DVDVR Message Board

The All Purpose Comics Industry News Thread

The Unholy Dragon

I'm sad to learn of the death of Sid Friedfertig, the world's expert on the Superman newspaper strip and the whole reason we have much of it in hardcover collections today. Sid literally traveled all over the world for years just to find, some here and some there, print-ready copies of strips from the 1940s-1960s. Besides me, Sid's the only other person to have a complete collection of the Sundays and, unlike me, a complete run of the dailies as well, which he graciously shared with the Library of American Comics for their publications. It's rare that I cede the title of expert on anything Superman-related, but this was one of those cases. Rest in peace, friend.

From mark waids FB page

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't sure where to post this, but according to BC, The DC/Marvel crossovers are going to be reprinted, including all the Amalgam books. I'm stoked to be able to get a copy of New Teen Titans/X-Men, which I've never read.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/29/2024 at 11:14 PM, Kang said:

The Public Domain version of Micky Mouse appeared in issue of Savage Dragon.

Boy did he.

Like I'm not posting the pages but Bleeding Cool did and I encourage y'all to see it because it is *something*.

The Public Domain years are gonna be wild.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/27/2024 at 2:03 PM, Kang said:

There is a lot of misinformation in Bleeding Cool articles, and when it comes to Rich, he is not understanding and reading the comics the right way.

He is only good for leaks and leaked rumours.

he truly is the Dave Meltzer of comics.

• Like 3

I hate a lot about this situation. 

I hate that a lot of people are using Piskor's suicide to argue that the women he tried to groom should have just stayed silent and that the idea that calling people out on their bad behaviour will make you somehow responsible for their deaths will keep more victims of bad behaviour silent. 

It's also just so selfish. A ton of creators have misconduct allegations and are still doing just fine creating stuff and/or coasting on royalties. Warren Ellis abused over 100 women and femme nonbinary folks and people are still glazing his work and the impact it had on them. I'm not saying this as a good thing. It sucks that there's real limited consequences for being a piece of shit in the business. But as long as your stuff still sells, there's nothing stopping you from working in comics unless you catch Gerard Jones style charges. 

Dude didn't have charges coming his way. He could have kept making comics and likely his perennial stuff would have kept making him money. But he couldn't stand the idea that the image of him as a cool artist was tainted or that he might have to do work that isn't just the kind of comics stuff he liked, so he's leaving his kids worse off because he was more concerned with his public image as an artist than he was about the well being of his children. He left a note that's basically just a sad bit for revenge, trying to deny all responsibility or wrongdoing with real paper thin excuses while trying to get some kind of revenge on the people who actually held him accountable. It was a petty, vindictive, selfish piece of work on his way out. 

I have all the sympathy for his friends and family who are having to deal with all of this, but nothing but contempt for the dude himself.

• Like 2

Dang, I really thought he did. I must have conflated the bits about his nieces and nephews. Well then, I rescind some of the stuff around that bit.

I stand by saying that trying to get revenge on the people you feel wronged you on the way out because you can't deal with the consequences of your own behaviours still deeply sucks. And of course, the reactionaries are already using it as fuel to do an anti-bullying crusade focused on bullying the people named in the note. 

It's just a mess.

On 4/14/2024 at 2:55 PM, Kang said:

Please let him fuck up the Public Domain elements and become the litmus test case for it. Please it would be so funny.