DVDVR Message Board

Heads Up Battle 2005 Ikeda v. Ishikawa v. Captain's Fall

Phil Schneider

I tolerated KENTA/SUWA getting the first look over GoBashi vs. Kensuke Office, but this is just wrong.

Captain's Fall has its moments, but your gut instinct that says "this is gonna be way too long" when you see the 55 minute length is 100% right.

I didn't bother watching the Captain's Fall but I did hit up the FUTEN match because I didn't think I'd seen it, and I don't think I have before. Incredible match shot in Black Terry Jr. closeup with some crazy edits between cameras. Any match starting with somebody just getting flat haymakered is right up my alley. This seems strange but I was thinking of JR and Barnett calling it the whole time and flipping out. 

As a question to the Segunditos, where does this fall in the lineage of Ikeda/Ishikawa matches to you guys? Which is best, which is middle, which is worst? There needs to be a definitive ranking, maybe even including tags. 

This is my personal favorite of the Ishikawa/Ikeda singles matches. I'm not always great at ranking these type of things as I've seen all of them so spread out (and it's possible I missed a couple of them). But this felt big to me as they hadn't had a singles match in several years and it just felt like it had that built-in drama only made possible by them already matching up several times. Those early matches didn't have the history. So not only was the work in this match spectacular, but the history just made it unbeatable to me. 

• Like 1