DVDVR Message Board

Buying eyeglasses on the web?

Tabe

So I need glasses.  And I'd like get regular ones and a pair of prescription sunglasses.  My insurance only (sort of) covers one pair.  So I'm looking to get some online.  Anybody got experience with any particular sites and tips that I should be aware of?

If it matters, I need bifocals.

Warby Parker is a great site that has stylish stuff and will send you up to 5 frames at a time for you to try out.  They don't accept insurance, but nothing on their site is over $130 (lenses included).  You could do that and submit the insurance claim on them after.  It's a good quality pair on the cheap.  

Also, for every pair you buy, they donate a pair to a needy person. 

I'm wearing a pair from Zenni right now.  Black nerdy-teacher type frames for $12.95, with the entire pair costing around $25 a few years ago, give or take a dollar. The only thing is that the star decorations in the front fell off.  I don't care about that, the glasses are fine. I'm going to order from them again as soon as I get my eyes re-examined. 

The process was easy enough, the hardest part may be just to pick a frame that fits your face.  Since I have a large face, it wasn't tough for me. I probably wouldn't try it if I wore bi-focals, I've heard that can be hard for online places to get right. 

But for under $40, Zenni can't be beat.  Plenty of styles to choose from, no name brands but solid glasses for very little.

I may try Zenni for the prescription sunglasses.  I don't need anything spectacular and could maybe even handle single vision on them, as they're really for short-term use (vacation in Hawaii in March).  I do like that Zenni has a thing where you can upload a picture of your face and try different glasses on yourself.