DVDVR Message Board

Best freeware for Windows

Hi friends, as stated previously I’ve got a new laptop and rather than hijack the video game topic thought I’d start this.

Im out of the loop and stuck in my ways a little bit so my knee jerk reaction was to download AVG anti virus and Zone Alarm firewall like I have done for decades but then thought there might be better programmes out there now.

So what freeware do you suggest and recommend for a blank slate pc? 

Depending on your habits, honestly with Windows 10, Defender is actually decent, and what I normally use.  I would grab MalwareBytes and ADWcleaner and run them regularly to make sure you're ok.  If you're responsible with your browsing, Defender and MWB/ADW will protect you adquitely.  And toss an adblock extension on your browser.

I dumped AVG a couple months back after using it for over a decade. It, at least for me, fights with Windows 10 in some nasty ways (long stories short I am 99.999999% sure AVG and Windows Update were not cooperating with each other, for me). I agree that Windows Defender, unless you are digging into some very weird corners of the internet, is actually fine.

• Like 2