DVDVR Message Board

The Cricket Thread, Mark 2

SirFozzie

• 3 weeks later...

They shouldn't let the Pakistani top order get on the plane home. they needed a huge rescue job in the first innings, and are currently 67/7 in the second.

Then again, it just may be seasonal allergies, as India and South Africa only needed 4 and a third sessions to lose 33 wickets (India winning by seven wickets).

Watch the head honchos at ICC think this is the best thing ever. TWO DAY TESTS!

• 2 weeks later...

If I were a Cricket administrator, I might try and do something to stop players leaving franchise leagues just before the play-offs begin. Were I an actual fan of the Brisbane Heat, I might be somewhat chapped that they lose their two top run scorers and then find it difficult to score more than 120 runs in a finals match.

• 2 weeks later...

BBC Sport:

England produced one of their best ever away wins, stunning India with a 28-run victory in a heart-stopping finish to the first Test in Hyderabad.

Inspired by one of the all-time great innings by Ollie Pope and a beguiling 7-62 from debutant spinner Tom Hartley, England set India 231 to win, then hustled the hosts out for 202 in the final over of the extra half-hour at the end of the fourth day.

Beating a team that had lost only three of their previous 46 home Tests is remarkable in itself, but England did it with a vastly inexperienced attack and with senior spinner Jack Leach hampered by injury.

England recovered from a first-innings deficit of 190 - only twice before in Test history have they overturned such a margin to win. India have never before lost a home Test when taking a lead in excess of 100.

After England began on 316-6, Pope pushed on to 196, the highest second-innings score ever made by an England batter in India. The tourists were bowled out for 420 on the stroke of lunch.

The target should have been within India's reach, even on the wearing pitch, but the hosts buckled. England were led by the brilliant Hartley, who also made 34 with the bat.

A collapse of 4-24 ripped the guts out of the India middle order and reduced the home supporters to an eerie silence.

With India on the brink, KS Bharat and Ravichandran Ashwin combined for a rearguard partnership of 78 that made the crowd believe again. India had the momentum, only for Hartley to bowl Bharat with a beauty.

The extra time was allowed, the shadows closed in. Ashwin danced past Hartley to be stumped, but still India were not beaten.

Jasprit Bumrah and Mohammed Siraj swiped 25 for the final wicket before Siraj was stumped off Hartley to spark wild England celebrations.

---

Amazing!

This is what you would have got for judging a five (well, four) day game after the first.

In other cricket news, Shamar Joseph could retire tomorrow and still be one of the true legends of West Indian cricket after only two tests.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2024 at 6:58 PM, DangerMark said:

In other cricket news, Shamar Joseph could retire tomorrow and still be one of the true legends of West Indian cricket after only two tests.

I'm sure everyone in the Caribbean will be shouting him drinks for the rest of his life.

EDIT:  apparently he doesn't drink alcohol, but you get the gist.

Edited by Cleavy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

New record for high batsman score at Lord's.. 335 not out in a county championship game.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/68749184

I always thought that if someone is on an innings like this, they should let them bat as long as they want, with the innings declared afterwards, and time added on to make up for the time lost.

what could they have got? 500?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From women's cricket , the indonesian  teenager Rohmalia Rohmalia had a good game in the fifth t20I vs Mongolia .. 3.2 overs, 7-0.

That is, if you're using the Australian scoring nomenclature: That's right.. she bowled 3.2 overs, didn't give up a run, and got 7 wickets.

Most bowlers couldn't get seven wickets in 19 balls if they were bowling without a batsman..