DVDVR Message Board

Looking for a new desktop PC

Control

Looking for a new, relatively inexpensive desktop {C to pick up in a Boxing Week sale. Any suggestions? It doesn't need to do much: I just use it for word processing, reading articles, and surfing the internet (I'm a scholar, so I have to type a lot, and I'm used to using a desktop). It just needs to be quick and let me multitask. The computer I'm currently using is 8+ years old. I really don't even know what to look for. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Anything you buy will be more than adequate if you don't care about gaming. Check www.gotapex.com for good sales for a week or two and then buy the best machine you can afford.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

My new PC:

630 watt PSU

Asus M5A97 LE R2.0

AMD FX-8350 4.0 Ghz

8GB DDR 3 Ripjaws X

Hyper 212 Evo heatsink

Rosewill Armor EVO case

120GB Kingston SSD

tiny little bluetooth adapter

1TB regular ass WD HDD

-following shit I already had and grandfathered 'em in

2TB USB 3.0 External

1.5TB external

MSI GTX 650

G500 mouse

shitty 10 dollar keyboard

40 inch television

and the most controversial part of my build...

Windows 8.1

It's perfectly fine once you figure out where all the shit you actually use went to.  Only thing I'm hating thus far is that they buried the fucking button for shutdown and restart way over in some obscure shit.

Best part was that the fucking thing installed within 7 minutes.  I'm used to it being a 90 minute ordeal getting an OS up and onto the desktop for the first time.

Hardest part of the actual build was figuring out how the little x bracket spring loaded  deal fit onto the heat sink.  The Engrish instructions didn't explain how to adjust the screw placement.  I knew I could do it, but still had to watch a fucking youtube video.

Other quality of life shit was like when my PSU had specific SATA power adapters that were chained in a row so you can just plug into multiple hard drives.  God damn was that convenient.  It still looks like a big ass mess of wires inside the case though.  I'm just going to keep being a schlubby shit.

Another aneurysm inducing part was when I fucked up the tiny little power switch adapters and thought I toasted the board.  I just had to switch it around but at 4 in the morning after sweating over this box, shit was getting deadly.

The goddamned case is a huge honking beast. I'm still trying to figure out where I want it permanently.  Right now it's just on top of a shitty wooden table I built in high school. With all the shit inside it now it weighs at least 30 fucking pounds.  It has 6 fans including a gigantic 230mm side fan.  This thing is goddamned chilly if you're near it.  At it's hottest the CPU only gains about 10 degrees Celsius and it still has about 30 degrees before it's considered "getting hot".

Sumbitch fucks like a beast. I'm playing King of Colosseum II full fucking speed super high resolution with a PS3 controller.  Mario Galaxy 2  1080p with real wiimote and nunchuck.  Mettle has been tested.

Then yesterday I did something I'd never done and bought some reseller keys off of eBay.  Splinter Cell Blacklist and AC IV was a bundle for 15 bucks, then got a steam key for the new Thief for 25.  I'm confounded how this is legit but it worked.

Dogs are in the enclosed pool area.  Switchin' to glide.