DVDVR Message Board

2015 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

What if she doesn't and decides to fight above 135? She makes a ton of money either way. If this was about the sanctity of competition, she wouldn't be fighting Miesha Tate for the belt again.

What if she doesn't and decides to fight above 135? She makes a ton of money either way. If this was about the sanctity of competition, she wouldn't be fighting Miesha Tate for the belt again.

I don't care about the sanctity of competition, I just think if one of them has to move it should be Cyborg. Ronda is the draw, she's the star, she's never been caught using steroids, etc. Cyborg in virtually every fight of her career has had the advantage of being significantly bigger than her opponent by the way she trains and having to cut a significant amount of weight to make 145 while at the same time fighting opponents who could be fighting at a lower weight. She of course wants to continue to do that with Ronda. She's not holding all the cards though.

I don't care about the sanctity of competition, I just think if one of them has to move it should be Cyborg. Ronda is the draw, she's the star, she's never been caught using steroids, etc. Cyborg in virtually every fight of her career has had the advantage of being significantly bigger than her opponent by the way she trains and having to cut a significant amount of weight to make 145 while at the same time fighting opponents who could be fighting at a lower weight. She of course wants to continue to do that with Ronda. She's not holding all the cards though.

Faith Van Duin, Marloes Coenen, and Charmaine Tweet ain't exactly small women. All three of those women are above 5'9" with Tweet being 6' feet even

The thing about combat sports is you signed up to compete in the weight class you've competing in. If you don't make that weight, then it's on you. So the fact that someone can actually be bigger and not be half dead in a sport where you can get absolutely hammered if you are is good on that person. When it starts working not in your favor (ala what has happened with Renan Barao), then you deal with the consequences. She ain't exactly Arturo Gatti facing Joey Gamache. All the women she has fought recently have fought regularly at featherweight. Now skills? That's a whole another discussion. To summarize that, she is much more skilled than all those ladies just because she has worked on her game a ton. The perfect fighter? Now by any stretch of the imagination. Good enough to pulverize those girls and any other girls who decide to fight her not named Ronda Rousey? That's for damn sure. Because she can be 145 on weigh-in day, weigh 146 the next day, and still have skill enough to throw to an absolutely brutal right hand.

Another thing about fighting is if you let someone who knows what they're doing go through with their gameplan, you're going to lose. Shit, that's with any sport. Marloe Coenen can fight Cyborg twenty minutes after they weigh-in and get thumped for 15+ minutes AGAIN because weight had absolutely nothing to do with it. Marloes is gonna to lose to her 10 out of 10 times.

Also, my other point is not who should move up or down. Personally, I don't give a shit what either side says as long as the fight happens. I'm saying that no matter, what the ball is in Zuffa's court. People keep talking what this contract says and what this says like it's fifteen different parties involved. The point being is it's not like Zuffa is going to get into a legit argument with THEMSELVES. There will be management squabbles, but Tito Ortiz is out of the picture. So good on that. 

If it happens at 135, then it happens at 135. If Zuffa and Ronda's camp come up with an offer or both sides (Ronda and Cyborg) met in Vegas to discuss it though, then I don't think there is anything wrong with moving forward. What are you going do if that happens? Protest the fight? You're going do nothing because (rationally) it shouldn't change your view on anything.

I think people going are bit too hard with this #TeamRousey and #TeamCyborg shit. Just be happy you have a super relevant female fight that POSSIBLY (knock on wood) could happen.

If it happens at 135, then it happens at 135. If Zuffa and Ronda's camp come up with an offer or both sides (Ronda and Cyborg) met in Vegas to discuss it though, then I don't think there is anything wrong with moving forward. What are you going do if that happens? Protest the fight? You're going do nothing because (rationally) it shouldn't change your view on anything

We don't share the same opinion of Cyborg.  I think the majority of her success has come from her being much larger than her opponents.  While I wouldn't say that I wouldn't watch that fight if Ronda moved up, the fight that I really want to see is the one where Cyborg isn't massively bigger than her opponent.  So I'd much rather see that fight happen at 135.  That's my opinion.  If you want to see size mismatches you can always watch Pride and the early UFCs. 

If it happens at 135, then it happens at 135. If Zuffa and Ronda's camp come up with an offer or both sides (Ronda and Cyborg) met in Vegas to discuss it though, then I don't think there is anything wrong with moving forward. What are you going do if that happens? Protest the fight? You're going do nothing because (rationally) it shouldn't change your view on anything

I think the majority of her success has come from her being much larger than her opponents. 

This is AFTER you were proven wrong. Dude, she is fighting girls who are basically the same size as her. What do you think the girls who fight at 147 and around the same weight in boxing and muay thai look like? They ain't the size of small forwards. Coenen moved back to 145 because she was dying making 135.

You've already shown you have not been watching her fights clearly.

Plus, you're showing you're not watching the current UFC product. Cara de Sapato (Antonio Carlos Jr.)  fought Eddie Gordon weighing somewhere between 212-220 to Eddie Gordon's 188 (or 187) on fight night. This happens all time now in UFC. Gordon got absolutely smashed by someone who is a much better fighter than him (Gordon is still green as shit) who happened to be way bigger than him.

