DVDVR Message Board

UFC 238: Cejudo vs. Moraes (6/8/2019) - Chicago, IL (United Center)

Elsalvajeloco

D4ZWokqWkAEHkaM.jpg?1555865183

UFC 238: Cejudo vs. Moraes 
June 8, 2019
Chicago, IL (United Center)

UFC Bantamweight Championship: Henry Cejudo (135) vs. Marlon Moraes (134) (vacant) - Cejudo, TKO (punches), R3 (4:51)
UFC Women's Flyweight Championship: Valentina Shevchenko © (124) vs. Jessica Eye (125) (first defense) - Shevchenko, KO (head kick), R2 (0:26)
Tony Ferguson (155) vs. Donald Cerrone (155.5) - Ferguson, TKO (doctor stoppage), R2 (5:00)
Jimmie Rivera (136) vs. Petr Yan (136) - Yan, DEC (unanimous)
Tai Tuivasa (259) vs. Blagoy Ivanov (251) - Ivanov, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN Preliminary Card:
Tatiana Suarez (114) vs. Nina Ansaroff (115) - Suarez, DEC (unanimous)
Aljamain Sterling (134) vs. Pedro Munhoz (135.5) - Sterling, DEC (unanimous)
Karolina Kowalkiewicz (116) vs. Alexa Grasso (115) - Grasso, DEC (unanimous)
Ricardo Lamas (145) vs. Calvin Kattar (145) - Kattar, TKO (punches), R1 (4:06)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Xiaonan Yan (116) vs. Angela Hill (116) - Yan, DEC (unanimous)
Bevon Lewis (186) vs. Darren Stewart (185.5) - Stewart, DEC (unanimous)
Eddie Wineland (135) vs. Grigory Popov (135) - Wineland, KO (punch), R2 (4:47)
Katlyn Chookagian (125) vs. Joanne Calderwood (125) - Chookagian, DEC (unanimous)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Valentina Shevchenko
Performance of the Night: Henry Cejudo
Fight of the Night: Tony Ferguson vs. Donald Cerrone

Attendance: 16,083
Gate: $2 million
Buyrate:

Cancelled Bouts:
Felice Herrig vs. Xiaonan Yan - Injury to Herrig (Torn ACL)

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

7 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Jessica Eye has quietly put together a three fight win streak, but I think that Valentina is going to beat the shit out of her.

I haven't been too overly impressed by many of the flyweights so far, but personally, I am impressed by Jessica Eye's grittiness over this run. She went from potential cannon fodder for Ilima-Lei Macfarlane in Bellator to saving her UFC career and getting a title shot. Prior to that, it look like she was just happy to be in the UFC. Watching these shows from top to bottom, I see so many of these borderline fighters or fighters who are on a losing streak do the same things expecting different results. I don't like her chances against Valentina either, but Eye at least is fighting hard round by round. She's not giving them away easy like she use to do.

Oh, she's vastly improved since her UFC debut and is assembling the tools and spunk it takes to be a champion, but she's not there yet.

Jumping that far up in the rankings is kinda bad since there is nowhere else for her to go but take a crack at the title held by a champion that is a bona fide killer.

Edited by J.T.

41 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Oh, she's vastly improved since her UFC debut and is assembling the tools and spunk it takes to be a champion, but she's not there yet.

Jumping that far up in the rankings is kinda bad since there is nowhere else for her to go but take a crack at the title held by a champion that is a bona fide killer.

I just wonder if the talent level at 125 for the females is going to be there to really give us a firm grasp of who Valentina truly is. She looked impressive against Joanna, but at the same time, Joanna is not really a flyweight. She looked like a monster against Cachoeira, but through three UFC fights, the only way to not hit Priscila Cachoeira is not be in the same city as her at the same time. Priscila has made everyone look like they deserve to win the Val Barker trophy as the Olympics and her other two opponents (Molly McCann and Luana Carolina) aren't in the same league as Valentina. Just like with Joanna, it wasn't hard to believe she beats Jessica Penne and Valerie Letourneau. When will get to the part of Valentina's title reign where she is evenly matched up and it's not some hopeless underdog in a brand new division? If Chookagian/Calderwood in the prelims is suppose to be a title eliminator, I am not really sure we're going to get that question answered anytime soon. I think the same applies for the winner of Carmouche vs. Modafferi.

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Have to say it's a great looking card overall. Though I still think Sterling vs. Munhoz should be on the main since the winner could be the next title contender.

Based on the PPV format, more people are going to see that fight on ESPN which is probably why they also put Suarez vs. Ansaroff there.

• Like 1

Moraes is a teeny guy.  I wonder if he'll be tempted to drop to Flyweight to challenge Cejudo for that title if he gets by Henry for the Bantamweight title?

The winner of this probably gets the winner of Sterling and Munhoz.

Edited by J.T.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Moraes is a teeny guy.  I wonder if he'll be tempted to drop to Flyweight to challenge Cejudo for that title if he gets by Henry for the Bantamweight title?

The winner of this probably gets the winner of Sterling and Munhoz.

I don't think there is any incentive for anyone to drop to flyweight now. Plus, I doubt the UFC would let him do that with legit contenders waiting in the wings.