won six games this year, and just one in SEC play.

*This does not apply to Matt LaFleur on the grounds of fuck the Packers.

20 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The coaching carousel is starting to spin

Bruce Weber is stepping down at Kansas State

I can't believe he'd been there for a decade already.  Feels like it was only a couple of years.

• Like 1

The Citadel has fired men's basketball coach Duggar Baucom after seven seasons.

He had one winning season in those 7 years and that was going 13-12 in the cursed COVID year.

Must be nice work if you can get it

Florida Gulf Coast is hiring Pat Chambers as HC (because of course they are)

Of course the awkward part is they still haven't fired Michael Fly who, oh by the way, will still be coaching the team during the TBC

Is Georgetown really not going to fire Ewing?

Like, I know he's an all-time legend at the school, and they have him that big extension cause they happened to get hot at the right time in the conference tourney, but holy hell, they went 6-25 and 0-19 in the conference this year. They can't possibly run this back, can they?

They also stuck with JTIII way past the point where it was clear he was toast.

The flipside of the goodwill you get for hiring a high-profile alum as coach is that firing him is pretty much always going to be politically painful in some way.

• Like 1

At some point the University has to break their ties with John Thompson and firing Patrick Ewing is going to be that step.

It just seems that they are still not prepared to rip that band-aid off

• Like 2

Kenny Payne is Louisville's new coach.  

I live in Louisville, but I'm not from here originally.  It's kind of funny as an "outsider" to see how people here overestimate how good a job the head basketball coach is here. Don't get me wrong, there was a time not too long ago that it was a very prestigious position, but all of the recent controversies and violations have dulled it quite a lot.  They were tossing around so many big names as candidates here, it was ridiculous.  

That said, I think Payne is a good hire for them.  Apparently, he's an amazing recruiter and he has ties to the program.  Hopefully he can get things back on track.

Howland taking UCLA to three straight final fours has to be one of the all-time great anomalies in college basketball considering the rest of his career has gone and what we found out about the program after the fact.

• Like 1