Yeah man, we don't agree on this.  Sorry but listing three girls she's fought out of her 15 fights isn't proving shit.  Two of the girls you listed, one has fought at 135 multiple times and the other has talked about her plans to drop to 135.  I don't know how much of Coenen going to 145 was her "dying" making 135 as it was her going to a new promotion and seeing the opportunity to run the 145lb division.  Then Cyborg showed up.  And yeah, I've seen all of Cyborgs Invicta, Strikeforce, and EliteXC fights.  She's way bigger than her opponents.  If you watch her fights and think the girls standing across the cage from her are the same size you need to be fitted for some glasses. 

Yeah man, we don't agree on this.  Sorry but listing three girls she's fought out of her 15 fights isn't proving shit.  Two of the girls you listed, one has fought at 135 multiple times and the other has talked about her plans to drop to 135.  I don't know how much of Coenen going to 145 was her "dying" making 135 as it was her going to a new promotion and seeing the opportunity to run the 145lb division. 

Dude, Coenen said she had a ton of trouble making weight at 135. I mean if we're playing armchair nutritionist, she could have dropped to 135 in Invicta.

Keep in the mind, the plan was for Coker to sign Carano AND Cyborg. Coenen was just happenstance. Then, he failed to sign either one. Now, he is stuck with Marloes Coenen and a bunch of nursing assistants.

Also, do you really think a depleted Charmaine Tweet is going to be the same fighter? Also, you think the woman who is 6 feet tall and already looks bone dry isn't going to fuck herself up trying to cut another 10 pounds?

maxresdefault.jpg

Lawler vs Condit for Melbourne is better than I expected to get.

On last night's edition of WOR, Meltzer mentioned the possibility of Joanna vs. Claudinha 2. I dunno if he meant that was gonna to happen instead of Lawler vs. Condit or if it was going to be a two title fight show. That would've been great. However, both girls still have to heal up their hand related injuries. It might be too early to say when either comes back.

Personally, I would use the NFL season swing to do Dillashaw vs. Cruz and then the strawweight title fight on Fox. Those are two of the three divisions that need the most help and exposure. I wouldn't mind if they had to cut the main card down to 3 fights so they can stay under the two hours. You're going to get two quality and high level fights. A third fight would just be icing on the cake. You can even have PVZ as that fight if she gets by Chambers safely.

Also, do you really think a depleted Charmaine Tweet is going to be the same fighter? Also, you think the woman who is 6 feet tall and already looks bone dry isn't going to fuck herself up trying to cut another 10 pounds?

Kind of my point.  Tweet who is the biggest opponent that Cyborg has fought is talking about dropping to 135.  Cyborg is bigger than everyone she fights.  I'm interested in seeing her fight someone like Ronda in a fight where she doesn't have a size advantage.  She just has to decide is it worth the money to put in the time to cut the weight. We are not going to agree on this.  

Kind of my point.  Tweet who is the biggest opponent that Cyborg has fought is talking about dropping to 135.

That's not really a point. Roy Nelson said he was going to get to 205. So did Frank Mir. That doesn't mean they successfully did it and showed up healthy.

So instead of Cyborg having this advantage, let Charmaine Tweet show up looking like a prisoner at Andersonville at the weigh-ins and get smashed by Tonya Evinger who showed she is big and strong as shit at 135 against Irene Aldana. How is that fair?

Cyborg still looks like she is abusing steroids.  Her jaw and head were not that big 6 years ago.  I'm not trying to be cruel, but she looks like Antonio Silva now.  That is what steroids do to women.

Maybe she is. She is passing these random drug tests though. So that's something you might want to take up with the NAC and CSAC.

Let it go man, we don't agree and that's okay.

Hey, it's a discussion thread and we're discussing something. If you can't provide evidence for your points, that's on you.

There's no evidence for either of our points. They're opinions based on how we perceive a size difference between Cyborg and her opponents. To me it's pretty fucking evident by looking with my own two eyes that Cyborg is consistently bigger than her opponents. You bring up her two biggest opponents as your basis of disagreeing with me one of which has numerous fights at 135 and the other who has announced she will eventually drop to 135 and both by the way look smaller than Cyborg to me. But please let's continue to ignore the rest of her career.

There's no evidence for either of our points. They're opinions based on how we perceive a size difference between Cyborg and her opponents. To me it's pretty fucking evident by looking with my own two eyes that Cyborg is consistently bigger than her opponents. You bring up her two biggest opponents as your basis of disagreeing with me one of which has numerous fights at 135 and the other who has announced she will eventually drop to 135 and both by the way look smaller than Cyborg to me. But please let's continue to ignore the rest of her career.

But I thought you had no evidence. :D

Coenen doesn't fight at 135 anymore because she wasn't taking care of her body and was hurting herself everytime she did so. Her words. Not mine.

Tweet hasn't made 135 and I venture a guess she won't be making it anytime soon. She's trying to fight some other lady at 145 or 155. Yeah, lightweight.

Just because you  say you can do something doesn't mean you can or will do it. Hence, my examples with Mir and Nelson. The whole discussion revolves around Cyborg saying she will get down to 135 (or 140 based on her calling out people to fight there).

Another thing here is if Cyborg makes 135, she is still going to have a functional 10-15 lbs. weight advantage against Ronda. Ronda was like 148 (according to Meltzer that's what she normally is) against Bethe on fight night. What do you think Cris going to be? I expect the upcoming IV ban to be done away with. If that's the case, Cyborg isn't going to be 150 come fight night.