DVDVR Message Board

Question about deck-building games, imparticular Legendary: A Marvel game

Big Fresh

So I bought Legendary: A Marvel Deck-Building Game as a big Marvel fan and I'm trying to figure out how to play it. I think I got most of it. But the one part that confuses me is what is the difference between your Discard Pile and your Played Cards pile? Doesn't a card get discarded after you play it?

No, you don't discard until the end of your turn.  You can kind of just lay the cards in front of you, once played, until then.  That way they still count for Cap's effects and other things (you can still KO them with a Sentinel, for instance).  There's clearer language in the rulebook about how there are cards in your hand and there are also "your cards" or "cards you have," which includes those in your hand AND those you've already played this turn.

Big Legendary fan here.

Thank you. I think I figured out my problem. Everytime I picked a new hand, I was putting my discard pile back into my deck, so I never really had a discard pile more than one turn. Now it seems I was doing this wrong. You're not supposed to out your discard pile back into your deck until your deck is empty, right?

And Dog, this game seems like a blast so far. I also picked up the Dark City expansion and preordered the Fantastic Four one. My biggest bummer so far is once you get the expansion, you run out of card dividers. So I had to use index cards.

You don't shuffle your discard pile until you need to draw again.  So even if you have no cards in your "draw pile," the discard doesn't get shuffled until the end of your turn or an effect tells you to draw one or more cards. 

The base set is nice, but Dark City really puts it on another gameplay level that makes it much more engaging and satisfying.  I'm also currently awaiting the Fantastic Four set.  It's on a truck somewhere along the east coast. 

One other thing that bugs me slightly: repeat cards in the villain groups. Were two Mystiques, Blobs, Sabretooths really needed in the Brotherhood group, for example? How about Pyro, Mastermind, Multiple Man...?

Of course, this is just picking nits.

I really only use the dividers for heroes and to separate the wounds, officers, bystanders and starting decks.  I lump all the henchmen together, and all the villains in a different group, as there really aren't that many, so they're easy enough to sort through.  I also don't sleeve (just me and my girl playing, so we're kind of on the "honor system" when it comes to telltale damage), so I should have room enough for Fantastic Four AND February's Spider-Man set!

It kind of blows my mind how bent out of shape people get about the lack of dividers.  There are people on Board Game Geek who (claim to) have given up on the game for solely that reason.  Your index card idea seems like a simple and viable solution.

Be a man and play Magic: the Gathering and dump your life savings on a deck that you can only use for maybe a year.

I haven't played in 15 years but still have all my cards. I should just show up to some event and marvel at how many cards I was using have been banned for actually doing something useful.

How big are the cards in the Marvel DBG? If they're standard sized (same as Magic, WoWTCG, Ascension, etc), I'd say get a few hundred sleeves, sleeve the whole game up (so the cards last longer), and put it in a 800 count box or something, and make your own dividers.

I haven't played this specific game, but I have played a ton of Dominion (very good, get the base set to see if you like the game play, then get Intrigue, Propserity, and Hinterlands), Ascension (get Storm of Souls and Immortal Heroes or buy the app), and some Penny Arcade DBG (it's bad, don't get it), as well as some truly hideous games like the Star Trek:TNG DBG and the Resident Evil DBG.

Dominion is a tremendous game, everyone should play it. James, I'm surprised you don't like the star trek deck builder, a lot of people love it.

The deck building mechanic has started being used in some really innovative ways in more traditional board games as well. Trains by AEG melds Dominion and Ticket to Ride, while A Few Acres of Snow is a great war game with a DBG component.

I need to find a group in St. Louis to play this with. Because I'm having fun doing the solo game, but

1. Playing this alone is the nerdiest thing anyone can ever do.

2. Being a rookie to deck-building, I find myself making rule mistake. "Wait... Did I play a Villain Card at the start of that turn?" is something I've said often.

I'm gonna go try by the same numbers that were in Dark City (if I can think of enough without repeating what is already in the game!). 17 Heroes, 5 Masterminds, 6 Villain groups, 2 Henchmen groups. I'm not nearly experienced enough in this game to pretend I can think of schemes.Heroes:1. Luke Cage (Marvel Knights)2. Dr. Strange (Marvel Knights)3. Iron Patriot4. Namor the Sub-Mariner (though he seems to be legally banned from Lego Marvel Superheroes, so I don't know if they could put him in this)5. Beast (X-Men)6. Venom (Flash Thompson) (Sorry Eddie Brock fans, he's already in a villain group)7. Red Hulk8. Hank Pym (Avengers)9. Moon Knight (Marvel Knights)10. The Wasp (Avengers)11. Black Panther (Avengers)12. Ms. Marvel (Avengers)13. Star-Lord (Guardians of the Galaxy)14. Gamora (Guardians of the Galaxy)15. Drax the Destroyer (Guardians of the Galaxy)16. Rocket Raccoon (Guardians of the Galaxy)17. Groot (Guardians of the Galaxy)Just missed the cut: Black Cat (Spider-Friends), Black Bolt, She-Hulk, Ares, Nova (Guardians of the Galaxy), Psylocke (X-Force), Spider-Woman (S.H.I.E.L.D.)Masterminds:1. M.O.D.O.K. ("Always Leads: A.I.M. High Council and A.I.M. Scientists")2. Wizard ("Always Leads: Frightful Four")3. Norman Osbourne (complete with "Always Leads: Spider-Foes" and "Can't fight the Mastermind while Green Goblin is active" rule that someone else suggested in a different thread)4. The Mandarin ("Always Leads: Mandarin's Minions")5. The Hood ("Always Leads: Crime Syndicate")Just missed the cut: Titanium Man, Crimson Dynamo, Dormammu, Baron Mordo, Shuma-Gorath, Michael Korvac (also would like Ultron, but he's already in the Masters of Evil... for some reason)Villian Groups:1. Crime Syndicate (Chemistro, Bushwhacker, Madam Masque, Purple Man)2. Sinister (Vulture, Mysterio, Shocker, Chameleon)3. A.I.M. High Council (Taskmaster, Graviton, Superia, Black Widow [Yelena Belova])4. Dark Avengers (Moonstone, Daken, Ragnarok, Trickshot)5. Frightful Four (Klaw, Hydro-Man, Sandman, Constrictor)6. Mandarin's Minions (Living Laser, Executioner, Swordsman, Power Man [Erik Josten])Just missed the cut: Wrecking Crew (Bulldozer, Piledriver, Thunderball, Wrecker)Henchmen Groups:1. A.I.M. Scientists2. Mindless Ones

I would if Magic: the Gathering had Daredevil in it!

Were you ever into Vs.?  The hardcore players of that game STILL complain that it's gone, 4 years later.  Some of them won't even try Legendary because it was axed (produced by the same company).

I loved OverPower, the very first Marvel TCG back in the day, but good God that thing must have never been playtested.  Half the cards are useless in competitive play.  Kinda wish someone would revamp it for the 21st century.