DVDVR Message Board

Blue Panther, El Talisman y El Dandy vs. Stuka, America Rocca y Chamaco Valaguez (11/86)

tim.

Panther and Stuka start it off on the mat and it's pretty awesome, though none of the other combinations live up to it.  Ends to the first two falls are cool, especially the first with a pretty great looking backdrop, and the brawling when the match degenerates it pretty good, including a really neat dive spot.  Damn good match but not great relative to the set.

Panther and Stuka start it off on the mat and it's pretty awesome, though none of the other combinations live up to it.  Ends to the first two falls are cool, especially the first with a pretty great looking backdrop, and the brawling when the match degenerates it pretty good, including a really neat dive spot.  Damn good match but not great relative to the set.

This is the earliest Blue Panther match I've seen and god damn it he looked like he was already the Blue Panther we know and love. The exchanges with Stuka early on were pretty great but he also did some great rudo schtick. El Dandy is looking great as well and I'm really excited to see when he gets more time in the spotlight. As with the last time we saw Talisman and Dandy team up there were some stooging and miscommunication though not as much as against Kung Fu. Americo Rocca turns in another great babyface performance and each rudo was really game to catch and bump for his most athletic moves. In the end this wasn't as one sided as the match with Kung Fu in it but it wasn't as spectacular either. This was yet another good trios match and one that I'd probably rank in the middle of the other 1986 trios matches.

We've got some supreme perms and ring jackets on Chamago and Rocca here. It's like a young Misawa and Kobashi in the ring! 

I've never seen Stuka Sr. in the ring before (his son is really good from what I've watched). Pretty lanky like Cien or Rayo for a luchador. He and Blue Panther immediately take it to the mat. It's not as smooth as I expected, at least initially; Dandy and Rocca take the prize in the series of faceoffs with their speedy exchanges. There's a pretty fun end to una caida with the crowd laughing at Talisman's ignorance and all the tecnicos getting a nice pinfall. Second fall is real short with a mean looking fishhook sub on Chamago. Another angry granny! Rudos decide to use Rocca's perm to their advantage. and drag him around by it. The last fall is clipped but we get the replay. Middle of the pack here. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Disc 6 is basically trios match death and I'm okay with it but between everything else going on I haven't been able to get any traction. Still, let's jump in and figure out if I can figure out who the hell these peoople are. Talisman, Dandy, and Rocco I can recognize. Everyone else is up in the air. Ok Valaguez is in the blue. That puts Rocca (who I should be able to recognize by now but whatever) in the gold. I'm good. Let's go.

Panther was 26 or so here. I can barely imagine him so young. The opening exchange with Stuka has a good sense of struggle but is a little clunky until they start with the throws/drags. Talisman looks like he's aged a few years since I last saw him. He ha a perfectly fine feeling out bit with Valaguez, and then Rocca and Dandy turn up the speed. There is a nice little sense of escalation here. I really do like the pairing off in trios. I think we're getting more wheelbarrow spots here than we did a few years earlier. A nice one leads to the tecnicos getting the fall off of a roll up. 

Rocca vs the world is fun, but not the smoothest thing. Talisman's dickish posturing is great though. He has a ton of charisma. Valaguez comes in and continues to run through comedy rudo miscommunication spots. The transition is cool as Panther just slaps the hell out of an outpositioned Stuka. Thus begins the rudo mauling. The electric chair splash is something that people should use more in the states now, as is, I suppose the heartless face yank rip, and yes, the really, really angry granny. The only thing I missed in the second fall was one of Talisman's fun power moves. We do get the hair giant swing, which has to hurt like hell. Also, the double press slam between falls, which is more of what I was looking for from talisman. They tease out the beating well enough here that the situation is primed for the technico comeback and the crowd reacts accordingly when Rocca and Stuka come in to save Valaguez.

Everything breaks down from there with some good brawling only to shift into more of a finishing sequence with a nice little "heels recover in time to prevent getting tossed into each other" spot which has Valaguez dropkicking Stuka by accident. That's the beginning of the end. Panther follows it up with a nice dive. Talisman locks on a hold. Dandy follows with a nice leglock. Post match, he ducks out like an absolute jerk instead of accepting a challenge.

Middle of the pack sounds right.

• 2 months later...

The first fall didn't do a lot for me, although I appreciated the crowd digging Dandy and Rocca's exchange.  The rudo miscommunication at the beginning of the second fall was fun enough.  The fishhook was a cool submission for the second fall.  It seems like people are getting posted and run into the apron various times during this match, but it doesn't seem to make a big difference in the selling or story-telling of the match.  People just end up in the ring again regularly, not selling anything in particular.  I did like Blue Panther's big bump off of Stuka's leg-trip in the third fall.  The post-match was a bit half-hearted.  This may land in my bottom third, but not too far down.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Still waiting for that amazing Dandy performance, don't get me wrong he has been good in the stuff we have seen overall but the matches just haven't developed into the great level that I know will come for him. I had high hopes for this one when Stuka and Panther busted it on the mat in the first fall but the rest of the pairings were pretty pedestrian to me. Second fall ran into miscommunication spots which were cute but again, I have leaned more towards the hate and beautiful disparity of wrestling in ranking this set. THird fall had some clipping and felt really disjointed overall. Bottom 20 match. (***1/4)