DVDVR Message Board

Final Fantasy Omnibus

Chaos

Took a little materia leveling up but beat the secret top monsters fight in Remake after a handful of trys. I'm on my way to my first Platinum trophy ever. If I can get past Arsenal on hard that is. And figure out the stupid motorcycle mini game.

I beat Rebirth.

I’m so fucking confused. And this is coming from someone who has a pretty good understanding of the movie Primer.

I really don’t know if it was massively poor writing or what, but I’m towards poor writing.

I really can’t say. I’ve never been so confused by a game before and honestly, it has really, really soured my entire experience.

Here’s the problem - You can do what this Remake trilogy is attempting to do, and right now what Rebirth did, in a movie or TV series because you can easily rewatch scenes or the whole thing to pick up on the little giveaways or indicators for where you’re at or to know what’s going on. I looked at my final play time in Rebirth and it was 150 hours or so. That’s probably on the high side for this, but that is a lot of fucking time. I can’t hit a rewind button to go back and try to make sense of anything. You can’t even really save scum to replay things differently because the game only allows 10 save slots and you never know when or where to save in a new slot.

I watched maybe an hour of ending explained videos today from folks with the ability to just go back and rewatch everything. So here’s kind of what’s going on…

Spoiler

In chapter 13 and chapter 14 there are something like 8 different timelines or universes that are introduced and when you’re playing you never quite know or understand what timeline you’re playing in, what’s real, what isn’t, etc.

Ultimately, the only thing that is clear is that Cloud isn’t a reliable narrator, duh, and he’s fully lost it. But again when you’re doing that, you don’t know if anything they’re doing or seeing is real. And the game ends without a clear indication for what in the fuck just happened. At its simplest, it just kind of mirrors some of events of the original game, or in other words…

Spoiler

More of Sephiroth’s clones lose, the good guys kind of win, and they head north to the crater.

I sort of appreciate what was attempted here, it was just done poorly at worst and confusing at best.

My biggest takeaway is that I really wish the Remake trilogy sought to completely redo the entire FF7 continuity, like all 9 games or movie or book tie ins, instead of this, which is something akin to Crisis on Infinite FF7s. By going the route they took, they could have made things clearer to players and fans other than relying on…

Spoiler

Different variants of the Shinra dog.

Got my first platinum trophy ever today. Remake overall was an excellent game. I do find it interesting that some of the battles I had the most trouble on in normal mode were much much easier on hard mode. The Arsenal & that Jenova boss kicked my ass in normal. On hard beat them both on second try. The whisper harbinger & Sephiroth gave me no trouble at all on normal. Beat them both on the first shot. On hard tho it took several times each and looking up guides to beating them online. Weird dichotomy.

I'm trying to catch up with yall so I can talk about Rebirth. I'll be there in a few more weeks lol.

I've put myself on an extended hiatus with Rebirth.  That one cheese fight in ch 12 pissed me off so much that I need to take a break.  Thankfully Stellar Blade is proving much more enjoyable than Rebirth has been.

8 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Enjoyed the Yuffie dlc more than I expected. This Fort Condor game sucks tho. I'm starting to see why everyone says those additional mini games in Rebirth are a chore. If it's more of this kind of stuff, yikes.

So my advice to my daughter and to everyone is unless you’re a total completionist, just do the absolute bare minimum on any of these minigames. I don’t think any of them matter in the end. And yeah, there’s a whole lot more of them.

I just think of all the time I could have saved by basically speed running every time you go to the Gold Saucer. And not getting every single Queens Blood card even though I liked playing Queens Blood. 

I did indeed reinstall 16 and…I’m liking it much more than I did before. It’s almost comforting that it’s as focused as it is after playing Rebirth. 

I think I’ll bounce between this and maybe Witcher 3 so I can finally finish that.

And then at some point get back to Ghosts and HZD:FW.

• Like 1