DVDVR Message Board

Ura got robbed on Day 14 IMHO. Terunofuji being back and healthy is great news. Two Ozeki in July, Kiribayama will get promoted and Takakeisho escapes kadoban. The other Sekiwake looked really good and might have outside shots at Ozeki aswell, depending on their results in Nagoya. 

Maybe we now exit the phase of a heavily inconsistent sanyaku? 

At a quick check, Hoshoryu needs 12/13, Daiesho needs 11/12, Wakamotoharu needs 12/13, depending on whether they need 33 (the historical standard,) or 34 (the Takakeisho Memorial "we've got enough Ozeki as it is" standard)

I can't see Kotonowaka going up to Sekiwake on an 8-7, probably stuck at Komisubi, along with Abi; and I don't feel confident projecting any more of the July Banzuke.

• 1 month later...

Stats Update Through Day Two:

• Percentage of active Makuuchi fighters need their topknots styling before they come out: 97
  • Total wins for all Sekiwake to make Ozeki: 29 (ten each for Hoshoryu and Wakamotoharu, nine for Daiesho)
  • Times Ura has made a routine bump look like a matter of life and death: 2
  • Kinboshi handed out: 1

Herniated disc in the back, yikes, that sounds painful. I hope he gets better, even if that means he can't fight any more.

Who had Nishikigi, Takayasu and Gonoyama as the undefeated rikishi through five days? Not I. Interestingly, Nishikigi has technically already fought Kirishima with a fusen on day one, which should make his life a little easier.

8 hours ago, DangerMark said:

Herniated disc in the back, yikes, that sounds painful. I hope he gets better, even if that means he can't fight any more.

Who had Nishikigi, Takayasu and Gonoyama as the undefeated rikishi through five days? Not I. Interestingly, Nishikigi has technically already fought Kirishima with a fusen on day one, which should make his life a little easier.

I have a herniated disc in my back. It causes little to no back pain. My herniated disk pressures the nerve that goes down my left leg and it got to the point where I couldn't push up a stair with the leg. His limping around was most likely from the disc. Epidural injections help for months.

We can have one more tournament with Takayasu teasing a win until the end. It would be nice to see him actually get one.

Ahh, thanks for the info; it surely sounds unpleasant though.

I swear I saw a tweet to the tune of "so that's how to solve the Hokuseiho Equation" but I tell you right now that doing anything like Ura would is neither possible nor advisable.

Tobizaru vs. Anyone who has ever been an Ozeki: 3-0. Tobizaru vs. non-Ozeki: 0-3.

One unbeaten fighter left, who would have guessed, not I. Takayasu's Bridesmaid Streak is alive and kicking.

We all know Tamawashi will win that one... 

Also.... 

On 5/25/2023 at 9:08 AM, Death From Above said:

Ura is everything good and pure in this world. It honestly doesn't matter if he wins or loses, he brings us all joy.

I wish I could like this again. 

Terunofuji looked really battered. 

i would not describe myself as bald and fat, but i am balder and fatter than i have been in the past. thus, may God bless Hokutofuji (even if he is often helpless when he tries to be a belt guy)

i have a sinking feeling that we will end up with shin-NOzeki, but i am a noted sumo pessimist. just Hoshoryuu making it doesn't count.

• Like 1

After losing a few in a safe fashion URA makes up for it by winning one and taking a header into the front row.

All this talk of Takayasu maybe kinda sorta doing okay, he's going be lucky to get Kachi Koshi from here; although there was some awful stuff in the first few matches.

If Hokutofuki and Hoshoryu serve up another one like that, I'd love to see that play-off but right now it's looking Hokutofuji and Nishikigi would be playing off instead. Three days left, though.

OZEKI WATCH:

• Daieisho needs 3 from 3 to get his 33
  • Hoshoryu needs 3 from 3 to get his 33
  • Wakamotoharu needs 4 from 3 (whoops, although 3 from 3 would give him another target of 12 next time,)
  • Kirishima needs 2 from 3 to avoid being Kadoban
  • Takakeisho will be Kadoban next time out.

I don't think we'll have a new Ozeki in September. I do hope Hoshoryu and Wakamotuharu can extend their respective runs. With Hoshoryu still in the arasoi I might be too pessimistic. 

It still wasn't a bad run from those three, I guess everyone jobbing too Kirishima is what wears heavy on my Ozoumo soul. 

Yusho could be totally out of left field. While Hoshoryu was somewhat of a dark horse for many, who had Nishikigi, Hokutofuji and Hakuoho before the tournament? Nishikigi's second half of Natsu paired with at least the first two thirds of this one is on par with Greece and Denmark winning EURO as one of the most baffling things I have seen. 

Hoshoryu seems like the best bet, but he's got to get through Kirishima tomorrow. Meanwhile the rest of the Sekiwake start devouring each other. There's no way more than one can make it to 33 from here if they all have to fight each other, which I would assume they pretty much have to.

After tomorrow, Kirishima would have fought every Sanyaku remaining apart from Abi, so is that the last fight of Senshuraku, with a match against Hokutofuji on Saturday? Otherwise, the next highest ranked fighter he hasn't faced is Asanoyama; and he's out of contention for the Yusho too, so those two would be plausible, I guess.

Nishikigi has fought all the Sanyaku, he's got Hakuoho tomorrow, so I would guess he's going to get Hokutofuji and maybe Ryuden who is the only other fighter remotely in contention that he hasn't fought yet. Otherwise, I would suppose a pick out of some of the upper Maegashira who have disappointed. Based on current records, I'd say Asanoyama if you wanted to test him, but who know?

Hokutofuji is up against Endo, I'm presuming that he's going to get Nishikigi Saturday or Sunday, he could also still draw Daieisho at some point, because he hasn't really fought any contenders outside of the two other Sekiwake; if he doesn't get my harebrained Kirishima suggestion.

Wakamotoharu ruined Daieisho's Ozeki's push, so it's Hoshoryu or no-Zeki.

Hakuoho vs. Hokutofuji tomorrow, can't believe I didn't include him in my "who's getting who in the last two days" post. Guess I wasn't expecting him to squash Nishikigi.

You still did a really good job spotting and pointing out the likely opponents.

Hokutofuji can win the Yusho tomorrow, depending on all the results and he had the advantage of setting the pressure. He's also guaranteed to be in contention on senshuraku. I kind of want four people on 11-3 on the final day... 

Asanoyama vs. Kirishima tomorrow in a Makekoshi Decider for one of them. This is along with the second leg of the Sekiwake Round Robin, Hoshoryu vs. Wakamotoharu. Hokotofuji vs. Hakuho, we've mentioned and Nishikigi has a resurgent Ryuden. Daieisho has Onosho, of all people, and if that's a match-up that's happening then I don't know what the hell they're going to do Sunday.

17 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

I kind of want four people on 11-3 on the final day... 

Alas only three: Hoshoryu vs. Hakuoho are two of them and Hokutofuji can force a play-off if he beats Nishikigi.

Presumably Hoshoryu will get promoted to Ozeki if he wins, regardless of any playoff, but the other two will lose their biggest scores for the purposes of an Ozeki push and would need 13 even if they win tomorrow. Hoshoryu is still alive to get promoted in November with a magic number of 11 even he loses tomorrow.

Congratulations to the new champion and almost certain Ozeki promotion. Here's hoping that he and Hakuoho deliver what their uncles couldn't: a decades long rivalry that doesn't end in acrimonious resignation over a fight in a nightclub.

• Like 1